iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RR TIES

Started by mac, August 09, 2005, 09:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

HAS ANY EVER SAWED USED RAILROAD TIES. I have a guy that wants some sawed into 2" stuff. Anyone ever try this?

beenthere

Sawing with what?  :o

There are deep cracks and checks, all of which are filled with dirt, sand, rocks, and even some stuff in there that might dull a sharp tooth.  :)

Seems it would be a venture to do it successfully. Do you have some ideas how to avoid these things?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rockn H

mac

this guy is as serious as a heart a tack. he said the amish sawed some for him last year with a circle mill. wanted to know if i could saw it with my band mill.

VA-Sawyer

Rockn H :  What method do you use? JUST SAY NO ?  I wiped out a couple of chainsaw chains on RR Ties. I don't let them near my mill. If you have a different idea that really works them please post it.
VA-Sawyer

DanG

So, the Amish folks sawed them for him before.  Now he is looking to you to saw them.  Why didn't he go back to the Amish?  Maybe they told him not to bring any more.  Sound's like you got a cheapskate on your hands.  He'll probably complain about the quality and not want to pay, either.  Send him on his way.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Rockn H

Ok, I lied. ;D  Actually I haven't sawed any ties.  I have sawed a lot of creosote timbers and pilings.  I don't think any where actual ties altough I have wondered if some 16's a while back weren't from a switch.  
The creosote will dull a blade quick.  Keeping the lube going heavy will help.  I also wait for cool weather so I can wear long sleeves and not get to wet.  The dust will burn your skin if it sticks.

Shamus

Ooog, sounds gritty and preservativey. Take a pass...
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Dan_Shade

heh, i don't even like to saw crossties with a chainsaw, I can't imagine making them into 2" boards

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

mac

I thnk i will tell him to let the amish do it and leave it at that!

Fla._Deadheader

Smart move.  8) ;D ;D ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

mur

Your customer would probably be better off with treated dimension lumber - 2x8's or whatever.  I have chainsawed railway ties in half and they are really tough on chain.  I wouldn't even think about cutting ties on my bandsaw.  Plus creosote is really toxic plus it can physically burn you.  Tell him to go back to the Amish.  You're missing nothing by saying no to this job. 
Don't dream it, be it.

beenthere

Quote from: mur on August 10, 2005, 01:15:56 AM
..........Plus creosote is really toxic ............

In my opinion, I wouldn't put that much spin on creosote being 'toxic'.  Even the EPA is tentative about its classification of a carcinogen, saying it 'probably' is.
http://www.nsc.org/library/chemical/Creosote.htm

As it is a great wood preservative, passing on 'hype' (again, IMO) may get it banned erroneously (IMO) like Penta and CCA.

Sorry to get off the subject of the original post.  :) Your comment about using treated dimension was a good suggestion, IMO.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bro. Noble

I wouldn't worry about cresote either if I were just doing a few ties,  but there is no way I would consider sawing them because of blade damage.

When we first got our first mill,  my Dad asked us to saw a couple for him.  It took about 6 blades per tie because of the gravel in the cracks. >:(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!