iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Motor Longevity

Started by Bodger, January 27, 2012, 07:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodger

Looking at used mills I see quite a few ads that say something like  "...2200 hrs on mill, 1400 hrs on new motor."  most all those are diesel engines.  I am thinking about trading up a little, from a 95 gas to a newer diesel.   The gas Onan on my mill ran 6000 hrs w/o a problem so I would expect at least that much from a diesel.  Also, are the hydraulics much faster on a WM super as compared to a regular LTHD? 
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

steve phillips

hey bogger
what happened to the onan
thats some dang good hours on air cooled
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

Bodger

I pulled it down at 6000hrs and rebuilt.  From the time it was new I ran synthetic oil.  Virtually no wear on the insides. Back on the mill purring along.
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

hamish

For a diesel to have been replaced at 800hrs theres a problem, but also consider that the owner upgraded to a diesel at the 800hr mark.

A very well known and common engine the Honda GX series is rated as a 5000hr motor, have seen many pass that hour mark with flying colours with not even so much as an oil change or valve adjustment.  As Bodger has pointed out a well cared for engine will last a very long time..........ever consider how far you would have to drive your truck to get 5000hrs on the motor?
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

5quarter

At an average speed of 50mph, 250,000 miles.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!