iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stand Alone Wood Stove Experience

Started by Pulphook, August 12, 2018, 08:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulphook

Comments on experience with wood stoves ?
% of heat, brands/models, cords burned per year, species, cat or non cat, pros/cons, years of use.
Seems most here I read have OWBs.
I like our heat inside, direct, and close (romantic ::) ).
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

thecfarm

Does this count?
Home Clarion.

We have a Asley in the basement. Use to burn a lot of softwood in it. Or I should say tried. It worked,but was a bother. Hemlock did the best,at least it would caol down a little.
Between the wife and I we could keep the cook stove going all night. But I only burned hardwood in this one.
Now I have a OWB. Like it so much better. I can burn dead wood in it,even cedar and have a controlled burn.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

69bronco

We've always heated with a woodstove. My favorite was an Ashley, also the ugliest! It took a 24" stick, had a tin shroud with a simple spring activated draft control. Second best was a Vermont castings, don't remember which model but it loaded from the end and also took a decent piece of wood. Have a Garrison now with a soapstone top, my least favorite by far. Also have a little box type with two level flat tops on the porch, does a good job of making you hungry when there's a pot of beans or soup simmering ! Hope that helps.

Pulphook

Looking for the more recent EPA stoves like Jotul, Blaze King, VC, Quadra Fire, etc....
Ashleys were creosote factories and ugly to boot. The cook stoves take some skill for cooking; our neighbor still cooks year-round on one. She makes her husband cut those 12" sticks to fit for morning beans and bread. Nice smelling the smoke now when it's so *DanG hot.
The few OWB users up here make so much particulate incomplete burn smoke that even some of us wood stove people hate to see them burn.
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

wesdor

We had a Pacific Energy installed 5 years ago and love it. We have a high efficiency propane furnace but tried to never have the house above 68 in the winter. 
With the wood burner we do our best to keep the house under 80. My wife likes the extra warmth and so do I. 

I cut all my own firewood and have built pallets that hold about a face cord of wood. I bring them into our attached garage with my tractor which makes moving wood rather easy. We have a 13 year old home that is well insulated and burn not more than 12 pallets in a winter. 

47sawdust

We have heated with wood for 40 years.Our current and best set up is a Hearthstone Mansfield soapstone stove and a Waterford Stanley cook stove.The soapstone provides very even heat.Both stoves see constant use from October to late April.The Mansfield has a water jacket to heat domestic hot water.
 Dry wood is a must.We burn about 8 cord a year.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

bluthum

I've heated my little house with a Fisher mama bear with daytime help from an attached greenhouse for the last 39 years. My wood shop is also heated with a wood stove and passive solar, I started with a barrel stove kit and have used a Twinlakes [Fisher knockoff] for 37 years.  Neither company now exists, I've often wondered what stove I'd choose if I had to replace either. I don't even know how efficient they are compared to modern but durability is witnessed.

During that time I've replaced the bricks in both a time or two and painted them countless times. It's been a very satisfying experience. Messy perhaps, but a small price to pay.

69bronco

Wow, wish I'd known Ashley's were (creosote factories), I wouldn't have heated my house with one for 15 years.

Pulphook

Quote from: 69bronco on August 12, 2018, 05:19:29 PM
Wow, wish I'd known Ashley's were (creosote factories), I wouldn't have heated my house with one for 15 years.
Hey. No offense, but Ashley stove in Florida for the winter ? :snowball:
They were big creosote producers when not used right: wet wood, air damped down, chimney fires.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Klunker

We had a Vermont casting Acclaim, heated well enough. But has all the draw backs of a woodstove.

Used lots of wood, needed tending every 4-6 hrs or so. Would heat the house but the temp thru out the house was very uneven, room with stove was 80-90, lowest level would get into the 40's and the upstairs would be in the 60-70's. House was a "tri-level". 4 actual levels, 1/2 basement/lowest level, next level up had stove, level above that and highest level with bedrooms.

Our new house we had a Masonry heater built in it. It is the best way to heat with wood, very efficient, nice even heat uses very little wood and have to tend it only once/day on most days. Really cold days maybe twice.

Only downside is initial cost.

