iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to replace MS 440 Sparkplug coil wire & boot?

Started by ReggieT, May 02, 2017, 10:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Don't know whether to blame this on my fat mitts or the previous owner wearing out the original sparkplug boot, but bottom line: It's broke!

My non-mechanical skills are pretty well documented, yet I did find the entire coil wire and boot kit replacement kit on EBAY for about $6.00.
Is this a simple fix or must I take it to my local yokel Stihl Guru?

Thanks,
Reg

blueberrymuzik

Your current coil wire will just unscrew out of the coil. Then lay the old wire and boot assembly along side the new one and cut the new one to the same length, if necessary. After that it is just a matter of screwing the new wire into the coil, then follow the same routing to the plug.

ReggieT

Quote from: blueberrymuzik on May 02, 2017, 10:55:05 PM
Your current coil wire will just unscrew out of the coil. Then lay the old wire and boot assembly along side the new one and cut the new one to the same length, if necessary. After that it is just a matter of screwing the new wire into the coil, then follow the same routing to the plug.
WOW! God Bless your heart! 8)
I was quoted $80 labor plus & 30 in parts!! ::) :o
How long will this take me?...I'm a master duffous in mechanical matters.
Would I need to remove the coil & re-gap coil/flywheel upon reassembly?

joe_indi

Quote from: blueberrymuzik on May 02, 2017, 10:55:05 PM
That's asking for trouble!
You never know whether that old wire is shorter than the required length. So cutting it to that size would be a big irreversible mistake.
The specified length of the wire alone must be 15cm (6").
An inch extra of 7" is 'correctable' but any length less than 6" is not and it would be too short.

Quote from: ReggieT on May 03, 2017, 12:27:57 AM
........How long will this take me?...I'm a master duffous in mechanical matters.
Would I need to remove the coil & re-gap coil/flywheel upon reassembly?

You will need to take out the coil to unscrew the old wire and replace it with the new one.
After that you will need to re-gap the coil.
No big pain in that.
Fit the coil back with the screws slightly loose.
Turn the flywheel till its magnets are aligned with the coil's poles.
Break two old razor blades and place 2 halves each between each pole and magnet.
Press the coil lightly onto the flywheel and tighten the holding screws.
That should do it as a DIY job.
Joe

Mad Professor

Put some sealer around the new wire after it's screwed into the coil

Thank You Sponsors!