iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree hunting: Giant poplars.

Started by Dave Shepard, September 08, 2007, 04:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Populus and liriodendron species. Not to many big tulip poplars in my area, but some big cottonwoods. Post pics and measurements here.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

O.K., but no measurements on this one. Taken with my Brother-in-law for scale last weekend at a craft show in Big Rapids Michigan.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Dave Shepard

We need to know how tall your reference is so we can scale that tree.  :) That is a biggun.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

crtreedude

Come on guys - stop showing shrubbery...  :D Don't make me pull out a bigger one. Oh, those goats at the base aren't goats - they are full sized Brahams.  ::)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 08, 2007, 08:15:33 PM
We need to know how tall your reference is so we can scale that tree.  :) That is a biggun.

Dave

Hes just a shade over 3 feet tall. :D

limbrat

ben

Jeff

Gary_C

crtreedude

We would have trees bigger than that here, but we use a lot of firewood.   ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Yeah those Carolina poplars get incredibly huge. But here is a whole stand of 90-120' tall black cottonwoods (middle ground) on the Skeena R in BC, 3-5 foot buts. Just have to take my word for it. ;D Or ask member Percy to go over with his tape and camera. :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dangerous_Dan

Here's some that are growing at my place.

There might be some bigger ones back there but these are a decent size.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Those are some big'uns, Dan.  From your avatar, I'd say you have some experience with big trees!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

I have retitled the other Giant Tree Hunting thread, I don't see the need to have a thread for each different species, so I guess it would be best to post them all in "Giant Tree Hunting"

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!