iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shingle lapsider

Started by Dan_Shade, March 23, 2011, 07:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

anybody have one of these?

Does woodmizer still make them?

Anybody have one in the extended washington DC area?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Planman1954

Don't know which one you are talking about. I did a thread a while back on a homemade jig to make shingles. As far as lap siding, I just use a litttle 3/8" thick block and slip it under one side to lift an 8" wide cant on an angle, drop the blade 1/4" and make a cut. Then on the next pass, I take away the spacers to let the cant rest on the bed, drop the blade 5/8" and make another cut. Put the spacer back...and so on. Makes nice beveled lap siding. Of course though, I have a manual mill. With a hydraulic mill, it would probably not be very practical.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Slingshot

I have one of the Woodmizer's. I have shown it in an earlier post.
I have only used it a little to try it out. Planning on more use for it. Fairly easy to
operate.  ( But I'm not very close to DC. )
Woodmizer has them listed in their 'Sawmill add-ons and accessories'  

DR Buck

Dan,

Let me know when you buy one so I can borrow it.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

clousert

A lapsider attachment is just a rod running through the log bunks, with welded-on cams that rock the cant upward when the shaft is turned with a handle.  The cant has to be unclamped to operate the lever.  For small orders, a cant-hook and a few shims can produce an adequate job.  Saw one cut rocked, and one cut down flat.  Repeat.
Tom Clouser, farmer and sawmill operator in Pennsylvania, partner of CLOUSER FARM ENTERPRISES

tkarsay

Dan

I'm kind of new here but I have one you can borrow.  I'm located in Central New Jersey.  Feel free to e-mail if you are interested.

Tom Karsay
Tom@karsaycoffee.com

beav39

im in maine i have a woodmizer lapsider works great have done thousands of feet of siding no problems
sawdust in the blood

Dan_Shade

how well does it work making shingles and shakes?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Slingshot

I haven't used mine for making shingles but planning to make a few just to see how it does
  when the weather suits me a little better around here.

Charles  sling_shot

redbeard

I use mine for shingles works good its hard to use the setworks though, the blocks have to be perfectly lined up on the clamps so i just fly manually. Mine is a TK only difference is the paint, price is the same as WM. I use the shingles for side wall projects. Anyone know some tricks on the setworks i would sure like to learn them. Making lap siding the setworks works great its just on sawing 5 blocks at a time the shingles are too thin or two thick when using the setworks. I have to manually come down to my pre-drawn marks on the first block then they stay consistant.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Carpenter

Quote from: clousert on March 24, 2011, 07:07:59 AM
A lapsider attachment is just a rod running through the log bunks, with welded-on cams that rock the cant upward when the shaft is turned with a handle.  The cant has to be unclamped to operate the lever.  For small orders, a cant-hook and a few shims can produce an adequate job.  Saw one cut rocked, and one cut down flat.  Repeat.

I've never used one but, I don't understand why the cant would have to be unclamped to tilt it.  I would think a thing could be made to hold the cant securely and tilt it and the clamps. 
     Do you have to reclamp the shingles every time? 

backwoods sawyer

On the accuset 2 I use the "auto down mode" and alternate between two of them, just have to alternate to the other one before finishing the cut so that it can hold that height in the reference then it will set down to the next one. The setworks on the Cooks mill will not adjust for two increments on the same scroll and dose not have the ability to use a reference #, so it is set manually.   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

sdunston

I looked at the SLR and for the price it a good deal if you are cutting a small amount of sidding,Heavy to lift on an off mill and it olny cuts down to 2". I also looked at the resaw att that goes on the mill but I am in the process of cutting a deal on a HR120 8)

thanks Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Chuck White

Quote from: clousert on March 24, 2011, 07:07:59 AM

Not exactly!

I would think that the clamp on the sawmill would hold the Shingle/Lap Sider securely in place and the clamps on the Shingle/Lap Sider would hold the cant!

If you had to loosen the clamps each time the cant was tilted, you wouldn't get any appreciable rate of production!

http://www.woodmizer.com/cs2/details2.aspx?item2=SLR&pn=SAccessories.aspx&option_num=268&i=LT40HDG28-RS&identity=57173&e=G28&g=LT40
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Carpenter

Thats more like I had pictured Chuck. 

