iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

it was the DanG-edest thing

Started by Too Big To Fail, November 27, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Big To Fail

I was sawing some "Sandy" wood for a guy in Jersey yesterday and the last log on the pile was the hardest thing I've run into so far.  I realize pictures would help, but it was getting dark and I wanted to wrap up as I had a 2 1/2 hour drive back home.  It was some kind of oak, but it had bark like a maple, a fair few knots, but rock hard even where it was clear.  When I hit it with the hammer it would almost ring.  Rolling it I could tell it was extremely dense.  It cut so hard I thought I had hit a nail- nope, so I cut a bit more, no improvement, so I changed the blade but it still cut hard.  The black locust I cut earlier in the day was like butter by comparison.

Any Ideas what it might have been?  Maybe they'd been feeding it powerbars....

pineywoods

Osage orange / hedge/ bodock would fit that description especially if it was dry..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

5quarter

Well, The black locust is harder than oak. Maybe one of the hickories. Bark is deep furrowed and holds dirt really well. Hedge apple has orange color in the furrows of the bark and is yellow, similar to mulberry and blacklocust. Could be Live Oak, but I don't know if it will grow in your area.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I could have been a petrified log.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Sounds suspiciously like a hickory  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Too Big To Fail

Osage Orange seems to only grow in Texas according to google.  Live oak is southern and coastal I gather. 
I've sawn plenty of hickory, but I guess it could have been another type.  Quarter sawn it had nice rays like an oak, and there was a dark spot in the end grain showing steel like you'd expect from an oak.  Is there other species that get nice tiger stripes like that?  Maybe it was just an oak growing somewhere that made it really dense?  It had a very tight grain.  Oh, and it was very green, cut the day before or possibly that morning, so you'd expect it would cut pretty good.  Dunno

hackberry jake

Google is wrong. Osage orange grows great around here in river bottoms. Sounds like Pecan  smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil to me  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: hackberry jake on November 27, 2012, 11:35:49 PM
Google is wrong. Osage orange grows great around here in river bottoms. Sounds like Pecan  smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil to me  ;D

Bark like a maple + Harder than oak = smiley_devil

+1
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on November 27, 2012, 10:43:30 PM
My first thought was Live Oak.

Mine too. And they can grow somewhat outside their native range, I have seen them up here in the upper piedmont growing in people's yards.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 27, 2012, 08:10:13 PM
I could have been a petrified log.  :)

Maybe, if you tried hard enough.  ::)

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

The pronounced ray fleck is found in the oaks, beech, and sycamore.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Too Big To Fail

Definitely not sycamore.  The one beech tree I've milled to date had some fleck but was very light in color.  After googling around a bit I'm thinking maybe swamp chestnut oak.  It seems to have that kind of loose (maple-y) bark.  Anybody have experience cutting SCO?

Leigh Family Farm

You sure you weren't cutting in the Jersey Pine Barrens?  Its a swampy mess and because thats where the Jersey  smiley_devil lives! Any chance getting the owner to email you some pictures?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Too Big To Fail

could've been a regular red oak, just cursed by the Jersey Devil.

WDH

Swamp chestnut oak can be very impressive, especially the old ones that grow in the bottomlands.  Customsawyer and I cut up a very nice one this spring.  It was 34" on the little end at 21' up the tree. 

Too Big To Fail

I'd call that impressive.  Was it hard as a rock, or not too bad?

WDH

Roxie

I'm from Southeast Pennsylvania, and let me assure you that Osage Orange is abundant in this area.  The wood is bright orange/yellow and fades to a a dull orange. 

If you are using it for firewood, it is important to identify it, and separate it from the other wood pile, because you do NOT want to put more than one log at a time into a wood stove.  It burns very hot. 

By the way, welcome to the forum "Too Big To Fall"!  I really like your handle.  :)
Say when

Too Big To Fail

thanks!  But does OO fleck like an oak?

WDH

No.  More like cherry or maple.  It has a fleck, just somewhat subdued.

Thank You Sponsors!