iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Pine seedling needles frozen

Started by ant888nsmb2, December 13, 2018, 11:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ant888nsmb2

Hey all, I have a white pine seedling, and I noticed that the lower needles have frozen a little bit from the new snow. Does this harm the tree? Thanks.

GullyBog

Don't worry about the top of the tree being frozen.  If it is potted then it's better off in a shed or a basement for the rest of the winter.  If there's no room inside then you could bury the pot and leave the top sticking out or just cover it with mulch or leaves.  White pines are very cold hardy.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

ant888nsmb2

Okay thanks. I got another White Pine, does this one have enough roots to survive? 

petefrom bearswamp

Needles on conifers freeze virtually every winter in the northern climate.
No problem there.
A problem is when the roots are frozen and a warm spell comes along the needles will transpire and dehydrate turning brown.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ant888nsmb2

Okay and how deep should I have planted them? I planted one last night, and the other last week. They're both doing good so far.

BaldBob

Quote from: ant888nsmb2 on December 15, 2018, 02:58:16 PM
Okay and how deep should I have planted them? I planted one last night, and the other last week. They're both doing good so far.
They should be planted the depth of the root collar.

Thank You Sponsors!