iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How would you do it?

Started by CabinCreations, February 06, 2019, 11:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

Cabin, I would find out if a large overhang with post be considered part of the building size or is it just the enclosed floor space? Also where would a stand alone roofed structure (no walls) fall in the regulations?

Just thought it would be something to clarify with the officials as it may open up other possibilities.

CabinCreations

Hilltop - That was a good thought. I just checked with the township and unfortunately anything under roof is considered part of the square footage of the building, so that doesn't help here. 

They are supposed to get back to me about the 'ag' building idea though. We'll see what they say!
2011 LT35HD

PAmizerman

Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 08, 2019, 09:49:29 AM
Quote from: PAmizerman on February 06, 2019, 05:36:56 PMI am thinking about making a desetting and cleaning station but there is not enough room for it. I would not want the shed any smaller.

If the de-setter and cleaner could be made with the blade positioned vertical it would not need to take up much floor space. ?
I was thinking something like SE metals uses. 
How to Sharpen Bandsaw Blades - Wood-Mizer BMS500 - SE Metals - YouTube
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

PAmizerman

Quote from: Woodpecker52 on February 08, 2019, 09:56:26 AM
PAmiserman looks like you get to shovel the white suff and the brown stuff, only the brown year round!
Indeed. Lots of shoveling here. I am constantly shoveling snow off my lumber piles.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

PAmizerman

@CabinCreations  

Here is my latest brainstorm. I just need a fatter wallet :D.

I am trying to model it similar to the baker system.
Baker Dominator Band Sawmill & reverse edger in action - YouTube
I work alone full time so this would really help to boost my production.

For the lumber storage I plan to build pallets on skids so I can pull them out lengthwise to unload.  I will have a pallet for my most common dimensions. Most of my sawing is custom orders so I always have side lumber that needs put on sticks. I've found that people usually want all the same width so I have a stack for each width and length. Right now my stacks are outside and I have to clean the snow off and remove the tin just to add a couple boards. So far this setup is the best I believe will work for me.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

PAmizerman

Let me know if the pic is readable. It didn't come through the way I wanted.
 @CabinCreations what program did you use for your drawing?
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

CabinCreations

@PAmizerman -  That looks like it would be quite the production building. Would this be built off of the sharpening shed that you just completed or would this be a completely separate build? I take it that most of your work is stationary? Do you do much portable work?

The photo came through well enough to see what you were thinking. I used a PDF editer called Bluebeam (I drew it on my lunch break at work....  :)). It's a simple program but it's great for drawing simple sketches to scale quickly. 
2011 LT35HD

nativewolf

Quote from: samandothers on February 06, 2019, 09:44:15 PM
Maybe another reason to separate the mill and the kiln is fire.  If one caused a fire it could take out 2 expensive tools.  This may in itself not be reason to build two but along with the others this may add some incentive if you have the real estate for the multiple buildings.
I see you changed the mind on the kiln under 1 roof. Great because fire is exactly what I was thinking.  I am a super newbie on the sawmilling side of it all.  In fact we don't own a mill, but I've spent $30k on sawyers in the last 2 years trying out ideas. As part of my education I toured lots of mills, circle mills, mills with kilns, etc etc.  I was very surprised to see so many burnt out kilns.

I'd have that kiln as far from the building as you can make it.  I'd also urge you to consider a solar kiln..ok I know you are in the cloud/snow belt but it would still cut down on your energy needs.  I'd ask what you have for material handling?  A skid steer or telehandler is awesome around a small mill.
Liking Walnut

PAmizerman

@CabinCreations it would be a complete new build. I have not done any portable sawing for the last 4 years and don't plan to do any in the future. I have had enough to keep me busy.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

CabinCreations

nativewolf - yes, wise people on here shed light on placing the kiln away from the rest of the equipment. The kiln is a plan for the future (hopefully not distant future though). When I get to that point, the kiln will be as far away as I can without making the transport of the lumber too difficult. 

Support equipment is minimal right now. This operation is expected to be mostly mobile, and since I can't quit my day job - it will be part time. Most of the work expected to take place at this new building will be small jobs where the customer prefers to bring the logs to me rather than pay for transportation and for personal milling. Support equipment will be a truck, atv, log arch, future tractor and my bare hands. A skid steer is a future possibility but it hasn't fit in the 5 year plan!

PA - I kind of expected that. If I am looking at your sketch right, it looks like it would be difficult to get your mill in and out of the building with the sharpening shed located where you have it drawn. If it is mostly stationary then you have nothing to worry about. 

Building something where the mill can be easily pulled in and out is what I am struggling with. I have the land, but of course its a lot of hill in western PA... I will need to have the location of this mill leveled. Based on the geometry of the hillside and the entrance into the area, getting the mill with the logs on the correct side of the mill is giving me some problems... 

