iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portage and Main EGR OWB

Started by VTwoodworker, April 16, 2018, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTwoodworker

So my Central Boiler e-classic has leaked for the last time and it is going where it belongs - to the junkyard.  I am looking for a replacement OWB and considering any brand but Central Boiler.  I have liked what I have seen online of the Portage and Main EGR line of boilers.

One draw back is that there are not any nearby dealers so I have not been able to inspect them in person.  They will be demonstrating at the Forestry Expo in Vermont in May so I can see them at that time.  But since it is less than six months away from the next heating season, I need to get moving on installing the new boiler.  

Any one on the FF have experience with P&M boilers and how they operate?  Any feedback on customer service?

Thanks

Wayne

hedgerow

I have not be around that brand but I have a Garn that will be 10 years old shortly I run it year around and have had zero leaks with it. It wasn't cheap but very well built. I like having it in my pole building so I am not out in the blowing snow loading it. 

E Yoder

I haven't seen one personally, have heard there was a guy posting about an EGR250 on a Facebook forum, but I'm not on FB.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

barbender

I just finished I think what was our eighth season on our Heatmor 200. The only thing I've done to it is replace the blower fan, and keep it full of water. I need to repace the silicon door seal. I'm very happy with this unit, and I know more than a few people with similar experiences with the Heatmor stoves. That's why I went with one.👍
Too many irons in the fire

VTwoodworker

Thanks for the input so far.  I will take a closer look at the Garn and Heatmor brands.  I did get contact info for an owner of an EGR 200 boiler from Portage and Main.  He is located about 90 minutes from me and I hope to visit him in the next week or two.

My current boiler has been out of commission since middle of February and it figures that we would have had the cold spring.  Definitely don't like the oil bills and look forward to getting the new boiler.

thecfarm

Now that you mention Heatmor,had mine since 2007. Called the dealer only a few times needing parts,blowers and gaskets for the cleanouts. As one member said,put wood in,get heat out!! Mine runs steady too. Shut down and clean out?? ???  Mine has only been down a few times,I think twice because of vacation and yes,I had to fixed where I auger the ashes out.  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Oops, I forgot to mention one other problem I had with my Heatmor- I use to keep all the ashes cleaned out nice, mostly because my heating situation at the time required all the stove's capacity. What happens is there are cast iron grates over the auger pit, and if you keep the ashes really cleaned out the stove burns so nice and hot that it will warp and break the grates. Then the broken piece will fall down in the auger pit and jam up the auger when you use it. Having your auger stuck in your stove is not fun👎👎👎 Now I am even more lax with maintenance and clean the ashes out only when wood starts falling back out of the door when I throw it in😂
Too many irons in the fire

E Yoder

One thought here- to compare apples to apples- the Heatmor is an updraft conventional, the EGR is a downdrafting gasification furnace. Other OWB style gassers would be Polar, Heatmaster, CB's Edge, etc. A conventional may not be a legal option with EPA regs and local regs.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

thecfarm

The new Heatmors are legal in Maine. What ever type of draft they have. I have the old style,I have seen my dealer at shows and I check it out each time. I have seen a Portage and Main runnng at a show. I was quite impressed by it.

barbender,I have the 400,takes a 54 inch stick. I had dreams of a working garage. But the ground work,cement is the deal breaker,at this time. But with all that room I can throw in wood that takes up room. Has a big limb sticking out,so what. A real crooked piece,so what. Small stuff I cut long,4 inch is ok, not much 6 inch stuff. Too heavy to throw in that long.Cedar works good that long and dead fir too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VTwoodworker

Good point about gasifier vs conventional.  To be compliant in Vermont, I think I need to go with a gasifier model.  That is what I have a permit for.  It's not like the boiler inspectors are combing the woods for law breakers.  There was a learning curve with my current gasifier but I like how clean it burns and would like to stay on that path.

I too burn a lot of dead and red rot fir and spruce and that works well in my current boiler.  I can go 12 hours on softwood with my current boiler if I fill it full.  The EGR has a smaller fire box so I do have a concern also that I may need to fill it more often.  

Thanks everyone for the thoughts - very helpful.

711ac

If you miss the VT show, they set up a PM every year at the Freyburg Fair in ME. They've had a self feeding green chip burner that past few years.

thecfarm

I don't think you can buy a "conventional" kind anymore? I suppose the conventional ones are the non gassers? As far as I know the kind I have,"conventional",can not be bought in any state. If the old style could be bought in one state,someone would buy one and haul it to the state that did not allow one.
I would have to buy a gasser,not much choice,not's all that is on the market,that I know of.

antifreeze

Just finished my 4th season with P&M 2840 conventional and couldn't be happier.  The refractory material burn box is the only way to go.  I did have to replace the recirc pump this year - about $100.
Burn wood.  Stay warm.

E Yoder

Quote from: thecfarm on April 19, 2018, 06:36:32 PM
I don't think you can buy a "conventional" kind anymore? I suppose the conventional ones are the non gassers? As far as I know the kind I have,"conventional",can not be bought in any state. If the old style could be bought in one state,someone would buy one and haul it to the state that did not allow one.
I would have to buy a gasser,not much choice,not's all that is on the market,that I know of.

The older style conventional or "non-reburning" units are still legal in many states for commercial use and (if they have shaker grates) for coal burning. So they are for sale, the end user is supposed to comply with the EPA regs. They work well and folks are loyal to those models for good reason.
But in my opinion the gasification units have come far enough along that I wouldn't go back regardless. I love my GS100.

HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

thecfarm

Oh I see. I was not thinking of a business,as the OP has.

ChadRL

Try looking at Crown Royal stoves. As far as I have found they have the highest rating and I've heard nothing but positive answers when I've asked questions to owners. They ship all over the US and have gasification and normal models. That's what I'm buying next spring.
Making smoke in northern MN

Thank You Sponsors!