iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ignition module

Started by johnny newburgh, November 20, 2017, 09:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny newburgh

Bought a stihl 031 in pieces  put it back together replaced gas tank seal, new gas cap, rebuilt carburetor, new fuel line and pick up line in tank. Had saw running but it ran erratic and lacked snappy response on low end. Then I watched some tube videos and got into doing vacuum and pressure tests. Carburetor checked out ok, fuel line good, impulse line good, Manifold good, No leaks on base gasket or case, pressure test on Crankshaft seals good, Failed vacuum test on crank seal. So then i replaced seals and saw still would not run good  and could not get max rpms with tach . then i remembered reading some one saying to reverse wires on coil. I can not remember what instructions said when i had installed module but I believe that was most of my issues. Started saw and the difference was amazing great throttle response and was able to hit max rpms no problem!!!! But it was short lived as i missed putting a thrust washer behind oiler spur gear that sits on top of new seal on clutch side. The friction of the gear riding on seal melted gear and seal stuck to it and pulled it out of case.  Anyway just got it back together with new seal and the thrust washer ahhahha. I will see what tomorrow brings when i fire it up!!!!  So if anyone has issues with ignition module ---not getting max rpms try reversing coil wires..

sawguy21

;D You are going to be the go to guy on 031's.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thedoublejranch

I had a Stihl 031 I got years ago, also a basket case. Put it all together, no spark. Factory module failed. It was a horseshoe shaped unit under the flywheel. Went to Stihl, got a replacement module that was mounted outside to aid in cooling. Ran flawless. Sold it several years back. I see the module is now obsolete. There is handy little universal ones, one is called a NOVAII and another by Kawasaki. Perfect to convert an old points system or replace a failed electronic unit.
Yes, the instructions said if it doesn't work one way, reverse the polarity at the module. I just did this exact conversion to al old 1984 Sachs Dolmar 133, dead ignition, no longer avaialble anywhere. Installed the NOVAII and away it went. I had a thread in here in it. Just use NOVAII in an amazon search, you will see it. About $13. Cheap enough to have a spare in stock/on hand.  ;D
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Thank You Sponsors!