iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Future Log Trailer - New WHOPPER Log PICS

Started by Kirk_Allen, October 03, 2005, 03:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Knowing you Kirk, there's no DanG way I'm gonna bet against ya! ;)

wiam

My trailer has MH axles.  I bought them from a local MH dealer.  The wheels and axles were not together.  Some of the tires say "for mobile home use only"  some do not .  Guess which ones I picked out.  I have seen "for mobile home use only" tires not last.  The ones I bought have been there for over a year and been overloaded at least once per trip.  They have lasted well.

Will

farmerdoug

Kirk, I do not see why your trailer will not work.  If you build it to handle the load then there should be no problems.  Farmers around here use MH frame trailers all the time to haul their big round bales of hay but most haul it with their tractors(ie slow).  I assume that you are working with Buzz on this and with Buzz's tendency to build for the worst condition possible that your trailer will probably perform wonderful but you may need a semi tractor to haul it though. :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Kirk_Allen

Plans are to haul it with my Grandfathers F600 grain truck.  Breaks should be fixed tomarrow if the creek dont rise ;D

sawguy21

That old 223 six is going to be stressed pulling that trailer ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kirk_Allen

When I am done the trailer is going to be around 30 feet long.  I need to be able to haul about 10 of the 38 foot white oaks I have and after that the trailer will be overkill for any future hauling but thats OK!  Those power line guys seem to have some pretty long FREE poles now and then and it will work great for that. 

That 223 will do just fine!  With the two speed differential I can put her in granny gear and go where ever I want!  The main project of getting these logs home wont be a problem since I am only going 6 miles on country roads! 

Murf

I wasn't tryin' ta hint that it wouldn't be built (re-built?) well.......   ::)

Especially if Buzz has his hand in it, I get the impression anything he builds is more than durable.  ;)

I was just pointin' out dat da days of runnin' stuff that haint got a certificate that says it complies with either the FMVSS or the CMVSS and a safety cert. sticker, it haint gonna go far down the road afore sombody sezs ta pull it over whiles they have a squint at it.  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Kirk_Allen

Well between the Paul Bunyian show Buzz and I managed to get A LOT done on the triailer.  He took a bunch of pics so I am sure when he gets home and recoops from some LONG days and NIGHTS, he will post our progress photos. 

Best guess is that it will COMFORTABLY haul 15,000 lbs of STUFF ;D

jokers

Quote from: Kirk Allen on October 09, 2005, 08:30:07 PM
Well between the Paul Bunyian show Buzz and I managed to get A LOT done on the triailer.  He took a bunch of pics so I am sure when he gets home and recoops from some LONG days and NIGHTS, he will post our progress photos. 

Best guess is that it will COMFORTABLY haul 15,000 lbs of STUFF ;D

Kirk,

Trailers for hauling 15k# of stuff usually have atleast tandem axles with duallies on each end, but often have three dually axles. I guess that you must have added some new axles since you took the original picture? Probably air brakes and a heavy duty pintle hitch too? :o

Russ

Frank_Pender

You had better keep that axe hidden, Kirk. ;D
Frank Pender

Kirk_Allen

Now Frank, if I didnt know better I would say you are on the war path :D :D

Just be patient.  Your axe is coming  ;D

Kirk_Allen

Can anyone tell me what the advantages or disadvantages on the direction you place decking on the trailer.  I plan on decking this trailer with Red Oak and am debating running it length ways or sideways.  I know most trailers have it ran the lenght of the trailer but was just curious if there are any disadvantages doing it across.

sawguy21

Lengthways would add strength to the trailer. especially on a long span. It is also a lot less cutting and waste.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Frank_Pender

I am not an engineer, but if you had 4 or 5 major stringers running the length of the trailer, I would suspect that there could also be additional strength added by running crossways on the trailer.   The same holds true in my thinking for running lengthwise.  Usually the majority of stringers run crossways on a trailer.  Just some random thoughts on a day without my used axe. :'(
Frank Pender

Gary_C

Kirk

It depends more on the type of frame under the decking and how you load the trailer. Most trailers have two main I-beams running the length of the trailer with some type of cross beams on top of the main I-beams with an outside frame with stake pockets. The spacing of the cross beams is usually 16-20 inches for support. The deck is then laid length ways and the joints are staggered. However this construction method will give you at least a 34 inch high deck.

If you go crossways directly on top of the main I-beams, you get a lower deck, but you need more support so you still must build a braced outside frame and other supports under the decking to reduce the span between the supports. The wheels will stick up above the deck.

So length ways will add some strength on a long trailer, but the decision is usually dictated by other factors.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Kirk_Allen

Buzz we need some pics! 

The original H-beams from the MH trailer are the outer beams.  We then placed two 6" x 1/4" I-Beams between the outer Beams.  From that we used 6"x1/4 C-channel as cross members between both the outer beams and the I-Beams.  Then on the outside of the H-beams there were those factory triangle braces.  We cut those down so that they only stuck out 7 inches from the H-Beam.  I am placing the same 6" 1/4" C-channel lenghtwise on those triangle braces so that the side of the trailer will have a clean surface to mount the anchor brackets for chains, hooks etc. 

I wll try to get some pics today.  Yesterday one of the local loggers stopped by and after looking at the trailer said he had a Bulldozer I could use to pull it :D

It is built STOUT and I am confident will hold the load I need to put on it.

I am contiplating placing the decking crossways directly on the steel. Some folks mentioned using stringers then decking on top of it.  Why use ANY stringers?

Hey Kevin, still waiting on the Log-Rite Blue specs so we can get this think painted.  With any luck I will be painting by Thursday.  8)

Frank_Pender

Kevin, make sure you send him the specs for the pink powder coating. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

OneWithWood

Kirk, why did you decide to go with red oak?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

OWW, he can't get the White Oak home to saw for the bed.  ;) :)

Kirk, every piece of wood that is run longways to the bed will add strength to the main beams. Cross pieces will not give rigidity like long pieces. Long pieces require less fasteners.  ;) ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Buzz-sawyer

i am with deadhead.....on going longwise i believe your strenght will be increased.and the job will be much quicker .......but man if you put full 2 inch oak on that....it will be a heavy dude :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kirk_Allen

Harold you hit the nail on the head.  The trailer is needed to bring the white oak home ;D

I could use Walnut? Or Cherry, but I dont think that stuff is as strong as the Oak.

I thought about using Osage but man, that adds A LOT of weight ;D

Tom

If it were mine, I would get some Pressure treated SYP.   Pine works good for carrying wheeled vehicles and loads of lumber.  It doesn't weigh too much and the pressure treating means that you don't have to replace it next year.

Kirk_Allen

The Treated SYP sounds great but that would mean I would have to BUY lumber.  I aint doing that in this small town.  30 foot long trailer, 8' 6" wide and 1 1/2" thick would be almost 400 BF of lumber.  COST PROHIBITIVE!   

Anyone where to get special metal fastners for anchoring decking to metal?  I think they make some that have the tip that drills the pilot hole in the metal then self taps until tight. 

Fla._Deadheader

Cross strips of flatbar. Bolt right through everything. Both ends and maybe twice in the middle. WHY ya deckin it ?????????  Logs won't fall through. If ya need a deck later, THEN add it. ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Kirk
Self-tapping screws source for me would be McMaster-Carr
McMaster  and search on 'self-tapping screws' .  They ship fast and have reasonable rates. Ordered by 4 pm and delivered UPS 11 am next day.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!