How does one stack and sticker lap siding?  Or shingles for that matter?

Planman1954

The easy way to stack lap siding is 2 at the time. Then angles offset one another,  keeping the stack level. Also, if there is a bleed of the stickers, it's on one side only. The other side is clear. I guess you could check for the best side as you stack, and place the two best sides face to face. God bless.

ARKANSAWYER

I have one and only use it for shingles now.  I make bevel siding with my Arky resaw now as it is faster and has less waste.  The thing about shingles is the drop is different from when the blocks are down to when they are up.  On mine one drop is 3/4 and the other is 7/8 as the block changes when you move the lever.  Shingles are stacked on a pallet and it is easy to put them on.  You stack them like hay bales so that they overlap each other each run.
  You will produce alot of blocks about 2 inches thick because you can not saw to the deck.  To get by this I started gluing the blocks to a left over piece so I could saw more shingles.  5 min epoxy works good if the blocks are a bit dry.  Gorilla glue works on green wood just takes a while to dry.  I did about 20 square for a building and a lady bought all the 2 inch blocks for pavers on a garden walk way. 
ARKANSAWYER

redbeard

Good idea using blocks. The setworks I have Iam sure there is a trick I just haven't figured it out yet. Its pretty fast using marks or guessing the consistancy is manageable.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Okrafarmer

We just bought one. I hope to get to using it in the next week or two for making live-edge lap-siding. I realize this could be a little trickier than simply using a rectangular cant. We have one customer already interested in some, but before we make it for a customer, we will make some lap-siding for Profdan's new goat and hay barn. That way, we'll know we're doing it right before doing it for someone else.  ;)

I am planning to use Virginia pine for this project. The reasons: It is superabundant to us, is not very useful for other things, and comes in an average trunk diameter that is conducive to making live-edge lap-siding (typical diameter is 10-14"). I would have used sweetgum, but profdan was afraid it might rot out in the weather like that.

OK-- so, what do I need to do as far as drying the siding is concerned? I've known of people to put up board and baton siding green, with good results. What about lapsiding? Do we need to dry it? Treat it with anything?  ??? I assume we need to peel the bark off the live edge.  :P

Also, does anybody know how much exposure (or lap coverage) I need to maintain as I overlap these things on installation?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

redbeard

This house was built by another sawmiller south of me, he used western red cedar. The sap wood will hold up better than the other fir trees in our area. He had a lap sider attch. But ended up just slabbing logs down so he had live edges on both sides 5/8 thick. You have a better selection doing your lay out and he chose to have the long point of the curve on edge pointing down to better shed the water.

bandmiller2

The lapside really doesn't have to be tapered they can be cut say 3/4" and just put up,it has a good effect. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Okrafarmer

Oh, now everybody's trying to tell us we don't need a lapsider now that we just bought one.  >:(

Well-- we're going to use it anyway!  ;D At least until we try it for a while. One good thing about it is that you get more boards out of a log.

Now, to my other questions.
Quote from: Okrafarmer on December 02, 2012, 12:06:07 AM
I am planning to use Virginia pine for this project. The reasons: It is superabundant to us, is not very useful for other things, and comes in an average trunk diameter that is conducive to making live-edge lap-siding (typical diameter is 10-14"). I would have used sweetgum, but profdan was afraid it might rot out in the weather like that.

OK-- so, what do I need to do as far as drying the siding is concerned? I've known of people to put up board and baton siding green, with good results. What about lapsiding? Do we need to dry it? Treat it with anything?  ??? I assume we need to peel the bark off the live edge.  :P

Also, does anybody know how much exposure (or lap coverage) I need to maintain as I overlap these things on installation?

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Planman1954

IMHO, the lap siding should be (at least) air dried before installation. A considerable gap will open up between pieces should it be installed green. Also, any finish applied will show raw wood as the pieces dry unevenly. Trust me...been there, done that!

As far as exposure, I use 8" wide pieces, and usually let 6 1/2" be exposed, creating a 1 1/2" lap. I guess you could do 7", but that's cutting it close with some of my cull boards with a little bark on them. Have fun!

Okrafarmer

What if you don't finish it at all, leave it natural?

Planman1954

Then it doesn't last long at all. It'll move and warp badly without a finish. If you go to all the effort to cut it, and then apply it...finish it!

Thank You Sponsors!