iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Praise the Logs

Started by Magicman, November 14, 2013, 07:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I was sawing a nice 31" Cherrybark Oak today.  I knew that it would be pretty, so I stopped, brushed the sawdust off and took a picture.  I then had the customer look at the opened log and flitch.  I wanted the customer to know that I thought his logs and lumber were very special.

Knowing that you care about his lumber will certainly improve your relationship with him.  I realize that it is blowing your own horn, but I love happy customers.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

All logs are special. Sawing them into lumber makes them more special. Does not look like inch lumber either?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Still don't look it. I guess I will just have to take your word for it.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2013, 07:56:49 PM
Still don't look it. I guess I will just have to take your word for it.  :D

Is Magic telling another one of his "Whoopers"?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

At least he did not sell it for $300.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2013, 08:12:35 PM
At least he did not sell it for $300.  :D

Don't start......it ain't Friday yet!  no_no

WDH

It will be in just a few hours. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 14, 2013, 08:29:08 PM
It will be in just a few hours.

Don't ya just hate  "clock watchers"?  :D

thecfarm

Not if thier initials are WDH.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

thecfarm

Don't you be picking on my friend like that.  ;D

Thomas Ruga

SawyerBrown

MM, I like to do the same.  Lot of times I'm brushing the sawdust off with one hand as the saw is moving down the log, and I'll holler over to the customer "Nice!" or "Beautiful!" or something profound ( ;D) like that (if it is, of course ... and most of it is in one way or another).  Even if we run into some bad spots, I'll comment that there's still some good usable lumber.  Makes the customer feel good about salvaging a tree that might otherwise have been firewood, and the time and money he's spending doing it. 
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Brucer

As Tom used to say, "brag on your customer."
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Tom the Sawyer

It's not a 'pitch', I almost always find something to like in my client's logs and often take photos.  Today for example, I was milling for a client who actually found someone to split his oversized walnut logs.  That's pretty rare so I took a photo, and of his 23" wide, 8/4, clear planks.  Almost 2000 board feet today.

The stops are 18" tall,

Lighting conditions weren't very helpful.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

thecfarm

If I was off bearing I would of left to get something to eat and forget to come back.  :D   

dboyt

I've even gone so far as to pour denatured alcohol on a cant to show woodworking customers what to expect when they apply a finish.  Really makes the grain pop out.  Tom, it looks like you must have pretty strong hydraulics on that mill.  Bet you had a real happy customer!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

wormy

That looks like a real million dollar walnut nice job tom

WDH

That is one of those highly valuable walnut trees.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Them need hallelujah praises.   :D   :D

Tom the Sawyer

This was a mobile job an hour from home, 33 degrees with a 20 mph SSW wind (it did get warmer during the day).  The first kid they sent to help was about 20 years old.  He helped me pull the first slabs but when I started making boards (4/4x19"x7.5') he just stood there.  I asked if he could pull the boards and his reply was, "no, I can't lift those (he didn't even try)."  So I milled a board, and put it in the pickup; milled a board and put it in the pickup; etc. for most of the log while my 'helper' stood there shivering.   smiley_annoyed01 smiley_annoyed01

A supervisor showed up and asked why I was doing everything.  "He said he can't lift the boards".   Supervisor wasn't pleased and said, "he just doesn't want to work."   They left and a middle-aged guy showed up and worked his tail off.  For the 8/4 there were two and sometimes three off-bearing and we got into a rhythm.  Worked til dark and hooked up by flashlight.  Client got over 1750 bf of 8/4 walnut, widths from 10-23" = happy client.    smiley_thumbsup
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Thank You Sponsors!