iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw boots

Started by Timbercruiser, April 25, 2012, 09:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

Who makes any lace up work boot type chainsaw boots ??? I hear bad reviews on the stihl Promark boots ?? Just wondered if anyone found good ones of any kind ???

Cut4fun

Bailey's new sale catalog has some new protective boot on the front cover.

markd

Chainsaw boots? You've got to be kidding me! What's next chainsaw underwear?
markd

Timbercruiser

No im not kidding I just mean boots with the Kevlar cut resistance. Lots of pull on rubber stuff with kevlar but not much in work boot style. Sorry if it makes you upset

markd

It doesn't upset me, it just seems like we get bombarded with advertisements for everything one can imagine and some things one can't imagine. I don't see how one could function with all the gear they say we need.
markd

JohnG28

I have heard stories of why chainsaw boots are of real importance. There are plenty of things people may say, but when it comes down to it I would rather have the protection. I helped my buddy cut up an already downed tree in his yard last weekend and I was sure to us my PPE. Didn't have any problems, but I would have been glad I was prepared if something had happened.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

forest.c

labonvile in NH makes them !
forest.c

submarinesailor

nmurph

I have a pair of Matterhorn chainsaw boots. They have a steel toe and are Kevlar lined.

This chart shows the dispersal of saw injuries.

http://www.elvex.com/facts08.htm

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: nmurph on April 26, 2012, 09:09:52 AM

This chart shows the dispersal of saw injuries.

http://www.elvex.com/facts08.htm

Nice chart; thanks for sharing!

I never cut without my PPE which in my case only consists of chaps and helmet. Boots have been on my list for a while. It seems like a lot of money for the amount I cut, but then again, what's the price of a foot? Now, if they made a comforatble, effective "boot chap" that could wrap around your regular work boots and offer the chainsaw protection of regular leg chaps; I think you'd have a winner!

markd

Remember, chainsaws are like computers, they only do what you tell them to do, so be careful what you say.
markd

grassfed

Quotelabonvile in NH makes them !

I have had a set of these for over a year and they are so comfortable that I wear them all the time.
Mike

lumberjack48

All you need is a good hard toe logger boot, i wouldn't wast my money on a so called chainsaw prof boot [ this is just me ] I ran saw 30 yrs, this is what i made a living with, never wore any protection, i couldn't run with all that stuff on [never got cut] I was raised with a saw in my hands. The biggest thing when running saw is, don't ware any lose clothing. When running chainsaw never take your eye's off the saw, know where the tip of the bar is at all times, never let your mind wonder off, the thing in your hands could kill you.

Now put your safety gear on, keep the saw sharp and never lose respect for the saw, thats when it will bite you. One more thing, always take that extra step to make that last cut, don't be holding the saw cross ways to make it. You guys know what i'm taking about, were all guilty. I've done it many times, just being lazy, closest i ever came to cutting a foot off.

I have to tell you happed to me. I was 16 and strip cutting Tamarack for my uncle. The snow was about 2' deep. I fell a tree and was sawing it up in to 8' lengths, on the last cut the tree was under the snow. I layed the measure stick on the snow, held the saw cross ways, kind of guising where the tree was. The end of the bar hit the tree and jumped on my boot, i knew instantly what just happed.[ i was running a C9 Homelite] I pulled my boot out of the snow, i didn't want to look. I had a pair of white bunny boots on, the end of my boot was all most cut off. O-Man, i seen red in the cut O-man again, i had to get to the clinic. I had to walk by my uncle on the way to the car, i didn't want him to know. He asked me what was wrong, i said nothing, i have to go get some lunch. I was driving a 57 Chrysler 300, with the 392 Hemi, 380 hp. I had 20 miles to go to the Northome clinic, i drove 120+ mph, my mind was flying, i just cut my foot off. I got to the clinic, limping and dragging my foot in. They took one look, my god what did you do, took me in a room. Hollered for the doc to get over here, i knew the doc, he takes a look at the boot hanging, O-Dear he says. He starts taking the boot off, then they started laughing. I had 6 pairs of socks on so the boots would fit, one pair were red, that was the red i seen. The saw never touched my foot, i was a lucky boy. It was a standing joke for a long time.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

nmurph

I guess I have more money than spare toes.

