iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 08 Manual

Started by jteneyck, September 25, 2009, 07:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jteneyck

Does anyone have an electronic version of the owners or service manual for an 08?  If so, I'd really appreciate it if you could send it to me, or post it here so that others can access it as well.   

My neighbor has an 08.  It seems to idle smooth enough, but the speed varies at higher throttle even when the throttle is held steady.  I suppose the source of the problem could be many, including fuel line, tank vent, aged parts in the carburetor, dirt, etc. in the carb?  Does anyone know the make/model of the carb. in an 08?  Could it be a Tillotson HL 327B? 

Any comments or ideas are appreciated. 

Thanks.   

sablatnic

That could be caused by the regulator. It is supposed to close the choker to prevent the saw from over revving. You should be able to see it via the slit for the choker button.

Al_Smith

The only manual I have for this model is on micro fitche and I have no way to copy it .

However in looking at the trouble shooting guide for this model  it lists two possible causes for this problem .Either an air leak around the carb or a broken piston ring .

It does in fact list a Tillotson HL for this model although I find it surprising they would use that carb on a saw this small .Then again ,we're talking 1963 or so  and a 50 cc saw in those days was rather small as compaired to today .

sablatnic

The HL is correct. I still think it is running lean, over revving and then "pulled down" again by the regulator / rev. limiter. Did other saws use the same sort of rev. limiter? That closing the choker does seem somewhat harsh.

jteneyck

Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I'll let you know what I find.

John

Al_Smith

I just got through reading the entire micofitche of this saw and I did not see one thing about the use of any speed regulation devices mentioned there in . It did mention the max allowable speed being 10,000 rpm . I could have over looked something though .

As far as governers  the only two I am aware of is either the old air vane types on the antique   saws or the special enrichening device as used on the Husqvarna 2100 .

On the later at some predetermined rpm it was supposed to generate a certain amount of vibrations that some how shifted a valve deal and riched the mixture and thus limited the rpms . Most people who own that praticular saw model by pass that feature,including myself .

Then of course on some later model saws they used a rev limiting coil .

sablatnic

The 08's I used to work on had the vane type regulator. Could be something used only in Europe.

jteneyck

Here is what I found today from all your ideas and a couple of my own:
- There is indeed a regulator on the saw, activated by the fan on the flywheel.  But it was fine and not the source of the problem; I held it open just to be sure, and the saw still changed speed at high throttle same as before.
- The piston rings looked fine; I don't believe either is cracked.
- The carb is solidly attached to the cylinder.  If there's a leak, it's not because it's loose.
- The fuel line looked a little soft, so I ran a separate line to the carb but it didn't make any difference.
- I played around with the jets - the low speed jet definitely works; however, I got essentially no response from the hi speed jet.  I think it might be the source of the problem.  Any comments?  Thanks. 

jteneyck

I never got any feedback to my last posting, so I thought I'd make another entry in hopes someone has some new ideas why this saw won't run properly.  Please take a look at my prior posting(s) and if you have any ideas I'd appreciate the help. 

Thanks.

Al_Smith

Some times when a person responds to these threads a person has to be carefull as to not insult someone who obviously is unknowledgable with the workings of a saw engine .

Now with no malice intended so take it for what it's worth .On a saw that old the very first thing I would have done would have been to rebuild the carb with a new gasket and diaphragm kit and have it over with .

More than likely 90 or more percent of the time saw problems are directly related to fuel delivery problems and of that 90 percent are faulty carbs . A carb kit for that saw is ten bucks or less unless you buy it through Stihl. Then be prepared to pay about  tripple that amount just for the name Stihl on the parts package .

As far as rebuilding one it's as easy as falling offa log .Just go to Tillotsons website and get the directions . Fact is ,it's so easy even I can do it . 8)

jteneyck

Thanks Al.  No offense taken.  If it were my saw, I would have done it already, but since it's my neighbor's I'd like to be pretty sure of the problem before asking him to spend money on it, although carb rebuild kits normally are cheap.  I think it's time to spend that little bit of money.   

John 

Thank You Sponsors!