Weekend_Sawyer

My house has a fuel oil furnace with radiators. It will keep the house toasty but the cost is high

I ran a pair of Sierra wood stoves in my house for over 10 years. one in my living room and one in my basement. They are rated for a 26" log but really fit 22" much better. They had the catalytic converter in them but they both burned out, warped and I finally removed them.

I am still running the one in the living room which heats the whole front of the house but needs to be loaded every 2 to 4 hours. The one in my unfinished basement worked just ok to add some heat to the back of the house. My basement is a wide open cavern about 1600 sq feet and that little stove definitely made a difference but it wasn't balmy!

3 years ago picked up a used US Stove indoor wood furnace and am very happy with it. I had to run some duct work because I did not have central air in my house (Old house) but that was pretty easy.
During the day and early evening I only put a couple of logs in it at a time and run it wide open to burn out any creosote that has built up and just before I go to bed I load it full (5 - 6 logs) and damper it down and It will burn for 10 hours with no problem.

I hope this helps.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Pulphook

Quote from: Klunker on August 13, 2018, 03:54:06 PM
We had a Vermont casting Acclaim, heated well enough. But has all the draw backs of a woodstove.
Used lots of wood, needed tending every 4-6 hrs or so. Would heat the house but the temp thru out the house was very uneven, room with stove was 80-90, lowest level would get into the 40's and the upstairs would be in the 60-70's. House was a "tri-level". 4 actual levels, 1/2 basement/lowest level, next level up had stove, level above that and highest level with bedrooms.
Our new house we had a Masonry heater built in it. It is the best way to heat with wood, very efficient, nice even heat uses very little wood and have to tend it only once/day on most days. Really cold days maybe twice.
Only downside is initial cost.

Looked carefully at masonry/russian heaters when we built in northern New England in the 90's. A few drawbacks besides cost.
First, the masonry heaters need a strong foundation for the mass and weight.
The special foundation is $$$; it will not do on a slab like we have.
The home has to be built AROUND a masonry heater; more $$$, more space.
As efficient and clean burning as they are, the heat can't be controlled in shoulder season, or shut down.
With 2 EPA wood stoves we control the heat better.

Wood stoves are space heaters, not for a whole home unless you're willing to adapt to colder rooms ( why heat bedrooms ? ) and temperatures varying during the 24 h cycle. In mid dark winter, the morning temps will be in the 50's in early morning. Load the stoves, run the coffee,  and back to rooms' temp fast where we spend time. No big deal, no discomfort.

That VC Acclaim was a dud for the original VC people. It was a Klunker. :laugh:

DMcCoy

Hearthstone Soap Stone wood stove.  It's been over 18 yrs ago so the model may not be the same but looks like the Mansfield unit, but a bit smaller.

Hands down the best wood stove we have ever owned.  Glass door is a feature I though was frivolous at the time -- but you get to see the flames and with a quick glance see if it needs wood.

It is EPA certified and uses the secondary air method.

Smooth even heat and brushing against it has yet to cause a burn on my skin or even pain. 

My test question is this "If the stove got stolen tomorrow what would you buy to replace it?"

I would buy another one of these in seconds flat without giving it a second thought.

https://www.hearthstonestoves.com/en/wood

https://www.hearthstonestoves.com/en/Appliance/Cast-%26-Stone/Wood/Free-Standing-Stove/Mansfield/Enamel/Black/Manufactured/MANSFIELD/p/8012-4120

John Mc

I have a Hearthstone Phoenix stove mostly soapstone with a cast iron front, 60,000 BTU.

We have an open floor plan first floor, with a cathedral area open to the second floor. A balcony/hall on the second floor allows access to the bedrooms. The house is very well insulated & sealed (6" SIPS for walls). We can heat the first and second floors with just the wood stove, even down to below 0˚F weather (though an extended period - several days or so - much below zero I will eventually lose ground and have to kick on the boiler). When the weather gets really cold like that, I really have to keep the stove stoked. Generally, I kick on the boiler in that kind of weather with the thermostat turned down a bit just as a failsafe, in case I don't get to the stove frequently enough.

