iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burls

Started by timberbeast, March 23, 2001, 02:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberbeast

Anyone cutting,  selling,  using or buying burls these days?  I used to save them back when I turned bowls.  I made some neat ones,  also twig pots,  still around the house.  I'm kind of curious as to whether there is any interest on a wholesale level.  I've seen some go for some pretty big dollars on ebay.  Any experiences? ::)
Where the heck is my axe???

Don P

I've seen logs containing nice burls sold in the log home market. Around 100" would be a good length to save for posts. Some of the suppliers stock railings, bed parts etc. Bet they would be interested, check with handscribers in the area too.

Jeff

Hey Beast is Marquette thawed out yet?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

timberbeast

Not in the woods it ain't.  I was up there about 3 weeks ago.  Someone is cutting back past my camp,  so the road was plowed.  I climbed the bank and went up to my waist.  I talked to my uncle up in Rock 2 nights ago,  he's still got over a foot of snow,  it's hit 40 for a few days,  but freezes up at night.  He's got 50 sticks of maple he hasn't been able to get out yet.  Long time passing,  this winter!

RavioliKid

So, just what is a "twig pot"?

Enquiring minds want to know!
 ;)
RavioliKid

timberbeast

A "twig pot"  is kind of a small wooden vase,  with a hole in the top in which you can insert dry flowers,  etc.  You just take a samll piece of burl,  stick it in a lathe,  and turn it to whatever shape you like.  Some folks make them bigger,  and drill the hole big enough to insert a test-tube,  and then you can put in water,  and use it like a regular vase.  It is actually amazing to me what one can do with small bits of wood which most people leave lay.  Many cutters will leave "spalted"  wood lay and rot,  but to me it's the prettiest,  especially maple and birch.

L. Wakefield

You just take a samll piece of burl,  stick it in a lathe,  and turn it to whatever shape you like.  Some folks make them bigger...

OK, so for a few minutes there I was wondering how the heck you could put something in a lathe and make it BIGGER- I never took shop, but this was a technique beyond me..Then I figured out what you meant. :D :D :D :D
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

RavioliKid

Thanks for the info on twig pots. I was getting a mental image of something closer to a basket.

Does that make me a basket case? :D
RavioliKid

Jeff

Rav, your gettin to be very punny!

Actually, thats what I was picturing was a basket made of twigs.

Jeff

By the way forum, I was reminded by seeing Don P's name in this thread.  He will be gone for quite a while. He's on the rd to somewhere near Chicago to erect one huge log house. Says he will be back near Fall.

How many posts will we have by Labor Day???

timberbeast

You crack me up,  LW!   :D  Poor grammar on my part.  If I ever figure out how to make them bigger,  I'll let everone know!  Maybe if you run the lathe backwards?   :D :D

Jeff

Board stretcher. Aisle 3 next to the sky hooks...

timberbeast

For boards I just use a REAL big copying machine and set it on "enlarge".  Then I get to keep the original,  too.

Jeff

Shoot yea, but your just a little operation, you should see our log fax.

timberbeast

Heh heh heh!!!! :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!