iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winter feeding of deer

Started by thecfarm, January 18, 2018, 08:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I feel whole corn just goes right through them, kinda like with us.
BUT reply #24 says it works. I have just never done it. Give it a try. The proof is in the droppings. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

has anyone been told that copper in some feed will kill the deer 

starmac

Anything is possible, but I have never heard of any feed for cattle or horses killing deer. There is or used to be some hog feed that iirc had arsenic in it that was harmful to horses, and maybe even cattle, it may not have been good for deer.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

thecfarm

We have a bag at work marked,NOT FOR SHEEP. No idea about deer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

It should be about the same digestive system I would think .The are a ruminant but according to what I read more goat like than sheep like .

Chuck White

Quote from: coxy on March 13, 2018, 08:08:52 AM
I know the copper in a bullet jacket will kill them!   :D :D :D  ;D ;D ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

straincm

Quote from: ToddsPoint on March 09, 2018, 05:28:24 AM
I end up with the muddy hole around my salt block.  I think what happens is the area around the block is muddy and each deer removes a bit of mud on their feet.  Over time, they remove enough soil to make a hole.  I know they are not digging because the mineral block is right there always.  Gary
The salt dissolves in the rain and is now in the dirt. The deer lick (eat) the dirt to get to the salt. I have had one in the same spot for 4 years now. The hole is getting pretty deep. Even when the block is "gone" they are still there licking the ground. Makes for some great game camera footage. Squirrels and raccoons visit as well.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Chuck White on March 14, 2018, 10:50:27 AM
I know the copper in a bullet jacket will kill them!   :D :D :D  ;D ;D ;D
:D :D :D You're killing ME!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

starmac

Naa, it is the lead inside of the copper jacket that does the killing. I know this cuz I build my own and don't have the makings to use copper, and everyone I have ask, claimed they were just as dead as the ones killed with the store bought copper wrapped ones. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Peter Drouin

Are they still around cfarm, I had some come by, But now he showed up.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Not so much through the day now. Seem like about 4pm when they come back. I went down into the woods tonight,8pm,and they was laying down waiting for me to feed them. Had about 13 in front of the house at 7:30 tonight. Still have a foot of snow in the woods. Yes,there are some bare spots. But have to remember I saw 40 deer here. Them small bare spots will not feed 40 deer for long. When the snow really goes,they will stop coming. No bears yet. Most times they hit my suet feeder and I know they are back. I saw a wood chunk out about 20 minutes from here.
Stepson said,yea,40 here now,come November zero. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!