I've been very happy with this stove. We'd had it for 15 years and it has provided 75%+ of our heat for most of those years (we get lazy on occasion and let the propane boiler run from time to time). We have had zero problems - I've replace the door seal and that's it. I would buy another in a heartbeat.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

62oliver

I have 2 Regency wood stoves, a 3100 in my garage and a 1100 in the cabin.
I bought both of them used, they are very well made stoves and burn nice and hot, just feed them good, dry wood and there is no real visible smoke once they are up to temperature.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

alan gage

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 13, 2018, 09:03:56 AM
No not buy a Englander.
JUNK
Englander is all I've used for the last 10 years. Have had 3 different Englander stoves in 3 different houses. Currently running the 30 and it's my favorite so far. Mostly just because I was using the 17VL in my previous house and I can't get over how the 30 can swallow up such huge chunks of wood.

The 13 and 17 seemed like they  had to be babied when starting a fire from scratch by leaving the door open a crack until the fire was fairly established, otherwise it would snuff itself out. With the 30 I can light the kindling, shut the door, and it keeps right on going.
The 17 was my least favorite of the three. Seemed the most poorly designed of the three and despite having it connected to outside air it still drew a large amount of inside air. Didn't feel like it gave as much control when shutting the air intake door either.

But overall no real complaints from me about Englander stoves but I have nothing to compare them with either.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

OH logger

i am having a blaze king-king ultra put in my basement soon. are they good bad or what? the guy at the stove shop is very knoweledgable and that's what he recommended.  thanks
john

Raider Bill

Quote from: alan gage on August 20, 2018, 02:44:15 PM
Quote from: Raider Bill on August 13, 2018, 09:03:56 AM
No not buy a Englander.
JUNK
Englander is all I've used for the last 10 years. Have had 3 different Englander stoves in 3 different houses. Currently running the 30 and it's my favorite so far. Mostly just because I was using the 17VL in my previous house and I can't get over how the 30 can swallow up such huge chunks of wood.

The 13 and 17 seemed like they  had to be babied when starting a fire from scratch by leaving the door open a crack until the fire was fairly established, otherwise it would snuff itself out. With the 30 I can light the kindling, shut the door, and it keeps right on going.
The 17 was my least favorite of the three. Seemed the most poorly designed of the three and despite having it connected to outside air it still drew a large amount of inside air. Didn't feel like it gave as much control when shutting the air intake door either.

But overall no real complaints from me about Englander stoves but I have nothing to compare them with either.
Alan
We bought 2 back in 08. Not sure which models. Mine is a bit bigger than the other but we have the same problems. Both are connected to outside air for draw. Both have glass doors.
The fire box intake hole is about 1/2 inch. It comes in on the bottom. Only way we can keep a decent fire going is to either keep the door cracked a bit or pull the ash dump plug up some.
Both "baffles crumbled within the first 2 years. When I went back to the Englander store to get more they told me to use hardy board. I can tell you how long that lasted, about a month. The channels on the side that hold the baffles up rusted out.
Calls to Englander went unreturned. Their office was in Virginia if I remember.
The same store sold Buck Stoves. I wish I had spent a few dollars more.
I'll bad mouth Englander every chance I get
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Pulphook

Calling out to you higher end recent EPA  wood stove users like Hearthstone.
How about Jotul, Blaze King, Pacific Energy, Morso, Woodstock, or the "new and improved" ( they say ) Vermont Casting stoves ?
BTW: not such a great idea to put a wood stove in a basement, unless insulated and where you spend time.
Seems like this is a big OWB place.

OH logger

why not a wood burner in the basement? because of not being watched so a bigger fire danger? with concrete being all around it I figured it was a decent idea?? that's a common setup around here and everyone I talked to seems real happy with it
john

47sawdust

Basement is a great place for the stove,warm floors,no mess upstairs.Here in Vermont it's common to have a wood furnace or stove in the basement.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

samandothers

We hope to use a Woodstock stove, but no experience at this time.

thecfarm

Unless someone thinks they are going to heat the whole house with one in the basement,with no duct work. It worked good for me. Or I thought it did. I did not try to keep the house real warm,by getting it 90 in the basement. The cook stove kept it warm enough,with the stove in the basement.
I have a friend that put a hood over a All Nighter,with what I think with 2 pieces of 6 inch duct work. Keeps his place nice and warm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: samandothers on August 21, 2018, 09:31:09 PM
We hope to use a Woodstock stove, but no experience at this time.
Woodstock makes some of the best wood stoves on the market. If you run them properly, you can't beat them for clean burning and efficient use of wood. (My sister and former brother-in-law had one, and he researched the hell out of it before he bought.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

samandothers

8)

Thanks!

