iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live edge sofa table

Started by DPatton, February 10, 2018, 11:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

I"ve been working on this sofa table off and on now for a while. My original plan was just the finished top mounted on the rough-sawn mitered legs but I always thought it looked like it was missing something. After sidelining the completion of it several times, I decided to add the curved walnut cross member between the legs to create accent and a more complete look. I think it worked. Please let me know what you guys think.

The top is a live edge slippery elm slab with a bark inclusion that went all the way through the slab along the front edge. (Now I know there's nothing special about a slippery elm slab but the log was free and I thought the feathering in the growth rings and the bark inclusion gave this piece some character). The legs are simply 5/4" rough sawn pieces of the same elm log mitered together at a right angle with a 3/4" piece of curved walnut tying them together.
  I plan to donate this table to my local Ducks Unlimited Chapters annual dinner and fund raising banquet coming up in a few weeks. I hope someone there will take a liking to it and pay to take it home with em.

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bags

That Elm has some nice grain to it--- looks good.

51cub

I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

thecfarm

Interesting.
If I went to the local Ducks Unlimited Chapters annual dinner and fund raising banquet you would be able to come up behind me and kick me in the butt. I would be on my hand and knees checking that mighty fine piece of work out. Like the way you did the legs.
By the way,do have a way to put your contact address on it? I betcha someone would be a calling if they did that get the bid on it.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tmbrcruiser

Very beautiful, going to bring some big bucks at the auction!
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Dakota

Dave Rinker

21incher

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Downstream

Beautiful job.  I have done one piece with elm and I was pleasantly surprised with beauty of the grain.  This one is especially nice.  It will make a nice donation to charity.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

coalsmok

Looks good. I like the legs  8)

Ed_K

Ed K

hacknchop

Often wrong never indoubt

samandothers

Great job!  I like the grain in the top too.

cbla

Treehack

A fine specimen.  Quality craftsmanship.  X2 on idea of including your info as I'm guessing you will have multiple people interested at the auction.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

78NHTFY

Oh, it definitely worked!!  Very nice.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

justallan1

Very nice work.
Gives me an idea for a bunch of Russian Olive slabs that I have.

WDH

That is a nice one.  Very creative.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ely

it is a nice job that you have done on that piece of furniture.

AK Newbie

LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

DPatton

Well as I said in the original topic post I planned to donate this table to Ducks Unlimited. My local chapters annual dinner banquet was last night and the table was there as promised. As any of you that have been to one of these types of events know, they have lots of ways to get people to spend money. Including get them there early, apply alcohol, then put something up for bids that appeals to them and see who just can't stop raising their hand :D :D :D. But I have to admit I was a bit nervous ::) that the table might not sell all that well on the auction which was giving me some butterflies in my stomach considering the amount of work I had into it. 

The outstanding group of volunteers who organize our annual banquet were all very excited and grateful to have the table. They were very optimistic that it would be highly sought after increasing my hopes for a good return on my work. 

So here's how it went down.

Just prior to the live auction my chapter sells fifty $20.00 raffle tickets for one winner to select what they call "pick of the litter" or winners choice of one item on the live auction.
 Well guess what happened ???  ??? ??? yep :) you guessed it. A young lady who invested $20.00 on one of those fifty raffle tickets wins "pick of the litter". She was all smiles and very happily chose my table over all of the other available items on the live auction. I couldn't be happier that she picked my table ;D and the chapter couldn't be happier with the donation earning $1,000.00 :o :o :o towards wetland conservation. But the scenario leaves me wondering what someone would actually pay for that table or similar pieces. 

Now I'm pretty sure no two people in that room were going to run the bid up to a thousand dollars on that piece had it gone to live auction. Meaning I believe that D.U. Recieved the best value out of the table through the raffle. However it left me with no way of knowing what someone is willing pay for such an item. ??? Is it $100 :(, $300 ;),  $500 :) or more ;D :D ;D? Guess I will just need to start work on next years donation item to find out. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

thecfarm

Never reallly know. Someone in the crowd wants it,with a deep pocket full of folding money,they will get it.I may want too,but my pocket full of change is no match to folding money. :D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!