iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strange looking WO

Started by WH_Conley, November 29, 2004, 09:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

I have one white oak that I have not seen another like it. Got bumps and limbs. No, honest I have not been drinking.
The tree seems to be in good health, approximately 3 ft diameter, but it has swells on from top to bottom, no limbs but the swells has small limbs, about the size we were familiar with as children when we got caught at something. Strange looking. It is out in the middle of a woodlot, not exposed to any more sun than the other trees around it. One question before I grab the chainsaw, could this indicate any kind of special figuring or would it be some fluke bacteria or disease. I have lived on this place 8 years, the tree seems to do fine every year. Can't send picture, haven't figured the camera yet
Bill

Ron Wenrich

It sounds like catfaces to me.  There can be a lot of catfaces under the bark of white oak.  Sometimes they send out shoots, but usually there is some sort of sunlight involved or there is major stress.  It could be drought, or the tree is just getting ready to cash it in.  

All those catfaces are considered as defect for graded lumber.  They should be tight, and would yield interesting paneling.

There is an outside chance that its curly, but I wouldn't bank on it, especially with your description.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

A picture would be very telling and very interesting. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WH_Conley

Jeff, I'll try the picture thing tommrrow, might have to get you to give me alttle help.
Bill

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WH_Conley

With all this rain looks like spring before I can get back over to it, creek up about 8 feet this morning. Guess I should have waited and got pics before starting this thread. Sorry for the trouble guys, Thanks.
Bill

Ron Wenrich

Well, you can either use a telephoto lens or wait until the river freezes.   ;)

We'll be here when you get it taken.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

CHARLIE

Don't forget the woodturning market. Well figured wood is sought after by woodturners because it makes beautiful bowls, vessels, etc.  If the wood is well figured, you could cut it up into bowl blanks and sell individually. You can even take small chunks of figured wood and cut to size for pen blanks, bottlestopper blanks, etc.  Just be sure to seal the wood well so it doesn't crack.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ironwood

W-H Conley, In my experience the oaks tend not to burl with quality. It is typically a shallow dish type graining that tends to flake out in thin structurally unsound way, having said that I did have one salvagable burl but it took gallons of epoxy to stabilize the dormant bud pockets. So don't get your hopes up as to what may lie with in. Reid :-[ :-[ :-[ :'(
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!