iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cordless Chainsaws - your experiences - recommendations

Started by opticsguy, July 01, 2018, 11:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

Dave,
I found it amusing that your old habits were still holding on.  You were gunning the engine before and after your cuts :D  Pretty impressive cutting for an electric.

The amp hour should have NO effect on the "power" of the saw, only how long it can cut before it is used up.  Your 4ah battery is having issues, IMHO.

I'd like to see the same kind of video with the DeWalt saws.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 24, 2018, 01:30:13 AMThe amp hour should have NO effect on the "power" of the saw, only how long it can cut before it is used up.  Your 4ah battery is having issues, IMHO.

It might have in a high drain application. The larger A/H batteries usually also have a higher peak current. Doesn't matter in a low power device like a flashlight or a screwdriver, but something like a chainsaw might be pushing the limit of what a smaller battery can supply. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

Quote from: Ianab on July 24, 2018, 01:56:24 AM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 24, 2018, 01:30:13 AMThe amp hour should have NO effect on the "power" of the saw, only how long it can cut before it is used up.  Your 4ah battery is having issues, IMHO.

It might have in a high drain application. The larger A/H batteries usually also have a higher peak current. Doesn't matter in a low power device like a flashlight or a screwdriver, but something like a chainsaw might be pushing the limit of what a smaller battery can supply.
What Ianab describes is exactly the case with the Milwaukee saw. Yes, as ljohnsaw notes, AH ratings are generally a measure of how long a battery will last. However, in the case of the Milwaukee M18 12 AH battery, it is capable of delivering a higher current than the smaller M18 batteries. This is also true (though to a slightly lesser extent) with the 9 AH M18 batteries. It shouldn't hurt the smaller batteries, since the M18 system is smart enough to limit the current the battery delivers to what it is capable of handling, and will completely shut down if the battery start to get too hot.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dave Shepard

That wasn't my video. 

Both the batteries, and the tools, protect themselves. My 7 1/4" saw on a 5ah battery does not run as well as it does on a 9ah. The 12ah battery is used on the chainsaw and the new 15 amp corded equivalent tools not just for run time but also for available amperage. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

John Mc

I wonder where the guy in the video found the special promotion where Milwaukee added the extra 9 AH battery in addition to the 12 AH that normally comes with it
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tin Horse

Not sure where in the US. But Canada I just found it from Federated Tool and ordered one.
Wife doesn't even know yet. 8)
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

gspren

Question for you Milwaukee fans, will the new higher amp batteries work in the older M18 tools? I'm tired of my cordless tools going obsolete every few years, I like my 14.4 Makita drill but can't now get a hedge trimmer, saw to match. I also have a 18V Dewalt at the shore house and that style battery is also gone. I can get batteries rebuilt but when adding a new tool you go to a different battery >:(. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Dave Shepard

Milwaukee has promised that all batteries and tools on the M18 platform will be compatible going forward. There are a couple of tools, such as the magnetic drill press, that need new plastic parts to accommodate the 12.0 battery, but I have read that Milwaukee will be providing them for free. I consider this to be a huge selling point, especially as I have 15 M18 tools and almost 90 ah of working batteries. 

Corley5

I got a Milwaukee from my local dealer today ;D 8)  Wasn't planning to buy one now but he had one in stock and has sold several and said everyone loves them.  Saw, 12.0 battery, and a Rapid Charger.  He threw in a saw wrench when I told him a new Husky came with a tool kit ;) ;D  Battery is charging now.  We'll try it in the morning :) :)  It's got an Oregon chain and bar on it :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