A steel toe is better than nothing, but it can cause the tip to deflect farther up the foot.

lumberjack48

My steel toes were all nicked up from the saw, never had it deflect up the boot.

nmurph you make sure an buy the boots, i was just saying that i wouldn't.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

shinnlinger

My labonville chainsaw boots were made in pa and I really like them only gave 160 for them.   Cheaper than my insurance deductible.....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Timbercruiser

Thanks everyone for all the advice Im happy to hear what everyone has to say. Thanks alot

Andrew Lawrence

The personal protective equipment doesn't stop the accident. The accident has already happened. They reduce the injury, which in turn reduces costs all the way around.  New red sock $2.50 , trip to the clinic $12.95, Relief seeing your toes unharmed "PRICELESS".   
Lawrence Lot Clearing Logging                            To God be the glory

markd

You guys are makin me nervous ,hahaha!
markd

CTYank

About a year ago, I noticed a cut mark in my boot by my left big toe. Matched the shape of the tip of my bar. Never noticed anything happen there. This is not good.

Splitting up a mountain of rounds in my driveway early this year, three good-size pieces flew strangely, hitting the same little toe. Not good. (Couldn't find my steel-toe boots.)

That was enough. Few months back, "chainsaw boots" arrived from Labonville. Been breaking them in whenever possible. Seem to be very well made, very nice leather. We'll see how long they're habitable come summer.

Average chainsaw injury now costs ~$12,000. Given that, and the possibly long recovery, good protective boots are dirt cheap. Couldn't sign on to the idea of rubber boots.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Ianab

I wear normal steelcap work boots myself, but I'm not going to give anyone a hard time for buying better protection.

That gap between the cap and the bottom of the chaps is a chink in the armour as the saying goes.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on April 26, 2012, 09:39:33 AM
Now, if they made a comforatble, effective "boot chap" that could wrap around your regular work boots and offer the chainsaw protection of regular leg chaps; I think you'd have a winner!

I've never seen a "boot chap", but Labonville does sell 4-layer kevlar socks.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

I wear the rubber boot type of chainsaw boots that have chaulk bottoms while thinning. Kevlar from the steel toe, up the shin. It's a lot easier on the legs and more sure footed especially around cut stems and slimy rotten limbs on the ground from past harvests. They are a lot easier to wear than any steel toed leather work boot when you have to walk in slash and thickets and good ankle support. They do sometimes give you a little shin burn from the lining rubbing you. But, I wear tall wool socks I bring up, over, and out the boot and wear my pant leg down over the boot to keep sawdust and dirt out. But I guess you chainsaw guys would be more comfortable with tie up because you bend down, while we thinners are upright. Unless you're on your own land doing your own thing you are required to wear safety gear when working for someone or on public land. If people don't wear it, I guess big brother has to beat you with a stick to keep you in line for your own safety. ;D Seeing people cutting with big saws in shorts and sneakers and ball caps, no plugs, no eyewear makes me nervous. I'd rather be someplace else. ;D Sure dad and grampy done it, don't mean I am. My dad is about stone deaf to. Last fall one of his neighbors cut his face up with a chainsaw. Nice pretty scar. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Swampdockey,Viking boots? I bought a pair last August and have them on if I'm outside.I even use them cutting down trees too. I'm building a veggie shark and have them on. I really like them. They are real nice in the grass first thing in the morning with a dew.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

I have a pair of the Jonsered rubber chainsaw boots - a lot like what SD described, but without the caulked soles... mine are just the rubber lugs on the sole.

Unfortunately, I bought them before I knew what I was doing, and didn't size them up enough to fit a pair of liners inside them. I have the same problem SD does with it rubbing my shins, only in my case it's the upper edge of the rubber boot, rather than the liners. If I'm doing a lot of walking around, my shins take a beating. I do like them other than that, especially if I'll be moving through wetter areas. Long heavy socks help, but the liners and socks would probably be even better. One of these days, I'll sell them and buy the right size...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!