iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choice of Lumber for Log Cabin... native to PA, Cedar, Hemlock, ????

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 11, 2009, 07:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

Hello All

I was talking to a ole timer today regarding the building my log cabin out of white pine.

He said... Pine would not be his choice, bugs can or will be a problem down the road.

Also, the yearly care/ wood treatment would always be hanging around my neck.

Here in PA, based on the availability of other (native to PA) wood and related cost.. What is your best choice  & why ?

Avery

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

woody1

I am in central PA. I build a very rustic log cabin out of hemlock. It's hold up very well. I have been sprating it with a wood preservative every couple years. The biggest thing on a log cabin is plenty of overhang. If the water can't get to the logs, it'll last for years. There are pictures of my cabin in my gallery.
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

sgschwend

Can you find spruce?

It has been used for log cabins, airplanes and other structures, a leader in the weight versus strength category.

It also cuts great, peels great too.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

H60 Hawk Pilot

The Spruce you refer to is " Blue Spruce. "

That is native to PA, is that correct ?

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

sgschwend

Check out this site, it has maps of the most common species.  This map is of them all together.  The site has 20 other maps that separating the forests.

http://forestry.about.com/od/forestresources/tp/Forest_Cover_Type.htm

In our area Sitka Spruce is common, but you have eastern and red spruce.  There are lot of species the link will show you where they are, how to identify the trees and uses.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

H60 Hawk Pilot

Looks like a Rustic Faced Cabin with conventional walls with good insulation is the best answer.

I am thinking that Hemlock would work the best or what __________ ?

I looked at the forestry mapping of all USA woods. Pardon my knowledge base, I did not pick up on the best wood to use for Log Cabin construction (native to PA). Looking for the best bug resistance. I have heard that Redwood is Tops but Expensive.

However, facing a cabin... would this siding process be completely out-of-sight cost wise ?

Avery

VT-Woodchuck

No problem with pine. I built a log home (kit) in 1974 out of white pine. It is still in excellent condition. The overhang is important and it is re-stained every 5 years or so. Looks great!  :D

Ron Wenrich

Kuhns Brothers have been selling white pine cabins for 20 years.  Most cabin manufacturers in the northeast use white pine.  That's what we use for our cabin stock.  I know of no one using hemlock.

White pine has a better R factor than hemlock.  That's because it isn't quite as dense, so it insulates better. 

Take a look at all those old barns in your area.  They were made from white pine.  Same goes for all those old houses.  Overhang and getting them up off the ground are the 2 main things.  Bugs can be a problem, especially if the wood gets wet.  Carpenter ants need wood that is wet. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

york

Avery,

Just for the heck of it,why not take a run to"Sugarloaf Mountain log homes"

Does not cost to look-saw there display,at home show in Bloomsburg and was impressed...

396 Tower rd.
Sugarloaf,pa

570-384-4877

you may get some ideas,from your tour of there place,Bert
Albert

jander3

Wood that is sort of straight and located close.  Large overhangs is the key to long life or any log cabin.

White Pine works fine. Red Pine works well.   In Minnesota, many log cabins are built from these two species.

H60 Hawk Pilot

Ok, White Pine is Good to Go for Log Cabin

I have a deal struck for all the white pine I need on the adjoining property, nice size W P trees.

Has anyone tried adding a layer of insulation to the inside wall. I realize that the Log Cabin effect may be loss but Pine Paneling (real pine boards) would get the look back.

I want to cover all the bases and want to hold the heat in and cold out.

Avery

sgschwend

Keep in mind you will be lifting these logs; Hemlock hold a lot more water than other species.

That is why spruce is so popular, it is light weight and strong. ;)
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Ron Wenrich

I think a lot would depend on how much you will be using it in the colder months.  I know you mentioned about renting out the cabins, but that seems to be a seasonal thing, and is pretty well over after hunting season ends.  Is it worth the extra effort?

MotorSeven

I don't know how white pine compares to southern yellow pine. I built one out of SYP using 5x5 logs, no other insulation, 1624sq ft. We heated with a wood stove & had to crack a window or two most of the time even when it was down in the teens. Do a google & I know there is a chart that converts log species to R value based on thickness. I would bet that a 6x6 white pine log has a R rating somewhere between R13 & R19.

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Gary_C

There are many pine log cabins in this cold climate that people live in year around and they have no insulation other than the logs. However those cabins are heated all the time.

Be aware that a log cabin that is heated just on weekends for example can be the coldest home you ever lived in. The problem is that insulation factor that works for you also works against you on short term occupancy. It can take many days to get those logs up to a comfortable living temperature inside and so during your short stay you will be miserable or huddled next to the heat.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ron Wenrich

breederman

What Gary said. ;)  I live in a white pine log home.{kit house} easy to heat , but don't let it cool down.   We went away once in March for 3 1/2 days the temp in the hous when we got back was around 45 degrees I think we burned up a face cord of fire wood getting all that mass in the walls heated back up! I don't think you can really compare r-values of a solid wall to a conventional stick/insulated wall.
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!