iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Yukon Men and Women Get Big Logs into the River - Stan Zuray

Started by stanzuray, November 02, 2018, 02:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanzuray

https://youtu.be/GTsy2DIjFdo
Many logs are gotten out of the Yukon River for lumber cutting, firewood and fish wheel rafts as they float down after getting washed out of spring time flooded rivers. Many others are washed up during the high water and stranded when the water goes down later and are jacked, winched and pried laboriously to get them back in the water. This is a video of an easier way - that is if everything goes okay.  Enjoy, Stan

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

olcowhand

Very Cool, Stan. Looks like you took some Yankee Ingenuity with you when you left Boston.
(Spoiler Alert): Your timing regarding the comment about occasional rope breakage was perfect and aligned with my thought process as I was watching (mentally, I was getting ready to move to my right).... 
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Magicman

Does the abrasiveness of the heavy silt cause any extraordinary wear on the engine's water pump, etc?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stanzuray

Magicman
I get about 150 hours out of a water pump liner from running in the Yukon but in the Tanana River (comes into Yukon by the village) which is maybe 2-3x siltier it's worse. A guy I know lives and runs all the time on this smaller VERY silty river and he wears down aluminum props very noticeably. Other than that it's not a problem and we drink the water in a pinch and in winter it clears and is the preferred drinking water in the village.

WV Sawmiller

Stan,

I saw people fishing in and knew they drank that run-off from the glaciers but I admit it would be hard for me to get used to since it looks exactly like the gray water off so many projects I have worked on around the world. I still don't see how a fish would ever see a lure in it. Thanks for posting. I love to watch you guys build then use then dismantle for other purposes those log rafts.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Autocar

Pretty cool way to log  :D with my luck I would take off with my boat and when the line got tight it would rip the back of the boat out and I would watch my motor go to the bottom of the Yukon which  I would follow pretty quick  ;D Keep up the good work and be safe !
Bill

Jeff

Stan, did you pick up some video editing tips from the production guys from the show? Your video's are very well done and a pleasure to watch. I love that the "music' is simply the natural sounds surrounding you.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

Quote from: Autocar on November 02, 2018, 07:07:45 PM
Pretty cool way to log  :D with my luck I would take off with my boat and when the line got tight it would rip the back of the boat out and I would watch my motor go to the bottom of the Yukon which  I would follow pretty quick  ;D Keep up the good work and be safe !
That was my first thought. :D It had to be hard on the boat and your neck. My hat is off to you and others that live and work in the north, you need to be resourceful to survive.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

stanzuray

Quote from: Autocar on November 02, 2018, 07:07:45 PM
Pretty cool way to log  :D with my luck I would take off with my boat and when the line got tight it would rip the back of the boat out and I would watch my motor go to the bottom of the Yukon which  I would follow pretty quick  ;D Keep up the good work and be safe !

I should say that although the stress seems pretty mild when the rope tightens and the boat comes to a stop or not (if it goes in water in one try) you really need a long rope to do it without that sharp, fast yank that could damage things and I would not do it with the riveted on handles that are on riveted boats. The Alweld boats we use have heavy welded on handles on the rear corners. Stan

stanzuray

Quote from: Jeff on November 03, 2018, 09:31:28 AM
Stan, did you pick up some video editing tips from the production guys from the show? Your video's are very well done and a pleasure to watch. I love that the "music' is simply the natural sounds surrounding you.
Yes it was very interesting to be around them and see the cameras they used etc. I used to try to film things though even long ago with the old 8mm tapes and cameras that had no stabilization. Little by little I'm learning how to use the editing software. I visited the editing rooms back in New York and saw the big time editing of the TV show. One of the biggest things is keeping the cameras steady and not moving around a lot from scene to scene. Or edit that part out.  

nativewolf

Much enjoyed, both fishing and logging videos.  So what will you do with this stick?  Is it all for firewood or do you save some of the longer poles like this for construction or for sawing?  Anyone in the village have a bandsaw mill?
Liking Walnut

Don P

That looks like fun 8)
I don't know if it would work but I've rolled some sideways that I couldn't just drag like this, wrap as much as it takes to get to your destination plus a wrap or three. This was 60' x about 3'

stanzuray

That's a huge tree and about as big as we ever see around here. Pretty ingenious - basically winching the log where you want it to go. Where there is a will and no perfect tool there is a way. Stan

Hilltop366

For some reason this video instantly reminded me of the old Canadian TV show The Beachcombers.

Beachcombers Intro/Outro 1975 - YouTube

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

I had forgotten about that show.  Growing up on the Canadian border we got to tune that in. Canadian channels were half on what came in on the antenna. Back in the day when you had to get up to change the channel.  Sadly, with digital they don't work anymore. I miss Canadian programming.

D2 Cody

Hi Stan,
Welcome to the forum. That is a pretty sweet video, it always interests me to see different logging methods from around the country. Next time I start to complain about how hard i have it  skidding a turn i the cold snow and mud I will think back to your video and that will shut me up quick lol. I remember watching on the show guys going with snow machines and sleds gathering firewood and saw logs, it was crazy. Keep up the good videos and pics so a guy like me who always wanted to go to Alaska can at least watch it on here. Be safe and take care.
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timberking

Welcome Stan, like the boat.  You run your boats like we do our trucks.  

Thank You Sponsors!