Had considered Mansfield too,

Pulphook

If you like basements for your stove, great. Matter of taste....and efficiency.
If you spend time down below, and you insulated the %$#@& out of the concrete foundation, more great.
Most cellar walls of older houses are uninsulated, and the cellar is for utilities not a room to spend time in.
So you're heating dirt and the mass of concrete. Sure some heat "rises", but most that goes out to nature.
Just one opinion for stoves that heat a space where we spend time.
Besides, cellars aren't romantic. :-\
Would have a Woodstock stove if the loading was right for the space and the boss.

ButchC

We run both an outdoor boiler and a Jotel  stove to heat our century old farm house. We dont need all that capacity but due to how the place was built and how it was added on to it was kinda necessary top keep the entire place cozy. Anyway the Jotel is non-catalyst secondary combustion unit. It works VERY well. They are an upper end unit, you pay well for one but we are happy with it. Almost forgot we also have an old Sears pot belly in the front room which we burn just every now and then mainly for giggles, efficiantcy isnt real good but if you need BTUs on a cold windy day an old pot belly will certainly provide them, LOL.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Pulphook

Sorry that there are too few up to date EPA wood stove users on the site with experience using the recent advances in wood stove technology.
The OWB is a viable option for those liking the tech. It has problems and technical issues and expense.
Frasnkly some of us don't want to load the heat outdoors, or have neighbors complain about creosote production found in too many of OWBs here.
Many of us heat 24/7 with wood stoves in New England and have for decades without central heat or with some backup.
Unfortunately, the main site for wood stove users, hearthnet has a definite political bias and strong opinionated bloggers unlike here.

thecfarm

Buy a Heatmor and you won't have creosote problems. ;) Had my since 2007,even when I experimented with green wood I did not have creosote problems.
As my FIL told me,outdoor wood furnaces smoke all the time. You should of asked me about them before you bought one. ::) I point out the smokestack of my OWB when he comes over and ask him if he sees any smoke? ;) 
Hard to know much about one if a person has never owned one. Goes with alot of things in life too. :)

John Mc

Quote from: Pulphook on August 30, 2018, 06:07:50 PM
Sorry that there are too few up to date EPA wood stove users on the site with experience using the recent advances in wood stove technology.
Huh?

Pulphook

Don't need to own an OWB to see and smell and drive through the creosote smoke of OWBs burning too often. One friend even brags that he can burn anything--green sticks, trash, tires, PT lumber. ::)
Most posting here sound like you do burn clean. But the reality out there is not.
As for using up to date wood stoves: not much posted. That's why I asked. Cat. Non cat. Stoves engineered in the past decade or so. Brands.

John Mc

Woodstock stoves were among those mentioned earlier. One of their prototype models won the grand prize in the International Wood Stove Design Competition held in Washington DC 2013. It went into production in 2015. If my Hearthstone Phoenix ever needs to be replaced, it will likely be with the Woodstock Ideal Steel Hybrid (unless I come across something better in the mean time).

Pulphook

Right John. Toured the Woodstock plant a few years ago; fine, high quality stoves and exceptional customer service.
Unfortunately their stoves don't have what the boss wanted: top loading, porcelain/enamel finish ( so the stove looks pretty for years ), classic looks for her.
I wanted their Hybrid Progress one, but orders are orders here.
So in spite of past deadly problems with Vermont Castings, we got one of their latest "dual" 2in1 stoves. Most of us have had VC stoves in the distant past when they were a quality and service firm ( original Vigilant and later Encore )...not the 3-4 past owners who really screwed up the name. The latest rendition of owners ( and also dealers BTW) say that there is a big change in product and service. We shall see.

McCain will be missed.