WM should consider making a "left hand" mill option where the loading takes place on the left hand side :D. It would make my situation much easier. 
2011 LT35HD

doc henderson

not sure about your tongue wt., but I move my mill with skid steer and crane.  I can jack knife and spin into seemingly impossible places.  with carriage further back takes the wt. off, so atv might help in tight spots with short wheel base
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

CabinCreations

I contemplated what else I could move the mill with to allow a little more freedom with the placement of the shed, but I would prefer to just drive through with the truck and unhook the mill or have an easy way to back it in and unhook. If I can't come up with a good solution, I will look closer into moving it into its resting place by other means. 

I have looked at the dollys that can be fitted with a ball mount. Some of them seem to have rugged tires and a good allowable load (600 lb) - has anyone else heard of or used something like this to fine tune the position of a mill? 
2011 LT35HD

doc henderson

my brother fixes the electric carts/chairs for vets he meets at the VFW.  He has thought of rigging up a little machine to move things.  I have a ranch hand front bumper with a receiver hitch built in.  i put my winch in it when needed but can put a hitch in it and move the mill or a trailer driving forward.  nice when it is long and curvey and you cannot see to the other end via mirrors.  long wheel base nice for pulling, short nice for backing with lots of curves 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

if you build your building and put a shed roof along the long side, it can be open on 3 sides.  pull through front and back. operate mill from the side.  collect sawdust up next to the building with a tarp or broom if you pour concrete

PAmizerman

Correct. Once the mill is in there it will not be coming out until it's time to upgrade!!
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

doc henderson

If you make the primary building 2 stories, may decrease footprint, and give a tall building to put shed roof off of and look cool

doc henderson

my mill is in one spot unless it needs repair and or for camp Alaska.  If you are limited by 1,000 sq. feet, see if that is just the footprint or total sq. feet.  can have the sharpening up stairs, or build the equip. portion tall with a loft or mezzanine to sharpen blades.  Also can get building up and finish other areas as you go.  Will be pulling the mill out this week.  will take some pics.  Had some from another year but cannot fine them.

doc henderson

The shed roof could have a tarp that rolls down on the side and garage doors or tarps at the front and back to weather in for winter, and so that inquiring eyes do not see.

CabinCreations

I was thinking many of those same things, doc. I am leaning towards building to accommodate a second level now that way I can finish it later and still avoid the building permit at this point. That leaves the full 1000 sf for the mill and equipment!  

I am concerned about inquiring eyes, but the entrance will be gated (not that a gate stops everyone...). I'll have to keep brain storming. I contacted a few excavation companies to come out and take a look. I am hoping they can help determine the size of the area that can be leveled and to get a quote. I should be able to really start nailing down some concepts after that takes place. 
2011 LT35HD

waynorthmountie

CC

Looking at your Equipment storage area you would never be able to fit a tractor of significant size inside of it. Most are well over 20 feet long when including buckets and other implements.

CabinCreations

waynorth - I noticed that as I started working with the space a little more. I don't currently have a real tractor but plan to in the future so I need to plan for it. Any opinion on a reasonable length for this area? Thanks!
2011 LT35HD

Tin Horse

As I read all the great info here about saw mill sheds and pictures I wonder about trapped fumes and dust along with prevailing winds. I'm hoping to get my mill under a roof this year if time allows. For those with gas or diesel power are there any design regrets with your buildings? My mill is diesel power and the deck runs on a 6hp gas. I've got enough hydro at my proposed site to remove the gas engine and go electric. I realize dust pick up and fans help but I'm limited on hydro at this location. I spoke with an older sawyer who had his mill under a roof and hated it. It came back outside. He felt the wind was always the wrong way and engine fumes. He even disliked the increased noise. The picture shows basically where the mill would stay and extend the shed roof about 30'.
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

doc henderson

On my log splitter, I did a remote exhaust pointing away from the operator.  hard to do on a moving carriage, but you can at least point away from the building to reduce reflected noise to the operator.  And wear hearing protection.  If it were to be mostly stationary, I would not want to put it in a garage every night and get it out every day

CabinCreations

Tin Horse - I am glad you brought up these points. I have been contemplating some of them (mostly noise and fumes) which is why I am leaning towards an open lean-to for the mill to operate in. 

I am curious what others have to say about those issues though, I'll stand-by smiley_computer_monitor
2011 LT35HD

doc henderson

My mill is outside but tucked into trees so you cannot see it from any road and if someone tried to steal it, good luck getting it out.  Lots of twists and turns.  I welded a 2 " receiver to my crane for my skid steer, and can twist and turn, jack knife and spin this 31 foot long mill almost anywhere.

lots to get ready before camp Alaska this weekend.

Thank You Sponsors!