HolmenTree

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Magicman

You will love it.  I never cease to be amazed at how handy my 40V Brushless Ryobi is and what it can do.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Quote from: Magicman on August 01, 2018, 10:36:35 PM
You will love it.  I never cease to be amazed at how handy my 40V Brushless Ryobi is and what it can do.
Have you had any battery problems with that Ryobi? I've been hearing reports of their 40V batteries and/or chargers crapping out.  From what I'm hearing, if they make it past the first few months of actual use, they will probably be OK, but there is a lot of "infant mortality" on those parts.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Corley5 on August 01, 2018, 08:51:48 PM
 I got a Milwaukee from my local dealer today ;D 8)  Wasn't planning to buy one now but he had one in stock and has sold several and said everyone loves them.  Saw, 12.0 battery, and a Rapid Charger.  He threw in a saw wrench when I told him a new Husky came with a tool kit ;) ;D  Battery is charging now.  We'll try it in the morning :) :)  It's got an Oregon chain and bar on it :)
Looking forward to a review from someone who doesn't make me worry they are about to take their leg of on YouTube.  :D
The Milwaukee does come with a scrench. It's stuffed up the bottom of the handle. 

DelawhereJoe

Quote from: gspren on July 24, 2018, 01:44:22 PM
I'm tired of my cordless tools going obsolete every few years, I have a 18V Dewalt at the shore house and that style battery is also gone. I can get batteries rebuilt but when adding a new tool you go to a different battery >:(.
They make a 20v adapter for the 18v dewalt tools, the adapter, 2 batteries and charger run about $140 from lowes or the depot. You can also get aftermarket batteries from Amazon in 2 packs for $32-35.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Corley5

Used the Milwaukee just a little bit today.  Had to prune a tree in front of the shop and cut up the limbs with it when they were on the ground.  Nothing big at all but it worked good.  Might use it a bit more tomorrow at the firewood machine.  I found the scrench in the bottom of the handle :) 8)  I like a full size one much better but it'll do in a pinch :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mad murdock

We have an industrial supply jobber in the area that sells all the milwaukee line at better than HD prices. I put an order in for one as hey have been solid back ordered on the chainsaw since it's announcmemt and release for sale. I have several M18 tools and they are all game changers. Have several M12 as well.  Incredible tools and the conven Ende of cordless Can not be overstated!  My 1/2" drive impacts wrench is more powerful than any 1/2" drive air powered wrench. The circle saw is flat awesome, as well as my weed whacker. I also am really impressed with my shop vac. It works great and has the suction power of an order vac. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sumday

Now that the Milwaukee has been out for a while, anyone have more feedback? 

Inaotherlife

Echo CS2511T is much more fun than any battery saw.

I do use a cordless circular saw and sawsall for all but the toughest jobs though.

wild262

Gas saws has a purpose like any other saw. No, they can't be compaired with battery saws as far as burte power, or chain speed.  But they do have there place.  I try to have "fun" with all my saws, and that's part of the purpose of them battery saws for "me".  Its not much fun anymore to use my big Jonny 2094 as it used to me 30 yrs. ago. Or even a 60cc saw for that matter.  As I get older, I like lighter, lower maint. options for getting work done.  And thats where these battery saws shine, especially for us older folks.  I have had a 40V Oregon 2nd generation for a few yrs. now and really like it.  If I got a stick of wood that won't go in the wood stove, I can fire it up in the basement and not wake anyone up, or need take it outside :)
     Recently I have been starting to introduce chainsaw use to my young grand boys.  I can't think of any better saw to start a boy (or girl), out on, than a cordless saw.  You can actually coach them while they run it!  Something my dad couldn't do when I was learning. They can learn the basics with them before going to gas saws.  I sure wish I could have done that. :)   Just my 2 cents.

opticsguy

OP here . . . . again......  :-)

A long time since I originally posted this topic and somewhere along the way, I purchased a Milwaukee cordless chainsaw.  This saw works exactly as I had both hoped and expected.  

I can cut up a tree that has fallen across the road.
I can store the saw in the trunk of my car for unexpected emergencies as above.
I did recently find a Madrone Tree that had fallen by the roadside and immediately cut it into chunks big enough to get in my small car and now using this somewhat rare wood for some projects at home.  

Run time is surprisingly good and one can easily buck up a fallen tree into firewood on a charge.  I will still be using my gas powered saws for cutting firewood and big trees and stuff for the sawmill.  The Milwaukee is now THE saw for trimming up around the mill and just about anything that makes this so handy and easily used.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

sumday

Thanks opticsguy. That was exactly the kind of feedback I was after. 

Thank You Sponsors!