John Mc

Everyone has their preferences, I guess. I absolutely can't stand top loading wood stoves.

thecfarm

Pulphook

Quote from: John Mc on August 31, 2018, 02:19:10 PM
Everyone has their preferences, I guess. I absolutely can't stand top loading wood stoves.
Hey John. When rolling out of the sack, 1/2 awake with an armful of wood for the stove the top load is just right. One hand to open the beast, the other to drop the 4-6 sticks onto live coals to get the place warm before the boss awakes. Easy. No bending, no special wood carrier, quick, simple.
With the side load stove in the other part of the mansion :-X, the armload needs to be set down first. The open the side load door. A PITA.
Same for an older front loader. A second PITA.
It is my mission to do the morning stove ritual since there is no central furnace to keep the mansion at the usual +/- 65 F like most. In winter the rooms can get easily in the 50's F overnight; no big deal. Besides, where is it written that homes need to be kept at +65 F  24/7 ? And, why do most heat unused space all day ?

John Mc

As I said, we all have our preferences. If it works for you, that's what is important.

samandothers

We hope to get a Woodstock Progress in the next year or so.  Seems like a great stove.

Pulphook

Preferences.
The Woodstock Progress hybrid was in the running to replace an older, abused stove. Why not ? It only loads from a side door. She demands top loading for ease ( I tend to agree) of loading.
The look to her is clutsy, not classic .
Didn't like the soapstone covering that sometimes has cracked.
In well used Woodstock stoves, the cast iron needs touching up; it's not porcelain or baked on enamel.
No doubt about the quality, guarantee, engineering, and customer service of Woodstock.
Preferences II:
OWBs need power. Need pumps. Need below frost line water pipes. Not cheap to install.
Some OWB users don't clean burn affecting many wood heaters in many regions that now mandate out certain wood heating. It takes only a drive around in northern New England to smell too many creosote smokers laying down the haze in neighborhoods.
Who wants to go outdoors to load ?
The good is central heat 24/7 and keeping firewood debris out of the house.
Preferences are mine.

thecfarm

Quote from: Pulphook on September 02, 2018, 10:27:45 AM
Need below frost line water pipes.
When you start saying things that are incorrect I can't be quiet. Been since 2007 with my water lines no more than 18 inches below ground. Mine circulators ran all the time.
Not that it really matters,there has only been 2 days in all that time,I did not want to go outside,oh the horrors of it all,to fill the OWB

Pulphook

That's why we have Husky and Stihl, Subaru and Ford....maybe J'red.
Going outside in the middle of January at zero dark hundred to load a heater isn't fun for this one when half awake.
With power those pumps at 18" down  have to be circulating constantly in northern NE or they'd freeze. When the power goes down in
a winter storm, then what ? Most don't have standby gens; maybe a pull out gen.
So, preference is for me, a couple of interior, high efficient wood stoves where we spend the time when home. For 24/7 heating
a +/- 2000 sq ft house, we burn 6-8 cords/year of mixed soft and hardwoods cut from the woodlot here. The softwoods ( spruce/fir ) are blowdowns used in shoulder seasons fall and spring.
Yes it's a PITA loading stoves a few times/day when home. It's a lifestyle.
All have a choice.

John Mc

Quote from: Pulphook on September 03, 2018, 09:22:43 AMGoing outside in the middle of January at zero dark hundred to load a heater isn't fun for this one when half awake.

I had always assumed that that is one of the reasons to have an OWB: if you are operating it with a bit of foresight, there is no need to go out to load it at "zero dark hundred". If I can manage my 60,000 BTU woodstove to avoid that, I would think an decent OWB, with it's much larger firebox could do the same.

thecfarm

Last time I knew most wood sheds are not heated either.  ;)  I have been out getting wood to bring inside the house.
And I may have power that comes in one way.but for years I did not even own a generator. Did not need one.If the power went out for 2 hours,that was a long time. Than it started to go out for 2 days and more each time. I have a generator now. With a chest freezer,it's kinda of a good idea.
Mu OWB will go an easy 12 hours,and that's burning dead wood.
You sound like my FIL. :(

Pulphook

To each his own.
Morning firewood is from the 'indoor' 1/2 cord shed next to the back door; no going out. Fill it at times from the storage sheds.
An inconvenient truth ( thx to AlGore) however is that the ashes need emptying from the two stoves at least in winter each morning. The so-called lawn loves the fertilizer.
There have been times when in wind and/or snow I have been known to throw ashes against the prevailing wind. :'( That zero dark hundred awareness again.
Still love the romantic close heat of a INDOOR wood stove. :)
Do your dogs curl up near the OWB ?

thecfarm

ButchC

Well Mr pulphook since you came here apparently to avoid the non factual bias (kind words for BS) over on the liberal wood burner's site  maybe you could knock off the OWB trash burner rhetoric and just promote how you like to do things? Trash, treated wood and old tires and green smokey wood will (and is) burned  in a indoor stoves also, just have to cut it up into smaller pieces.

