iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody Watch our Competition

Started by Fla._Deadheader, November 25, 2005, 08:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Just watched the Underwater Loggers in the GReat Lakes, on "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery. It WILL rerun very soon.

These guys are WOOSSES. The water is nearly CLEAR. They use screw eyes and ropes ??  They wear DRYSUITS. They use a CRANE. They use an RF Wave Kiln, to dry the lumber. Then it goes to a slicer veneer mill.

Nice lookin stuff. ALMOST as nice as ours  ::) ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WH_Conley

Couldn't be much fun, not havin gators to swim with.
Bill

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, 'speshully when ya can see whatcher doin. NO susprises.  ::) ::) :D :D

NO adventure  ;) :) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Fla._Deadheader

No time. I got very little time left before leaving.
   First, it is ridiculed;

beenthere

DH
What are your plans?  If you don't mind me askin?  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

Are you not aware that I'm moving to Costa Rica ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

:D :D :D :D

I think he GOTCHA, Harold. ;D

:D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

UNCLEBUCK

I watched that show tonight and I said outloud where is the gators and the zero visibilty ! Was neat to see the big squared up oaks that went down on their way to europe 150 years ago .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Furby

It is the episode:  "Chimney Sweeper"
and will air again on
DEC 21 2005 @ 11:00 PM.

Deadwood

I've been to Costa Rica, nothing great I can tell you that.

Black sand beeches, lots of big snakes, and WAY too hot. I'll take twenty below and blowing twenty any day of the week!

Engineer

Harold, I gotta say, that clip of Dirty Jobs offended me like you would not believe.  I don't know of any of the rest of you that does woodworking or deals in reclaimed lumber, but watching what they did with those logs was just SICK.   >:(

Here you have cherry, beech and birch logs that have been underwater for a hundred years or more, old-growth wood with tight rings and some fabulous grain and color, and what do they do?  They slice it into veneer, the glue it to termite barf sheets, and then they cut it up and STAIN IT with something that they think will make it look more like cherry?  And some bigshot executive gets a decent-appearing desk that will fall apart and be relegated to the dumpster the next time they remodel the office.   There goes the veneer.

That wood oughta be sold to someone who will produce a piece of heirloom-quality furniture - a Chippendale or Queen Anne highboy, or some Greene and Greene- styled furniture, or at least something worth the effort it takes to salvage that lumber.  Granted, if someone wasn't pulling logs out of the lake, the corporate types would have to have new trees cut for their office furniture.    Why don't they just take poplar or alder or something if they are gonna stain it and glue it to sawdust pancakes, though?

Ergh.  >:(  :'(  Makes me hoppin mad.  Hope you woodworkers can understand.

Coon

They may as well be either cutting those logs into firewood or chipping them up for pulp as to what they are doing with them.  I guess that just rests my case in proving that the big wigs don't have any brains in their coconuts.... :D :D....oops I meants heads....... :D :D :D.    Case closed.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Fla._Deadheader

Gotta agree with the uses, but, money talks, unfortunately.  :( ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kirk_Allen

I would bet if there were some fine furniture builders willing to pay the big bucks for the wood they would have found them.  Unfortunately, for what they get for veneerer it would cost a fortune for anyone to buy it by the BF for any type of craft work.  Even if they could buy it, they probably would have a tough time finding a market that was willing to pay the big bucks and make it a profitable venture.

What would I do?

I would keep some select pieces for my own projects and probably sell the rest to the highest bidder.  Whether its in the veneer or lumber stock would not matter to me as I FINALLY learned not to get attached to a piece of wood..............................well kind of ;D

I have some of the most beautiful wood ever sitting in my barn buried deep in a pile.  I hope to SOMEDAY use it but as time goes on and I cut more and more wood I realized that I am cutting it to make money and there are only so many jobs I can do in my life time when it comes to making fine furniture. 

farmerdoug

Like Kirk said, most businesses are in the business of selling their producs for the highest dollar they can get.  We are too. ;)  If you want to sell me your veneer logs for firewood prices then I will take all that you will haul me. 8) 8) 8)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Norwiscutter

Kirk, you will need ten life times of projects before you will burn up your stash... so to speak.  The nice thing about trees is that they grow new ones everyday.  Besides, your going to have to build another barn pretty soon cause that one looked mighty full already.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

crtreedude

Kirk,

Are you needing to join "Wood Hoarders Anonomous?"  It think a fine piece of wood is more adicting than alcohol!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Engineer

I don't see anything wrong with collecting wood or lumber as-is.  I have several nice boards in my shop that will probably never make it into a project.  I also have some apple burl halves laced with ant tunnels that I have sanded down and put a finish on, there is no way I can make a project out of something like that and make it look more visually appealing than it already does (and not ruin it in the process).  Maybe in a couple decades when my lathe skills are up there, I can chuck a half on the lathe and see what turns out.   ;D

crtreedude

Engineer,

There are people in this group who have had to build additional wood storage sheds... because of those special pieces...

I will admit, I have about 5,000 - no, closer to 6,000 and I really don't want to sell any of it...  ::)

If it wasn't for Hector, I don't think I would sell anything. Can you imagine the fascination to have a piece of Mahogany in your grubby little hands... ?

