iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone recommend a basic forestry book?

Started by Kelvin, January 29, 2009, 07:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
I'm interested if there is any basic, up to date, forestry book i could find used easy enough.  I get asked lots of questions from people thinking about having some "selective" (high grade) logging done and what i think.  I try not to think too much, but i'm curious about some basic forestry ideas.  Like how many dead trees per acre, proper spacing of trees, this type of thing.  Any suggestions out there?
Thanks
Kelvin

jeffreythree

I have read a lot fo them, and I mean a lot.  New and old.  I like Farming the Small Forest: A guide for the landowner by Laurence C Walker and The Woodlot Management Handbook: Making the Most of Your Wooded Property For Conservation, Income or Both  by Stewart Hilts (Author), Peter Mitchell (Author), Ann-Ida Beck (Illustrator).  I like The Woodlot Management Handbook a little better because it is a little better written, newer, and covers a few more topics. 
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

Beweller

Ecology and Management of Central Hardwood Forests, R. R. Hicks, Jr., John Wileu & Sons, 1998.
Beweller

Beweller

This is not a "basic" book, but it contains a huge amount of information.  I would suggest you look at a copy before buying.

Forest Stand Dynamics, C. D. Oliver and B. C. Larson, John Wiley & Sons, 1996.
Beweller

Ron Wenrich

I've always liked the Forestry Handbook that was put out by the Society of American Foresters.  It gives a pretty good guide on how to do a lot of things, as well as many of the tree characteristics and forest dynamics.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Kelvin

Thanks guys, i went on ABE Books and ordered a couple of these used for pretty cheap.  Can't wait till they show up.
Kelvin

Prizl tha Chizl

"The Woods Is My Church"

Thank You Sponsors!