iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Champion 25 ton log splitter hydraulic oil capacity issue

Started by Dougie, August 19, 2018, 04:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougie

I just tried the manual's instructions for adding hydraulic oil to the tank, purging air from the system, etc.  The instructions say add four gallons, move the control lever back and forth several times to purge air from the system.  After a while, the ram should move smoothly.  Well, the ram does not move at all.  So I added the fifth gallon, and the tank level is still not up to the required level of the sight glass, and the ram still does not move.  What do folks think is the issue?

mike_belben

Ensure than the pump output line is routed to the valve "P" for pressure or pump port, the inlet.  That the valve "EXH" port goes back thru a filter into the tank return.  Then the A and B ports go to the cylinder.  Crack the lines at the cylinder and run the valve.  Youll get bubbles and oil.  If not be sure you dont have the pump connected backwards.

Only other thought is that the pump coupler has a keyway in it securely. 
Praise The Lord

Al_Smith

Firstly it's almost impossible trying to trouble shoot over the internet .However having said that it might just be something is wrong with the control valve, I've seen it . Easiest way to tell is fire it up and crack the pressure line going to the valve .If it sprays oil the pump would appear to be okay . 
It could be a broken spring in the relief valve ,part of the control valve or something lodged under the valve holding it open .Not to worry if you get sprayed with oil,we've all been there . :)

John Mc

How big is the tank? Is it possible the directions just have the wrong amount listed?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 31, 2018, 08:05:55 AMNot to worry if you get sprayed with oil,we've all been there

A word of warning: if you get sprayed by hydraulic fluid under high pressure, it's possible for it to get injected through your skin. (You may not see a cut or opening.) If this happens, seek treatment immediately. You can get a serious infection or gangrene. (It happened to a farmer when I was growing up in Ohio.) It's one of the reasons why you don't check for hydraulic leaks by feeling or holding your hand over the suspected area.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Well that's a point .Okay then try this . Idle the engine down and loosen the return line .If you have flow the pump is at least pumping .The return line won't build any pressure unless it has a plugged filter .

ButchC

A little more information would help. Is this a new splitter that you are assembling or is it a used one? Did it work before you drained the oil? Did you drain it or was it empty when you acquired it?  Take us from day one of the issue, that will help.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

John Mc

Quote from: Dougie on August 19, 2018, 04:45:34 PM
I just tried the manual's instructions for adding hydraulic oil to the tank, purging air from the system, etc.  The instructions say add four gallons, move the control lever back and forth several times to purge air from the system.  After a while, the ram should move smoothly.  Well, the ram does not move at all.  So I added the fifth gallon, and the tank level is still not up to the required level of the sight glass, and the ram still does not move.  What do folks think is the issue?
Well, you didn't mention starting the engine... :)
(sorry, couldn't resist. It reminded me of the old chainsaw joke where the guy returns his new chainsaw saying that it just won't cut. Dealer checks that the chain is not on backwards, shows the guy how to release the chainbrake. Dealer starts the saw, and the shocked customer says "What's that noise?!")

GAB

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

ButchC

Well duh, I guess I need to read every topic, I see below it us new. If it wont draw oil,from the tank try priming the pump. Pull the inlet hose at the pump and squirt some oil in it. 
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Gearbox

Is that one that the tank is in the axel ? If so they will not self prime . You are going to have to prime the pump . put a short hose on the suction side and fill the hose then slowly pull the engine over with the rope key off . run a quart through the pump put the suction hose back on and start it up it should then prime . Once the oil is in the pump it won't loose its prime unless it has a air leak .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!