iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmaster 3300 Issues

Started by timberjack 450, December 10, 2015, 05:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack 450

I have a Woodmaster 3300. It is hooked to a 20 plate exchanger then runs into the hot water heater. The water heater is shut off, just used as a holding tank. My hot water used to be real hot but is dropping down now. I have a wireless meat thermometer zip tied to the top of the exchanger that reads 160 degrees. The temps have not changed so I don't know why the water is not as hot. The boiler blower is set at 160-170 and I would like to reset it to 170-180 does anyone know how to reprogram it? 
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

Ivan49

Hold your set button in until the dot starts blinking on the temp control (top left corner) Then use you up down arrows to set temp. After a few seconds the blinking will stop and it will be set

Roger2561

Just a thought; when was the last time the heat exchanger was flushed?  It may have gunk build up in it.  Just my $0.02 worth.  Roger
Roger

timberjack 450

How would I flush the exchanger out?
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor

timberjack 450

Thanks Ivan she will be getting turned up today

Roger2561

Quote from: timberjack 450 on December 10, 2015, 06:40:17 AM
How would I flush the exchanger out?

Disconnect where the water to and from the OWB connects to the heat exchanger.  Somehow rig up a couple of small hoses to where the OWB connected(ends of garden hoses works for me), I put a small drill powered pump between the 2 hoses, I pour about 3 gallons of vinegar in a bucket and run it through the heat exchanger for a good 5 to 10 minutes.  When you're done on that side of it, do the same thing on the hot water side of it.  When I flushed mine at the end of the heating season I'm always surprised by what comes out of the thing.  Oh, don't forget to flush the vinegar from the heat exchanger with clean water.  After you're done simply reconnect everything, bleed and air from the system and give it a go.  Good luck.  Roger 
Roger

doctorb

I would take temperatures at all 4 "ins and outs" of the heat exchanger.  This can give you an idea of the efficiency of the exchange of energy.  For example, if the DHW flowing into the exchanger is very cool, then your exchanger is unable to transfer enough energy from the stove to the hot water.  If the inflow on the hot water side is pretty warm, and not getting the max heat exchange, then the problem could be inside the exchanger and it may need flushing.  I personally have not had to do that in my 7 years of using an OWB.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

timberjack 450

Thanks for all the advice. My buddy has a 40 plate exchanger he is going to give me. Then I will flush out the 20 plate and keep it for a spare. Also the 3300 is going, I just bought a 3 year old 4400 . Will heat my house and shop. 3300 is only 3 yrs old. Will post it on good old craigslist.

r.man

Pay attention to the hot water tank as well, there may be debris in the bottom impeding the thermo siphoning or the system could be partially vapour locked depending on the piping arrangement.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!