iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting curves in braces

Started by vtframer, May 01, 2017, 11:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtframer

What tool should i use to cut a radius curve on the inside of braces?  I think a band saw would be good, but do they make something portable?

Thanks

Crusarius

are these braces wood? or steel? Band saw probably be best . they do make porta bands. great tools but I have a hard time making a square cut using them.

bic

Do you know anyone with a adze, it's surprising how nice a job they will do. I cut all my floor joists with one, it has just a very slight curve in the blade
LT 28 Woodmizer
where there's a mill there's a way

fishfighter

I bought a used 12" bandsaw for $75 off craigslist. Added temp side tables to the sides to support. Was very easy.

addicted

how bout a picture fishfighter. that sounds like a great idea.

flyingparks

Bandsaw: portable (expensive) or fixed base. As mentioned the adze is an awesome tool for the job.

https://jeffjosephwoodworker.com/2015/04/01/the-adze/

Don P

I picked up a bandsaw to use on one job and then brought it 1,000 miles home. It fit beside the tablesaw. Define portable  ;D.

flyingparks

Valid point. My definition of portable is when you bring the tool to the work, Mr. P. :)

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: vtframer on May 01, 2017, 11:51:05 AM
I think a band saw would be good, but do they make something portable?

You don't need the bandsaw to be portable--the braces are small enough they are portable (or are you trying to cut the curves on the braces after they are already in place)?

On the woodshed I helped a friend build, we used a 14" stationary bandsaw (with a large tooth blade) to cut the curves on the bottom of the joists and the rafter reductions.  He had a cart on wheels the same height as the bandsaw.  We could put one end of a long beam on the cart and the other end on the bandsaw table.  It was very easy to cut along the line by swinging the cart around as needed to cut the curves.  It worked great and you could easily do the same with braces.  Use a spokeshave to apply a nice smooth finish.
e aho laula

btulloh

Sometimes it's easier to move the bandsaw if it's a big timber.  Shipbuilders use a bandsaw on wheels on big stuff.  Just another possibility.  All depends on where you're working and what you're working on.
HM126

fishfighter

Quote from: addicted on May 01, 2017, 09:25:03 PM
how bout a picture fishfighter. that sounds like a great idea.

Didn't take any pictures on the set up. These are the braces.

The braces are 3 1/2" thick.

Brad_bb

If you are repeatedly cutting the same curve in the same size brace stock, you make plywood male and female template for a stationary band saw.  You build a larger table for the bandsaw from wood.  Then affix either the male or female template to the band saw, and the matching one to the stock.  There is a video on facebook showing this technique, but apparently you can't share facebook videos anywhere but on facebook.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

fishfighter

Dave Shepard

You could always cut your braces from curved stock to begin with. Then the grain would follow the brace.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

Dave, If you've seen any of my posts you know that is what I prefer to do, work with curved stock.  Yes it has to be scribed in which is more time and care, but I really like it.  I don't like cutting curves because it cuts across the fibers and reduces the strength.  Granted when you start with 4x8 stock, it will still be strong enough, but just don't like cutting across straight grain just for a look.

Dave Shepard

You don't have to scribe them, and if it's not a scribe rule frame, i probably wouldn't. You can snap line square rule them or make a template. Templating is super fast, and accurate, even on standard straight stock.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jimdad07

Dave and Brad...keep talking...I'm taking notes!
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Dave Shepard

My aesthetic for any curved member in a frame is that it should be a natural curve.  An exception to this would be the wide stock used to make Dutch korbeels. In the case of the radius on the bottom of the brace, it is not a structural issue, unless someone is trying to make a fully curved brace from straight grained wood. I try to stick to either traditional joinery, or at least to organic forms.

Forked giraffe brace.

Brad_bb

Dave, those look great!  I presume they are not housed?  I am scribing the housing.  That is what I should have said.  Lately I've been cutting a lot of 6 in thick braces.  I'll do either 6" or 4" thick, same goes for straight stock -6x6 or 4x8.

Dave Shepard

jimdad07

Nice work Dave.  You guys are very good at what you do, gives inspiration to guys like me who are just starting to learn this.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Thank You Sponsors!