iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ponderosa Pine in Timber Framing

Started by mspeed, March 21, 2018, 08:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mspeed

My husband and I are new to sawing. We recently purchased a Timberking 1220 bandsaw mill and are developing an interest in building a Timber Frame structure. We are in Eastern Washington and are surrounded by Ponderosa Pine. I'm curious of the appropriateness of using Ponderosa Pine for a TF structure.

flyingparks

Ponderosa has good compressive strength. Not the best bending strength. Good for posts. Not the best for horizontal members.That's not to say they couldn't be used in that application. I built a little shed completely out of ponderosa and it's still standing proud...but it's a little shed. I would question any significant span and perhaps get the advice of an engineer. 

Dave Shepard

It's ot to be stronger than Eastern White, and you can build anything with EWP, just make the section big enough. Welcome to the Forum.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

starmac

There is a sight you might find useful, it is the wood database. You can compare the ponderosa to about any tree you can think of.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Dakota

I built my frame out of ponderosa.  I just made sure that my spans were under 16'.  It's great wood to work with.

</br></br>
Dave Rinker

mspeed

Dakota- Did you mill your timbers yourself? If so, did you Box the heart? Did you have much issue with twisting?

Dakota

Yes, I milled my own timbers.  I boxed the heart on all of them.  I had only one twist a little bit on me.  It was a 24 ft. tie beam, so I had to scramble a bit on that one, but it wasn't bad.

Dave Rinker

flyingparks

Quote from: Dakota on March 22, 2018, 08:32:30 AM
I built my frame out of ponderosa.  I just made sure that my spans were under 16'.  It's great wood to work with.

That is a wonderful frame!

Dakota

Thank you.  It's a tad overbuilt, but we get a lot of snow.
Dave Rinker

mspeed

Dakota- Can I ask where you are located?

Dakota

Deadwood/Lead, SD are the closest towns.  My place is 16 mi. south of Deadwood on Hwy 85, and about 3 miles off the road.
Dave Rinker

Thank You Sponsors!