iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ripping chain for Husqavarna 390XP

Started by Crookedkut, February 07, 2019, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crookedkut

I just acquired a Husqavarna 390XP with a 30 inch bar.  I want to use a ripping chain on it.   I have several logs that I need to mill.   I looked at the Husqavarna website but don't really know what to get.   Are there other brands that you recommend or should I stay with a Husqavarna brand chain?

Crookedkut

I looked at the Grandberg website and it goes by links.  All I know is that I have a 30 inch chain.   LOL

mredden

I have two husqvarna (372/390) saws but have never even seen their chain. The local Husqvarna dealer sells Oregon chain.  I use Carleton ripping chain but I'm not averse to change.

Does Stihl make carbide ripping chain these days? About to tackle a large Live Oak this weekend and I'll let you know how the Carleton works on Monday. It has done well on red oak and pecan thus far but the live oak might be a different story.

I'm not exactly ecstatic about Husqvarna bars

Old Greenhorn

You should have a 3/8 x .050 bar on that saw. Oregon makes a ripping chain in that size called 72RD however, it seems they don't make loops, only sell it in rolls. I assume because most CSM folks use various bar lengths and like to make their own. I buy Oregon chain, it's what I know and am not too familiar with the other brands.
 I could not find ripping chain on the Stihl or Carlton sites.
 Good Luck.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BenTN

The info you need should be stamped on your bar, drive links-DL, pitch, and gauge. Match these three numbers and you can run any brand saw chain. I have no experience with ripping chain or csm'ing to recommend one over the other. Good luck

mredden

3/8 .050 98DL Oregon or Carleton available on eBay right now in the 40-45 dollar range. My local guys don't carry ripping chain

Old Greenhorn

mredden is correct. I don't know why I could not find this on the oregon site, I blame their search engine and the weather.
 The Oregon part number you want to search for is 72RD098G and the link to it is HERE
 Seems like that 30" bar length is a bit of an oddball for ripping chain. 36 is more common, but what do I know of CSM's? Not a darn thing, for sure.
Good luck.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

mredden

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 08, 2019, 07:13:03 AM
mredden is correct. I don't know why I could not find this on the oregon site, I blame their search engine and the weather.
The Oregon part number you want to search for is 72RD098G and the link to it is HERE
Seems like that 30" bar length is a bit of an oddball for ripping chain. 36 is more common, but what do I know of CSM's? Not a darn thing, for sure.
Good luck.
It MIGHT be that Oregon does only rolls of ripping chain. Second parties buy those rolls and make loops when receiving orders. Totally guessing here.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: mredden on February 08, 2019, 11:23:28 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 08, 2019, 07:13:03 AMIt MIGHT be that Oregon does only rolls of ripping chain. Second parties buy those rolls and make loops when receiving orders. Totally guessing here.
No, I don't think so, the chain number I gave was on the Oregon site and is a loop chain, with a price, so you can order it from them. It just does not show up in the chain selector search. Probably they consider it a specialty chain, like carbide or rescue chains.

sawguy21

Quote from: mredden on February 08, 2019, 06:07:18 AM
I have two husqvarna (372/390) saws but have never even seen their chain. The local Husqvarna dealer sells Oregon chain.  I use Carleton ripping chain but I'm not averse to change.

Does Stihl make carbide ripping chain these days? About to tackle a large Live Oak this weekend and I'll let you know how the Carleton works on Monday. It has done well on red oak and pecan thus far but the live oak might be a different story.

I'm not exactly ecstatic about Husqvarna bars
I don't know of anybody that makes carbide ripping chain, in any case it would be horribly expensive. Also needs a diamond wheel to sharpen. Crosscut chain will rip but it does not leave a smooth finish.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

smoked

I use the ripping chain from Bailey,s and have been happy with them.  
Hobby woodworker/wood burner
If I screw something up, it is free heat next winter:-)

Chuck Fuchser

At baileysonline.com>, I just bought135 links ( for 42 inch bar) of 3/8 pitch Woodland Pro 33RP ripping chain, for 39.99.  I have run a lot of chain over the years, mostly Oregon and Stihl, and I had my doubts about the Woodland Pro chain, until I tried it about ten years ago.  This will be my first use of the Woodland Pro ripping chain, but I have found that their other chains are just as good as the more prominent brands, but cost much less.  The hardness of the cutters are a good balance between Stihl and Oregon, not as hard as Stihl, not as soft as Oregon.  It is easy to file, without the occasional extra hard tooth that is tough to file that you run in to on the Stihl chains.  I have used dozens of them and all cut well.

Crookedkut

It seems to me that it is better to just by the roll of chain and make our own.  It seems cheaper, I would just need to get some tools to put them together.  

I was looking at Wranglerstar on youtube and he was assembling chains with a grinder, ballpeen hammer and punch.

PA_Walnut

Rapco makes carbide chain. Cut and last, but be prepared to pay. Last time I looked, Oregon made carbide also. Again, get your wallet out.

There's the sharpening thing also...DiamondWheel Inc makes wheels to sharpen.

I don't have experience in using carbide chains, but do with carbide bands for my LT40 wide.
If I were sawing high-grade material with chainsaw mill, I'd no doubt invest in carbide chain!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

PA_Walnut

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

mredden

First-time seller advertising Carleton carbide ripping chain now.

75 bucks for 36' chain. Sounds pricey but not stopping to sharpen after every 8 ft pass through big live oak would be nice.

Can you sharpen carbide by hand?

sawguy21

My experience with carbide tip chain is that it is better for rescue/demolition work which is what it is designed for, too slow for normal cutting. You won't touch it with a file. IMHO carbide coated is a waste of money, the coating doesn't last long enough to make it worthwhile.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 11, 2019, 09:11:15 PM
My experience with carbide tip chain is that it is better for rescue/demolition work which is what it is designed for, too slow for normal cutting. You won't touch it with a file. IMHO carbide coated is a waste of money, the coating doesn't last long enough to make it worthwhile.
That's what I've read. It has its place, but that place isn't normal wood cutting. Maybe cutting RR ties would be a decent use for it aside from the mentioned rescue/demo work.

Mad Professor

I use stihl 63 PMX chain on my 066.  Narrow kerf and smooth finish.  You need a 3/8 picco/lo pro bar and drive sprocket.

left coast supplies has the bars, chains, sprockets, and bar adapters.

http://leftcoastsupplies.com/product-category/forestry-supplies/forestry-supplies-bars-tips-forestry-supplies/forestry-supplies-bars-tips-gb-narrow-kerf-milling-bars/

AZ_builder

I'll put the carbide chain on if I'm cutting mesquite at the base or close to the base. Lots of gravel and sand in the wood. Local shop sharpens carbide chains fairly cheap.

Thank You Sponsors!