Yes,my hackles are up, I dont like woodstove snob types lumping me into a lower order because I run an OWB, it isnt needed here,,,

Apologies to the forum and the moderator. Understand if you toss me I  just couldn't leave that one alone.

Butch
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

doctorb

Sorry I haven't chimed in....been out of internet range for a few days, which is a good thing.

ButchC-  I hear your frustration with the dogma.  Apologies accepted.  Just to remind ALL....please refrain from criticizing the poster, and criticize the post in a civil manner.  ButchC, I know you get that.

Pulphook -  The irritation expressed by ButchC and others is understandable.  You are correct, some OWB users do not follow the best burning practices and the emissions from their units demonstrate that.  However, as somebody who has used a gasifier OWB for 9 years and who has benefitted immensely from information gathered from the FF readership experience, a discussion of indoor versus outdoor woodburning stoves is interesting and educational.  This discussion has taken place in one fashion or another for years on the Forum.  There are plusses and minuses to both forms of heat, and both will have their proponents.  Neither side is wrong and neither side is crazy.  As in life, we never deal with pure absolutes.  

You will get called out when information is posted that is not factually correct.  Take your statement regarding the depth of the thermal lines connecting an OWB to a basement.  It is simply untrue.  Think about it....those lines could be 40 feet under the earth but they still have to rise above the frost line and above ground to enter the OWB.  As long as the water is circulated, freezing is not an issue.  Heck, Central Boiler advertises in their brochure that you can install the OWB in winter and leave the thermopex pipe laying on the ground until spring, when you no longer need a jackhammer to bury it.  The Forum is too big to read all of the information stored here, but I can assure you that, questions like this have been dealt with here multiple times.  Use key words in the search engine and you can read entire discussions on many woodburning topics.

So I'll weigh in....

I burn indoor during the "shoulder" months, where you don't need a constant heat source due to the fluctuating ambient temperatures, and I'll burn my OWB from Thanksgiving though mid-April.  I like them both.  The amount of work for both ends up being about the same, IMO.   I don't store wood inside my house as it makes a mess and brings in the dreaded Stink Bug.  I have to cart that wood from my shed and store it again on my porch and then fetch it periodically when needed.  Yes, it's romantic, but while not needing hourly attention, I seem to play with it pretty often.  The OWB saves me $$ as I do not burn any oil in the winter.  The wood is stacked right there so I only move it once.  I feed it before I go to work and once again in the evening.  Yes, I clear air passages and mess with the coal bed, just like I have to empty the ash tray every other day when I heat indoors.  I am not outside after midnight working with the stove.  Cleanout of the OWB every 2-3 weeks is a pain, I'll admit, but that free hot water is worth it.  For my specific situation, the OWB has been an excellent heat source choice.  My neighbors did not know I was heating with an OWB until I showed them.  In answer to one of your previous rhetorical questions, "Who wants to go outside to load?"  The answer, from December through April is. "I do!"

So, as someone who has done both indoor and outdoor heating for many years, there is no perfect answer.  It's up to your situation and your personal preference.  Oh, BTW, while my last dog has left us, he went wherever I was, regardless of whether I was inside or out.  Labs don't mind a little cold or moisture.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

stratton

Pulphook

To all of you using your OWB and stoves the right clean way, apologies.
Our experience here in northern New England is what was said and fact based : OWBs have a poor rep HERE for burning creosote. It does not take much of a drive to go thru dark smoke that gets peoples' "hackles" ( whatever they are :-\ ) up. Some of the boiler burners here brag about being able to burn anything ( green wood, rotted wood, tires, trash) . Yes, some stove users also burn dirty.
The ready-fire-aim post is uneeded ( You can call me "Sir" thou its been awhile, not "Mr" ;D )
Fact: if your circulation pipes are running 24/7 or filled with antifreeze , sure they don't need to be below frostline. Our water pipes NEED to be +3' down for protection outside . They're protected where they enter the building.
I don't sleep with my wood stoves....yet :o. No emotional attachment to them other than decades of use. We have no central heat, using 6-8 cords ( the actual cords ) every year harvested from this woodlot.
So, anyone is welcome to comment on their wood stove use. Let's have polite, experiential talk....no (admin language edit)