I figure one of the things that Harold has packed away is a mini-crowbar so that I will let go of some wood...  :D

Dan_Shade

haha, those of us that can't part with, or even use a bueatiful piece of wood, are completely misunderstood by the rest of the world!  now, how so many ended up on this board, that's a good question :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Paschale

I've got a friend who does his own log retrieval in Lake Michigan.  I don't really understand how it works, but after some big storms, some of these logs will break free, and float just below the surface.  He's got a good eye, and he looks for the tell tale sign of them when part of them break the surface.  He's one guy who appreciates those logs for what they are, and what they were, and the history behind them.  I've seen some of the furniture he's made from them, and it's pretty amazing wood.  One of the coolest things I saw in his shop was the end of one of those massive logs cut off, with the sawmill stamp clearly seen to identify the log.  Pretty cool stuff!  As to, "where's the adventure," well, apparently it's been more than one yahoo who's been zipping along at a pretty fair clip on Little Bay de Noc and ran smack dab into one of those logs just bobbing below the surface!   :o  That's no gator, but it's definitely a dangerous lurker in the water.   ;D

I tried to get this friend of mine to post his experiences here on the forum, but to no avail.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

farmerdoug

Paschale,

That may be because the state frowns on removing logs sunken or floating as stealing state property.  They are very touchy on the subject and it is probably wise that he does not talk too loudly about it.  They treat it the same as going onto state land and cutting trees for logs or firewood without a permit.  They will prosecute for that offense.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

johncinquo

Dont get too worked up about those logs getting veneered out.  I know of at least two places that use a bunch of it for custom furniture and woodworkings and there are several more out there.  You want to buy some of this wood?,,  Better get in line!  There are only a couple firms licensed to pull this wood eitehr out of the water or dive for it off the bottom.  They pay a heavy price for the privelege.  On top of that , the Best logs are up in Lake superior.  Low temps all year, like just above freezing, and low oxygen levels keep the logs from rotting.  The veneer buyers are paying a hefty price for these above normal pricing on regular veneer logs.    I would hazard to guess its a simple function of supply and demand as well.  Not that many people want to spend the high dollar to have custom furniture made, from wood that is substantially higher priced to begin with.  Even the best made "office" furniture is going to be higher than normal stuff. 

GR press did a big article a couple years ago on the local guy that dives and makes furniture out of this stuff, maybe we can find the link.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Ron Scott

Much of the Great Lakes locations are in "cold & deep" waters. thus the need for dry suits used by the divers.  ;)

Log salvage is not like it use to be years ago. Special permits are needed from the State for removal of any woody debis from its waters and they are not very easy to come by. Stumpage values must be paid  to the State for any logs recovered from the state's bottom lands. 
~Ron

Murf

Them fellas aren't far from me, a friend did some barge work for them in their early days.

He told them the same thing, a waste fo great wood, unfortunately it came down to dollars & sense.

If it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense.  :D  They couldn't get as much for the logs as lumber as they could making the...... stuff ..... they do with it.

All the lakes around my place are full of timber the same age, but mostly old growth virgin white pine. They would cut all winter and yard the wood on the frozen lakes till break up then float it down to the mills. A lot of it sank before it ever got to the mills. There's a log of the end of my dock that's gotta be 4' around that looks to be in great shape, I can't push a screwdriver in more than about an inch, it's down about 30' and right in the current so it isn't even buried.

Once my mill is built I think it's gonna come up for air, and a new table........  8)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Frickman

I too was a little upset about what they did to that beautiful wood, but it's a free country. If you want pay top dollar for cherry veneer logs, I'll sell them to you all day. If you cut them up into firewood that's you're business.

I will occasionally save some wood, but it has to be special. Cutting wood is a business for me, and I have to sell it to make a living. I know I can get the more common species at any time, so I don't save too much of them. A nice piece of apple, sassafrass, or another less common species will get my heart pumping and I have to keep it for myself. I'm not a full-fledged wood hoarder, but it is an addiction that is under control. ;D ;D
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

crtreedude

Well, we aren't anyone to talk about using really wonderful wood for mundane purposes. The house where FDH is staying is sided with SurĂ¡ - Pecky SurĂ¡ in fact. Really pretty stuff.

Probably much to good for FDH - I am going to have to watch him that he doesn't pry it off one night and sell it...  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Just for kicks, What does that stuff sell for, Fred ??  smiley_devilish smiley_devil
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Just keep your crowbar off my houses!  :o

Murf

CROWBAR ??!!

No, that's far to agressive for fine wood, FDH is much more genteel than that .........

He'd be reallllll smooth takin' it off, otherwise it wouldn't bring as much money.  :D

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

I can see the pressure is on... the is only one hope. Keep FDH so busy that can't have time to dismantle the house.

Harold, once you get here, I have an order for 1,000 BF you have to process into TG flooring. Just sold it.

Fred

Murf

Either that or just subtly point out that the neighbours places have nicer wood siding .......  :D

Phorester

CRTREEDUDE, 

Wood HOarders Anonymous:  WHOA

crtreedude

I think that WHOA will work as well as it does on a 2.5 year old stallion ... with this group.

Phorester

Or a 4 year old boy.  You be right I suspect.

Thank You Sponsors!