iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where Bandmills go to die

Started by Jeff, June 02, 2008, 09:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Well, at least it appears that way.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

They're just waitin for those trees to grow in the background.... 8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Wahl

Hi Jeff,

Where was that picture taken? It looks too hilly to be anywhere in Michigan.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

logwalker

Do you know anymore of the story, Jeff? Those look like they have a large capacity. Tell us more. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Jeff

Quote from: Jim_Wahl on June 02, 2008, 11:12:44 AM
Hi Jeff,

Where was that picture taken? It looks too hilly to be anywhere in Michigan.

Jim, apparently you have never been to Michigan and have the wrong impression of our state. Michigan is far from flat. If you are thinking Detroit and those areas connected to that, yea, thats flat and that aint Michigan.

However, the photo was taken on Wisconsin, another flat state like Michigan. :)

Were going to have to get Burlkraft to stop and get the poop on those mills.  I can tell you that they all look the same, and there is one more setting by the farm buildings with a rotten log on it.  I have a picture of that with the manufactures name.  Little Beaver Sawmills.  I think its an old defunct brand.

olyman

yes, please find out the "poop" on them-----im interested---

mike_van

The Beav should take better care of his toys - All those parts just rusting away......AARRGGHHHH -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Burlkraft

I guess I'm gonna have ta stop there then.......... ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

I know there's an old guy there, that's all I ever seen around.

I better take Beenthere with me......He's good at the art of conversation  :D  :D  :D

It's on the way to good burgers   8)  8)  8)  8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Bibbyman

No wonder they went out of business.  Once you got a dull blade, you'd have to dismantle the mill to get another on from the way it looks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Left Coast Chris

There is probably another explanation for those mills........  instead of going there to die they probably went on vacation and liked it so much they decided to stay  :) :)

Maybe it can be a night of the living dead sequal and they can be resurected and live again........ ::) ::)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

olyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 02, 2008, 05:09:04 PM
No wonder they went out of business.  Once you got a dull blade, you'd have to dismantle the mill to get another on from the way it looks.
Bibby---as you are well versed in----the art of "modifications" can cure the blade replacement problem------ ;D ;D   not a problem for good ole american ingenuity----------

Burlkraft

I stopped in at the guy's place this afternoon and there was no one around.
I got a look at the mill in the yard for just a second before this big white dog come around the corner  :-\  :-\  :-\ :o  :o

I can plainly see the log has "spalted" beyond salvation right there on the deck of that mill  ::)  ::)  ::)

I'll go by there this weekend maybe   ;)  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mooseherder

Hey....Big White dogs gotta eat too. :D ;D

low_48

"I got a look at the mill in the yard for just a second before this big white dog come around the corner"

Son of Cujo ? Frothing from the mouth?

DR Buck

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 02, 2008, 05:09:04 PM

You just don't get it Bibby.     ???      You don't change a dull band.   You throw out the mill and get a replacement.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tom

I've been trying to read the sign on the front of that mill ever since the picture was posted.  My eyes are crossed.

Mooseherder

Quote from: Tom on June 04, 2008, 10:46:08 PM
I've been trying to read the sign on the front of that mill ever since the picture was posted.  My eyes are crossed.

Looks like it says.
Ozark 2000
Little States Sawmill ?

He also got him a purty blue tractor back dare. ;D

Jeff

It says little beaver sawmill

SwampDonkey

Well excuse my looking deeper at the situation.  ;D

I don't think the mills are worn out. I think the old guy got warn out, he even let the farm go back to the wild. Those old abandoned mills are a reminder of a time a generation of sons left the old patriarch and his farm and went to find something different. That something was WWI and at the time anything looked better, but some soon realized how good it really was.  Those mills remind me of farm implements that were left on old farms to grow up in woods. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

It looks like the top word says Ozark something...could it be Ozark Millworks which I think is a defunct sawmill manufacture?  The area code in the phone number looks like 501 which used to be most of north Arkansas.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jim_Wahl

Well, actually I have been to Michigan a time or two, but never any further north than Midland.
I would like to go back some day, and maybe even as far north as the UP, although I would be
happy to get at least as far as Harrison.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Tom

Harrison is the beginning of the pretty part of Michigan.  :)

Jeff

Quote from: Jim_Wahl on June 05, 2008, 02:02:54 PM
Well, actually I have been to Michigan a time or two, but never any further north than Midland.
I would like to go back some day, and maybe even as far north as the UP, although I would be
happy to get at least as far as Harrison.

Jim, Your invited here any time. We can even arrange for a place to stay in da U.P,.  Yep, Midland county is on the fringe of getting into northern Michigan. Just a few more miles north and west of Midland is where I was raised, still in Midland county. We lived on a hill. Actually the top of a river valley.  The country becomes increasingly hilly from there North.  Harrison is in Clare county. right above Midland.

Here is my take on that photo, and I think Donk is close. I think the mills are from a defuct sawmill manufacturer in Mo. or Arkansas. I also think that this guy in Wisconsin was a distributer for the mills.  Thats why he has 4 of them there. We'll have to let Burlkraft and Beenthere find out if I'm close I guess.

Jeff

This is the best I can zoom on the graphics in the photo

ScottAR

Who'd a thunk it...  They're from Arkansas....  I expect out west AR
unless that phone# was printed before they split the
area code.   Used to be 501 was the whole state. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!