iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw Blade needs Hammered

Started by reride82, July 02, 2012, 09:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reride82

I need to get the blade hammered on my Belsaw. Is it left or right handed? When standing on the board side of the blade it turns clockwise and the carriage feeds from the right. Is this a right hand mill or is it backwards since the arbor is under the carriage as opposed to a frick? Thanks in advance,
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

ALWOL

It needs to be hammered as for a right hand mill.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

bandmiller2

Levi,replace any bits or shanks you were planning to replace before you take it to the smith.He also needs to know the type of bearings ball,roller babbit est.A 40" saw turning around PTO speed is quite forgiving as to tension. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

snowshoveler

If the 40" is quite forgiving that explains why my 38" belsaw dosen't move at all at engine idle in low gear or wide open in high gear.
Blade is flat all the time.
Only sawing errors have been mine.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

reride82

Thanks guys. My 42" blade developed a wobble after this past weekend. I think the culprit was that the blade was half in the sun and half in the shade and it didn't stand up like it should have. Since I had been in the sun all day, I didn't notice until I must have heated the center of the blade. I sharpened it that morning and sharpened it after so it was sharp. Upon closer inspection, it would sway about 3/8" when turning by hand. The bearings are new, they weren't getting hot, my lead was still set at approximately 1/16" and the track is straight and level. I never had the blade hammered when I got it, so I figured it should be done anyways. I hope it solves my problem.
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Thank You Sponsors!