iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Request Chainsaw , bar and chain advice for a Logosol Big mill

Started by woodlearner, March 15, 2013, 09:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodlearner

May I have some advice please ?   :P

I have a Logosol Big Mill that I have never used. I want to buy a new Huskvarna 395 XP to use on the mill. I would like to have the smallest kerf possible. I am thinking of what would be the ideal chain gauge, brand of chain, bar brand, and lengths of bar to get the most bang for the buck. I have heard also that a good sprocket is important. I would want use the ideal and same sprocket for everything if possible. I want quality wood with safety first.

I would like to use a 36 inch bar for cutting down trees and also for doing some slabbing in some nice red and white oak trees. Also at times I would like to cut some oak into smaller boards. So I was wondering what bar and chain would be good for resawing and edging. I do not want to waste any more wood than is necessary. Smooth finish is also something to be desired.

At times I would like to saw up some large Southern Yellow Pine trees that have lots of sticky resin. I would want to cut some posts and also some boards.

Please give your expert advice.

Thanks,

Woodlearner

sawguy21

Welcome to the zoo uh forum. You might want to look at a Stihl, they offer picco ripping chain and bar combinations for the big saws specifically geared to the Logosol. You won't find a narrow kerf bar for the 395.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

woodlearner

Hello friends,

Where can I find the picco specs and supplier ?

I want the smallest kerf that does not void a warranty or become unsafe at the expense of some sawdust.
I am such a novice I assume that the 3/8 b & c means a 3/8" pitch  chain. I was looking at the Husqvarna website and they sell 3/8" pitch chain in two different gauges. 1.5 mm and 1.3 mm.

Would the 1.3 mm give a smaller kerf than the 1.5 mm ? I assume it would but that would depend on if the cutters were the same size.

When looking at the Husqvarna website (http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/xp-saws/395-xp/#articles )  It looks like the longer the bar the larger the gauge, example from the website referring to part number 965 90 27-20   36" Bar, 3/8" Pitch, .058" Gauge producing 6.97 hp versus part number 965 90 27-37   24" Bar, .3/8" Pitch, .050" Gauge   94 cc    producing  7.1 hp

Would those two options use the same sprocket ?

Any idea of the size of the kerf difference in the above part number choices ?

I have heard in the past of a smaller chain but I am not sure if that would void the warranty ?

By the way, I have heard that Husqvarna offers a 2 year warranty for use with a Logosol mill. I think that is true but can anybody confirm that ? I do not think Stihl can match that but I would love to know. That is why I am leaning towards a Husqvarna. That is one of the main reasons I am leaning towards a Husky also the dealer is closer.

All of your help and feedback is greatly appreciated.  ???

Thanks,
woodlearner

sawguy21

The cutters are the same, the difference is in the drive link thickness which does not affect the kerf. The picco chain is a low profile 3/8" pitch .050 gauge, check the Stihl website for more information. I too prefer Husky but this set up is not available for their large saws.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mikeb1079

you may want to pm member mad murdock.  i believe he switched over to picco chain and has had great results.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

clww

If I was shopping and looking for different bars and chains, check out on of the Forum sponsors, Baileys.com.
<------------ Just click on the icon.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

4430jd

I recently owned the Logosol mill with Husky 385 xp chain saw. Used the 1/4" ripping chain and the 36"narrow cerf bar. Other than breaking a chain now and then I had no problems. I would look at a chain repair kit. I have since replaced the Logosol with the Woodmizer Lt 15. Kept the 385xp, could not part with a great running tree cutter. Good luck with the Logosol.

woodlearner

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 16, 2013, 02:16:30 PM
The cutters are the same, the difference is in the drive link thickness which does not affect the kerf. The picco chain is a low profile 3/8" pitch .050 gauge, check the Stihl website for more information. I too prefer Husky but this set up is not available for their large saws.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely a rookie at this but if the drive link is thinner on some chains and the cutters are the same size, it just seems like a chain that is .05 gauge would have a narrower kerf than a .058 gauge chain. Is that right, if not, why not ?

Thanks guys, please keep working over the post in detail, I am very interested in your feedback and experiences.  :P

Gasawyer

The gauge is in reference to the drive link thickness the part that sticks in the bar not the tie straps.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Jim Spencer

The gauge of the chain has nothing to do with the kerf width. Gauge is the width of the tang required for the bar groove.  I have had a Logosol for must be 10 years and have cut 10,000 bd ft. Oak,ash,maple,Beech.  I buy all my chain from Bailey's. use their chain made especially for milling.  .050 gauge X 3/8 pitch. Picco chain is too expensive and does not yield much more wood from a log. I use a Stihl 066 but that is what I bought with the Logosol.  I think I can successfully mill a 30" log with a 20" blade.  Most of my logs are milled with a 16" blade and I thank I can mill a 25" log with a 16" blade. Does not sound right I know but if you try you will realize why. Use the shortest blade because the saw can pull better. Because of the way the Husky mounts it will not reach as far as the Stihl.

woodlearner

Hello Sawing friends,

Thanks for the help and please continue to help more.  8)

Mr. Spencer,  your answers are very interesting and helpful. Due to your vast experience may I ask for some of your knowledge please ?

