iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prettiest Lumber???

Started by JWright, January 15, 2013, 01:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWright

Just want to hear some opinions. What tree has produced the prettiest lumber for some of you?

beenthere

Pretty?  What might that be, in lumber?

Part of Speech:  adjective 
Definition:  attractive 
Synonyms:  appealing, beauteous, beautiful, boss*, charming, cheerful, cher, comely, cute, dainty, darling, delicate, delightful, dishy, dreamboat, elegant, eyeful, fair, fine, foxy*, good-looking, graceful, handsome, looker, lovely, neat, nice, picture, pleasant, pleasing, pulchritudinous, tasteful 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The prettiest lumber to me is always the ugliest.
But if I had to pick 1, it was this old Red Oak that came out of the swamp. I'll never forget sawing it.....bugs and mice running out of the holes as I sawed it. So I made a bench.  :)

****Yep, I'm up at 3:45 am. Couldn't sleep. Emma barking at something in the back Yard.  :o ****

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dgdrls

The first piece of Hickory I ran on my new mill last summer.

DGDrls

red oaks lumber

nothing better than a  piece of ash ;D sorry i could help myself, some say i;m a smartash :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

1woodguy

I like lots of different wood ,have seen afew persimmon and myrtle that stick in my mind
  The kind of lumber that on sight forms an image of what to make from it
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 15, 2013, 03:46:22 AM
The prettiest lumber to me is always the ugliest.
But if I had to pick 1, it was this old Red Oak that came out of the swamp. I'll never forget sawing it.....bugs and mice running out of the holes has I sawed it. So I made a bench.  :)

****Yep, I'm up at 3:45 am. Couldn't sleep. Emma barking at something in the back Yard.  :o ****

Very cool :) :) :)

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

This catclaw acacia was pretty nice.

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Lud

The prettiest lumber is the wood I'm cutting at the moment.  The anticipation of flipping off the plank, sweeping the dust, and the reveal!  Oh,  the mystery!   8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Axe Handle Hound

I would say the prettiest lumber I've personally had cut was a very large, old white ash.  I had it cut in to 20"+ boards and every one of them had some incredible grain patterns.  I'd give a photo, but first I'd have to unstack a few thousand board feet of lumber that is currently sitting on top of them to keep them flat and I'm not feeling quite up to that.   ;)

Chuck White

I like the looks of Black Cherry.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Riggs

Just because I don't see it much, ERC, I love the color and character.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

blaze83

i enjoy cutting walnut, the way it starts out greenish and then turns chocolate  8)
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

rooster 58

Ah, that Red Oaks< He's a funny one ;D

dboyt

Any piece that causes a customer to take out his checkbook and ask "how much?" is a gem.  I agree that "ugly is pretty" and that character is what really makes for a great piece of wood.  I'm partial to salvaged pieces like this cherry that was left in the wood to rot.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Jim H

2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: dboyt on January 15, 2013, 08:59:15 AM
Any piece that causes a customer to take out his checkbook and ask "how much?" is a gem.  I agree that "ugly is pretty" and that character is what really makes for a great piece of wood.  I'm partial to salvaged pieces like this cherry that was left in the wood to rot.

Wowee Zowie, I really like that one.... smiley_clapping smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_thumbsup_grin smiley_thumbsup

Jeff

One of the prettiest things we  have here, was created from some wood that I sawed that was destined to be a pallet years ago. I noticed it long enough to take a couple photos, but member Brian Bailey saw way more in it than I did at first.  Here is a photo of what it ended up being, and a link to the topic about its creation.

She's got some fine figure!
Bragging on Brian.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jeff on January 15, 2013, 11:06:51 AM
One of the prettiest things we  have here, was created from some wood that I sawed that was destined to be a pallet years ago. I noticed it long enough to take a couple photos, but member Brian Bailey saw way more in it than I did at first.  Here is a photo of what it ended up being, and a link to the topic about its creation.

She's got some fine figure!
Bragging on Brian.

Neat :) :) :)

pineywoods

Prettiest to look at, I'd have to say chinaberry, but the stuff is almost useless to use for anything. Brittle, splits, stringy, the alternate layers are hard, then soft, making it difficult to get a decent finish. The logs are usually hollow or rotten in the center.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bogue Chitto

Magicman

This Sinker Cypress crotch has to be my all time favorite.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

The prettiest I've seen was probably rosewood burl knife handles, but I didn't saw it. The prettiest I've sawn would probably have to go to dogwood or curly white oak.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Magicman on January 15, 2013, 12:09:15 PM
This Sinker Cypress crotch has to be my all time favorite.

super nice smiley_blue_bounce

Thank You Sponsors!