iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recreational logging

Started by JesseA, January 29, 2018, 09:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesseA

I'd like to make money on it, but it's not my vocation, so recreational it is. 
I've been laid off for a couple weeks and busy taking weld tests at a previous employers, so back out into the woods with the saw and the buggy in the afternoon to get some pine sawlogs because I cut all the nice straight ash for firewood before I knew I could sell it as logs. 

Picked a pair of leaning but otherwise nice pines did the bore cut like I've been using for the last year or so with good success. 

I missed taking pictures of all the in progress fun stuff because I was looking at the end of my daylight. Five fourteen and a half footers and a twelve and a half footer, two are probably not going to make grade.

And today after "work" the excitement of sketchy rigging and overloaded equipment.

Yup.  That's not going to work.   That was the first 14 footer.  One of the smaller ones.  So to move the center of gravity ahead a little I did this:

I'm definitely exceeding the capacity of my junk.

BargeMonkey

hey if it skids wood why not 👍.  Welding down at the shipyard ?

mike_belben

Are you sawing these or sellin em? 

Show em your firewood hauler
Praise The Lord

JesseA

Mike These are going to a local sawmill that makes pine trim board. The two culls will probably go get sawed for lumber for me.   
Barge Monkey I'm taking tests for Cianbro.  Going back to pipe welding & fitting.

thecfarm

Jeep wood hauler?  :D Looks short.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JesseA

It used to be a Suzuki samurai.  It's been upgraded with a bunch of domestic internals. 

samandothers

Welcome and Happy Birthday!

Looks like you are having fun!

Resonator

Looks like your machine is too light, add some weights to the front end. Better yet, build yourself a log arch with wheels. Some threads in saw milling with pictures of log arches. Good luck!
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Crusarius

If you run a chain to the bumper around the log you may be able to lift log then drive but with that amount of leverage up high you will never do anything other than wheelies. I have one of those cranes for my 3pt on the tractor. I found it can lift but until I chain the load to the drawbar I cannot drive forward.

mike_belben

he was trying to raise the log up for a trailer to back under, you can see it under the log in the pic with the double block redirect.

Jesse is a sharp dude, and that rig has pulled a lotta wood.  You guys would like his chevy
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

ahh in that case hook the chevy to the front of the sammi as a counterweight.

dustintheblood

Quote from: JesseA on January 30, 2018, 08:20:36 AM
It used to be a Suzuki samurai.  It's been upgraded with a bunch of domestic internals.

Needs a 50cal on the roof....  just sayin'
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

dsgsr

JesseA , Happy birthday. Looks like you are having fun. Gitter done with what ya got:)

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

firefighter ontheside

Looks like fun.  Tipping samurais!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

JesseA

This is what loading logs is supposed to look like

Trying to go up over the fenders is hard.  Probably trying to set it on the tail of the trailer and pushing it on is a better idea.  In any case that load scaled out to 805 bf. 

Pclem

I like the buggy 8) They sure don't seem to give away those samurai's. I'd like to have one
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

JesseA

I had a shell of a second one forever ago, knowing what I know now, I wish I'd kept it. They pop up on Craigslist from time to time.  It's definitely changed my perspective on what "little" pieces of equipment are capable of doing if you're prepared to do things differently.

luvmexfood

Quote from: JesseA on January 31, 2018, 03:25:38 PM
This is what loading logs is supposed to look like

Trying to go up over the fenders is hard.  Probably trying to set it on the tail of the trailer and pushing it on is a better idea.  In any case that load scaled out to 805 bf.
I have a HF 12,000 lb winch mounted on the tongue of my trailer. Put a log crossways behind it a little taller than the trailer. Set one end of log on it and you can pull anything up on it. Usually can go two high without much problem. Two ninety nine for the winch and another thirty for the wireless remote. Also pretty handy if you get something stuck. Got the tractor stuck one day and went and got the truck and trailer. Hooked winch to tractor and all I did was slide the truck and trailer with tractor in neutral. Got on the tractor and put it in gear, pushed the remote on the winch and it pulled me out with the tractor and winch both pulling.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

mike_belben

Quote from: JesseA on January 31, 2018, 08:07:05 PM
It's definitely changed my perspective on what "little" pieces of equipment are capable of doing if you're prepared to do things differently.

Definitely.  Its not so much the size, as it is the weight and hydraulic pressure. 
Praise The Lord

47sawdust

How do the Tracker's differ from the Suzuki's? The Samurai's are getting to be scarce and pricey.

Great rigs,Atv on steroid's.A good friend used one here to get to his skidder landing.It was like a billy goat,go anywhere if you're fearless.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Crusarius

trackers have IFS. takes more work to make a good rock crawler. But would work ok for around the farm just put a good set of tires on it and weld both diffs

mike_belben

If you cut the crap out of the fenders a tracker can do great with just a set of 31s or 33s as is.  He efi makes a big difference
Praise The Lord

JesseA

All trackers are fuel injected. Trackers are independed front suspension and coils in the front and rear.  The samurais are solid front axles and are on leaf springs all the way around.  The tracker front 3rd members will go into the samurai housings but the rear diffs are bigger. 
Transmissions and transfer cases are different. 

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Puffergas

Yes, that is a nice buggy!   ☺
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Thank You Sponsors!