iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Growing hickory market

Started by Birchwood Logging, November 27, 2013, 02:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birchwood Logging

Just checking the hickory market in other places it seems to be growing hear in ky I hear that hickory is becoming a pretty popular choose in cabinetry use to thy would only buy it for ties and pallet now the mill I sell to is buying it for saw logs and paying $500 a thousand there is a lot of good hickory left in my area where past loggers have left it in the hills due to it low value
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

treeslayer2003

same here, it will veneer too. pays like poplar. sometimes sweet gum will to if it got a small heart.

mesquite buckeye

There ya go. Always grow your best trees.  ;D You can never know what will be popular 20-40 or more years in the future. :snowfight1:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Birchwood Logging

Now only if beach would become popular
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

mesquite buckeye

I'm thinking that has happened. Didn't they used to use beech for beer barrels?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

coxy

Quote from: Birchwood Logging on November 27, 2013, 03:16:31 PM
Now only if beach would become popular
if they had a good market for it I could all most be rich  :D 8) 8)

ga jones

Price stinks here. I send it for pallet. Beech to.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Autocar

Ive been getting .43 a board foot here in my area, I only take them the butt log maybe the second if it looks good.
Bill

CCC4

Hickory market has always been pretty good here. Most of what I cut goes to tie mills and as scrag, but I have sawmilled long enough to know the side lumber goes as #1 to where really nice oak lumber goes FaS. I used to sell 52" swell butts to handle mills but I got away from that and have never heard if that market is still here or not.

coxy

Quote from: ga jones on November 27, 2013, 04:49:39 PM
Price stinks here. I send it for pallet. Beech to.
I was told common wealth was buying veneer hickory   but don't know the price

Birchwood Logging

There is a few veneere mills hear in ky that is paying $1.00 a foot for good veneere logs they are about 100 miles away from me so I just take them to my local mill

wolf nemeth

Birchwood, can you tell me where those veneer mills are located?  Do they buy  all  kinds of veneer logs?  I'm about an hour SE of Nashville.  thanks
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

Birchwood Logging

Here is a few the freeman corporation in Winchester ky  D&D veneer in pine knot ky  Allegheny veneer co. Mt sterling ky the one in pine knot is probably the closest to you do you need there phone numbers 

wolf nemeth

Thanks for those  veneer names. I always thought the closest veneer m ill was up in Indiana!    Next  spring I will be more serious about  some commercial cutting  (Like you,  I am new to Forestry forum and just feeling my way around).  I bought a woodmizer a couple months back, but a lot of those trees I will cut next year ought to go for veneer. Less work at a better price, I hope!
     If you have any of those phone numbers handy, please  put 'em out there. If not, I can probably find them on the internet. thanks again
wolf
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

ehp

I live a ways from most of you guys in Canada but I sell my veneer to Freemans , For hickory I get $1500/1000 and the saw mill here gets my sawlogs at $800/1000

Thank You Sponsors!