iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Benefits of joining NHLA?

Started by Curlywoods, January 07, 2005, 07:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curlywoods

I am considering joining the NHLA and was wondering what if any of the real benefits might be for a small hardwood lumber business?  Anyone else a member of the NHLA?
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

OneWithWood

I joind the IHLA (Indiana Hardwood Lumbermen's Assoc) which I think is associated with the NHLA.  The big up front advantage was the discount for the cutter and sustainablitiy classes that exceeded the annual dues.  The other advantage is they are an advocacy group with the state legislature.  Is there a THLA that might suit you better?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Curlywoods

Maybe for Mesquite   :D  We don't have many sustainable hardwoods here in Texas that I know of to be honest.  Lots of Pine for the papermills in East Texas, but not a big hardwood forests.

I was just curious what the benefits might be to a business of my type (wholesale/retail).  It is a pretty fair penny to join annually ($735.00 for "Active" status).  
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

MemphisLogger

Mike, is that a flat rate or is it somehow adjusted to your annual sales?
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Buzz-sawyer

Curly you posted your own answer "Status" :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Curlywoods

"STATUS"   :D :D :D :D :D

I figured so much, especially for a company of my size!

Urban it is based upon annual sales .  The rate that I quoted was for sales up to $1.5 million annually(base rate).  Maybe by 2112 I will be in that neighborhood of total sales  :D :D
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

MemphisLogger

That's what I thought, Mike.

That also brings up a problem, in my mind, with their being involved in forest policy advocacy.

It used to be (up 'til the late 80s, I believe) that membership was a flat rate. Hence, their budget for advocacy activities came from the full spectrum of folks in the hardwood business.

Since they went to the sales-based dues, their advocacy budget essentially comes from the big dogs. Often, the policies desired by the big dogs don't jibe with the smaller outfits best interests.

For example, here in TN, NHLA has spent considerable time and money personally defaming and otherwise attacking or opposing the efforts of local organizations that support and promote sustainable, localized forest products economies and oppose hardwood whole log or chip exporting.

Even though protecting a few big dogs' interests in low-to-no-value-added exports is contrary to the interests of many smaller mills and job-providing value-adding processors, the big dogs' policy is put forth since they're the ones paying.

That said, if you want to learn about grading or drying, they're the best source of instruction.  
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

inspectorwoody

Curleywoods

I think there is a organization in Texas for the softwood side of things. I checked into it awhile back when I thought about moving down there. Do a search and see what ya come up with.

Frank_Pender

I would just about believe that if the smaller fellas like most of us on the FF got together we could desigh our own group for your needs and that those of the bigger players.  I have found that they are the main driving force for all of the wants and need I have been trying to deal with the last few years; from grading to marketing.  They control the controlers and the associations bye establishing the dues structures in such a way we cannot begin to see any value in joining and group to make it finacially worth the investment.  $700 + dollars a years is more that $2 a day.  I question the value to myself.  I have done some extensive research into becoming a full member or an associate in the Northwest Lumber Dealers Association.   Not viable for a one man show in my estamation. :'(
Frank Pender

Ga_Boy

I have been reading this post and it occured to me:

Why don'twe establish our own Grading Rules and Standards that apply to the market we are servicing?

My markets are:

1) Hobbyist
2) Custom Home Builder
3) Professional Cabinet Maker
4) Artisin

My markets needs are very diffrent than those of the large whoslaers/retailers that make up the NHLA groups market.

So what do you think; lets form our own Association???

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

OneWithWood

Wow.  Sure am glad I have access to the much smaller and more humble IHLA.  Dues are only $50 a year for the small operator.  Look around, I am sure Texas will have something similar.  Maybe not hardwood based but certainly lumber market and maybe even specialty markets oriented.
Good luck.  Sometimes it pays to live in a small backwater state :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Cedarman

There are several other organizations that you might think about.  In Indiana, there is Indiana Forest and Woodland Owners Assoc., Treefarmer, Walnut Growers Assoc. etc.  Each has small dues and are very happy to have people involved that are small scale.  Some have PAC committees.
They work with IHLA when interests are in common and voice objections when there is conflict.

My gut feeling is that manufacturers want to keep timber prices low, while growers want to keep prices high.

A common ground, though, is a push to have a right to practice forestry law, so that we are not burdened with onerous zoning laws.

One of the best things to do is to get to know your legislators.
Write them a note.  Visit them. Let them know your concerns and how they can help. Be sure to have your concerns in order and what you would like them to do. Environmentalists go to them and tell them they do not want trees cut and why. We need to let them know that trees are growing like crazy, are a renewable resource and provide great gains for our economy when used wisely.

Most states have some group that could advance your desires.  Join and become active. Look how enjoyable it is to be active here on the FF and how many nice people you meet.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!