1) Can you please measure a cut in some wood and tell me what kerf size your setup gives ?

2) Is your saw the Stihl 660 Magnum or is that an older saw that they changed the number on ?

3) What is the specific  bar are you using now ?

4) What is the exact chain you are buying so I can consider ordering it ?

5) I am wondering if that is a chisel tooth ?

6) Does it give the smoothest surface or any chain or is it a rough surface ?

7) Is it a roller nose type listed on the Stihl sawchain and bar chart also known as a RS or an exchangeable sprocket nose ?

8.  Which sprocket nose number of teeth does it have 11 or 13 ?

9) Which logosol mill do you have please ?

10) Would you know how much deeper a cut the Stihl would give than a Husqvarna when mounted on a Timberjig or Logosol Bigmill Basic system ( this is just a system that uses the Timberjig to mount onto a board or aluminum rail).

11) What would you buy today if you were buying a new bar and chain ? I have heard that some suppliers were having trouble getting a certain type of small kerf chain lately.

12) When you are milling a 30 inch log with a 20" blade are you quarter sawing or plain sawing or what steps do you use please ?

Thanks

woodlearner  :P

woodlearner

Hey Millers,  :)

Please take a look at the previous post and chime in.  Any Logosol folks out there want to share their dream setup also for a Timberjig and a Big Mill Basic.

Thanks

Woodlearner :P

boatman

I use a 395xp with Alaskan Mills.  Both the small log mill and a 36" cut model.

The questions you are asking are fun to consider when looking at a catalogue but will have far less effect than technique will.

I recommend buying what the manufacture recommends.  Wait until you get some experience before customizing.

Focus of sharpening and setup skills.  All the saw does is spin the chain, and this takes HP.

As to kerf, unless you are in some big wood or high volume you won't see much difference in bdft produced.  It will have a greater affect on how hard the saw needs to work.

Have you read Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Mallof?

woodlearner

Hello Boatman,   :)

I appreciate your advice.  Sounds like a mentor with some experience talking. 

I tried to find the "Chainsaw Lumbermaking" book and had heard it was online in pdf version for free downloading. I looked around and did not seem to find any site that I was comfortable downloading from. I have never downloaded from a book site and some I looked at were linked to other sites so I was not sure who the uploader was and if they might be trying to upload some virus or something. If I could find a clean safe site I would love to read it.

If I am reasoning correctly a smaller size chain if it had smaller cutters would put less strain on a saw because the chips taken out would be smaller. If the cutters were also smaller the kerf should be smaller if they were running on a small gauge bar like a .05. Sounds logical right ? Anyway, I am trying to buy the best combination from the start and only want to go with what the manufacturer recommends as an approved setup, since I want to go with the husky 2 year warranty for the logosol. I also have learned that some people recommend that to small of a chain on a larger saw is more likely to break, (safety issue and waste of time and money)

I was talking with a bar and chain manufacturer yesterday and the tech people said that due to low demand the small kerf chain was unavailable from them and they said that through the grapevine they had heard that someone had snatched up all the small kerf chain and none was available right now. Just a heads up if any of you are looking for some. I cannot verify if it is true.

Can you please tell me the bar brand and gauge and it has the interchangeable roller tip ?

What saw chain do you prefer ?

Do you think a larger gauge bar on a long bar like a 36 " bar would give a better more true cut for slabbing ?

What sharpening device do you use ?

I would like to get a combination that allows me to use a 36" bar and then also a 28" bar and maybe a 16" or 18" bar without having to mess around with changing out a drive sprocket every time.

If you were ordering a new 395XP saw today what bar gauge and type and brand would you go with for a 36" bar ?

What would be the chain you would order for a smooth cut ?

Thanks very much for the advice and help,

woodlearner   :P

woodlearner

Hello Chainsaw mill experts,

Any updates on the questions ?  Anybody found any narrow kerf chain recently on the internet for a Husky 395 XP ?   Is it still available ? Some grapevine sources say it has been snatched up and is really hard to find ? I hope not.  Please advise for a source ?

Thanks,

:P

piller

I've got the M7 mill and I use the Stihl MS660 with 16" and 20" bars, 050 gauge, Stihl picco ripping chain that I buy from Baileys.  Call the folks at Baileys and ask to talk to them about Logosol and chainsaw milling.   

My Logosol M7 mill setup is stationary, their electric saw option looks good if you had the power available except that for the price of the sawhead you could get a Woodmizer LT10. 

Thank You Sponsors!