ButchC

Me(edit) being a dog owner it surprises me that you are unaware of hackles, every breed I have been around has them but no worry mine have laid back down now ;).

Thank you for addressing and correcting the fact that users, not the equipment determine what gets tossed in the fire.

The  OWB water line facts list is incomplete
A- Yes they cant freeze while operating.
B- Yes burying the lines below frost lines will prevent freezing
C- But,brakes on here burying them  wont keep them from freezing where they come out of the ground to the stove nor will it keep the stove itself from freezing (and being junk)
D- Due to item C anti freeze is the only practical answer for a OWB user who thinks he wants to run it on a part time basis.

Going full circle, Operational lines dont need frost protection and neither do lines with anti freeze in them. The reason for burial of OWB lines is two fold. It gets them out of the yard and the extra insulation from deep burial will help minimize heat loss on longer runs..  An OWB no matter how it is installed is far from a good choice for the part time wood burner, that's the real bottom line here I think?

Back to stoves as you say,
As I said earlier we burn both inside and outside due to how our old house was constructed and added onto many times over.  I dont know the model of our Jotel gassifier insert but it is three years old and of course is EPA compliant. We like it a lot with the only minor irritations being limitations on the draft setting and how the automatic blower works, both of which were designed into it so as to keep it hot enough to gassify and thus meet EPA regs.  The wood we had prepped was actually too dry being 3 years old and stored inside thus even at minimum draft it got way to hot. Dealer said buy a moisture meter and keep wood between x and x % as it says in the manual.   I fixed it by eliminating the min draft stop and now we can run it correctly with any wood of correct  moisture or lower.  The blower will not run on automatic until the  unit is extremely hot, again, dealer says must be that way to meet regs.  We just run it on manual, no big deal.  A person who depends on such things for primary heat would need to be very careful about sizing it, too big equals no control over how hot the house gets other than opening windows. Spoon feeding it isnt an option unless you are OK with it not gassifying. From what I read the issues are pretty common across the board with that type of stove?

I also have an old Sears pot belly in the living room, it is there mostly for looks but now and then on cold windy days we build fire in it and efficiency be darned that thing sure feels good on a cold day! The Elkhounds nap right beside it and fur gets so hot you can hardly pet hem.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

Pulphook

Ready---fire--aim.
T.M.I.
No dog now. Never posted any dog story....or hackles. :D
I voted for "Ralph". Our German Shorthair died 19 years ago. I wrote him in in the last election since he would do no harm to the country. :(

Any with a wood stove experience ? Cat. Non-cat. Cast. Steel. Soapstone. Hybrid. Brand. % of wood heat.

ButchC

Quote from: Pulphook on September 11, 2018, 12:07:40 PM
Ready---fire--aim.
T.M.I.
No dog now. Never posted any dog story....or hackles. :D
I voted for "Ralph". Our German Shorthair died 19 years ago. I wrote him in in the last election since he would do no harm to the country. :(

Guilty of typing in a manner that could be misinterpreted , sorry about that.  Let me try this.
ME, being a dog owner,,, 
I edited the post so others would not be similarly confused.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

Pulphook

Apology accepted and done.
Or, as the attorneys say : "asked and answered."
Let's move on. :P

Now, about wood stoves..........

trapper

we burn year around with an owb  when we go on vacation for 2 weeks in the middle of the winter we turn on the gas furnace which has the heat exchanger for the owb in it.  I leave the circulator  pump on the owb  run.  when we get home after 2 weeks of below freezing weather the water in the owb and lines is between  40 and 50 degrees.It picks up enough heat from the gas furnace to keep everything from freezing.  That is what works for me.

we burn year around with a owb
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!