iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions

Started by Lko67, April 22, 2018, 11:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lko67

I'm looking at purchasing a LT15 or a norwood LM29 with upgrades to make comparable to LT15 appears to be about 1000 different in price (norwood cheaper) and am wondering on blades will be sawing mostly pine but have red and white oak,hickory,ash,maple,poplar and birch on my 15 acres will be personal use and family. Going with the 19 horse on wm and 16 on norwood. Thinking 20 or thirty bands. What degree or degrees does anyone think would be best?

SawyerTed

If I were picking, I would go with the LT15 and the higher horsepower.  I've never heard anyone say l wish this sawmill had less power.  More power equals higher cutting speed and power for cutting through tough knots and grain with less chance of wavy cuts.  Both mills you are looking at make boards and beams just fine.  After a a few months of owning a Woodmizer, I am partial.

I picked 4 degree blades for all around cutting.  They cut the pine just fine and have no problem with the oaks.   With one blade profile, I only have to keep up with what's sharp and what's dull.  I started with 30 bands.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

starmac

Nothing against a norwood, and  I am sure they are a fine mill, but if the difference is only in the 1,000 buck range, I would be hard pressed to not go with the mizer.

I am thinking they have a much better dealer network, plus the resale will over ride that 1000 bucks pretty easy.

There is actually a thread going on right now about Norwoods customer service after the fact, that might interest you too.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

fluidp

I just bought a LM29.  I am mostly happy with the mill. I would bet the WM is a better quality mill though. The things I like about the Norwood is the capability to very affordably lengthen the carriage frame. 4' bed extensions for under $200. I got three extensions for under 600 and can cut a 24' log.  Can go as long as you want.
Mill does the job and the 16 hp motor is good power for that size of mill...Customer service after the purchase im a bit disappointed with, but perhaps they are having a busy week????   I do not regret buying the Norwood

firefighter ontheside

I have a 2005 LT15 with a 15horse kohler.  Occasionally I think more power would be good, but for the most part it's good. That makes me think that 19 horse would be plenty.  I inherited the mill from a friend.  I got 17 bands that are 10 deg double hards.  I have not seen anything that makes me think I need different angle.  When I send in for resharp next time, I'm having them include 3 new blades.  Then I'll have 20 bands and I think that will do me just fine.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

dboyt

Any way you can get out and work with someone local?  I've been running a Norwood HD36 for about 7 years now, always good service and tech support.  I run 10° blades for all my cutting-- even hickory-- and it seems to work fine.  Main thing is to keep a sharp blade on the mill & keep everything lined up and in proper adjustment.  To start with, 20 blades should be ok.  You'll figure out if you need more as you go.  I typically go through a blade in 4 or 5 hours when cutting hardwood.  When you're budgeting, think about extra stuff, like a cant hook.  That $1,000 difference would buy you a pretty good chain saw.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Lko67

Think I'm gonna go to open house in pa on May 5th to look them over and maybe talk to some other sawyers and marty

Cappy

A few years ago I went thru this same debate. There is a lot of good companies out there that make great sawmills. After some time I narrowed it down to two companies, Norwood and Woodmizer. Woodmizer no doubt makes a fantastic mill, however like Dboyt mentioned, I got a few extras for the price of the standard LT-15 Woodmizer. So much so, that I spent a little extra and went to the bigger mill, Norwoods HD-36. The comparable mill in Woodmizer was more expensive for about the same quality. I pulled the trigger and never looked back. My Norwood has been maxed out time and time again and it just keeps grunting for more. I'm sure the Woodmizer would be somewhat the same in performance. I didn't get all the bells and whistles but I know I can add them later if I want to with the HD-36. Its surprising to hear about the customer service, I didn't have any trouble with the New York establishment. I dealt with Brett Tomlinson and he was great. Even walked me thru an adjustment while I was out with the machine running. Hope this helps with your decision.

Lko67

Guess I'll have to go another time bummer just got a call from brushy mtn. Bee farm were supposed to be here this weekend but got postponed to May 5th :'(

Thank You Sponsors!