iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie to forum has questions.

Started by masonjar, November 19, 2007, 03:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonjar

I have been looking around lately more and more on the boards reading as much information as I can. I know that the only real experience I can get is by doing the work first hand but I'm hoping this will give me a heads up on my future projects as to what to look for. I have worked in carpentry for some years but nothing like timber framing to be exact. I have been intrigued for as long as I can remember by the designs and the actual look of the structures themselves. Recently I decided that I wanted to build my home instead of pay someone to do it for me. I guess I'm more hands on than hands off. One reason I choose this is because I don't think I would be happy with the craftsmanship of some people because they only do things half way.

There is a couple of reason I'm writing on here. I am interested in designing my home because I don't want it to be like a "cookie cutter" home and be like everyone else's. I have read a few different timber frame books and at this point do understand the importance of getting the correct dimensions of the timbers. I have read about the math equations that determine the correct dimensions and in some instances I have calculated dimensions for practice. One big question I have is how I determine for sure that this will work? From your alls experience should I draw out my plans and get them worked over by an "engineer"? Or is it better to get an outside contractor to design my plans for me with my ideas of what I want in a home?

I have been looking online for timber frame plans for some time now. I do this for examples of the architecture that I would like incorporate in my plans. To this point I have not found many ideas that I am attracted to. I see ideas and I can draw them yes but I just haven't found a plethora of examples. Do any of you have any suggestions for some websites I may have not looked at yet?

Also, another question, I have seen on a couple of these pages where people are including a drawing in their post of the beams and plans. They look to be 3D. What programs are available out there that are good for this. I have had no luck finding any programs that do such things as this. I use AutoCAD from time to time and it has a different look than what is posted on here. Any suggestions????

Some of my questions may be covered on other pages, I have done nothing but read on here lately and I might have missed my answer somewhere. Thanks for any help anyone can give and any suggestions are appreciated. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I dive in over my head. I know I'm going over my head to some extent but I guess it's going to happen sooner or later.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the forum! I think it is a great idea to build your own home. If you are already a carpenter, making the switch to timber should be fairly easy. I am guessing at some point you will have to have an architect or engineer stamp your plans, but that may depend on your location. I am sure others will be along to steer you in that regards. Many people here are using Sketchup, a downloadable design program. What books have you read so far?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

masonjar

At some point I will need to have an architects stamp of approval. Currently im in Kentucky but my building site is in Virginia. I am required to have my plans review by and engineer or architect by the county.

At this point i have read from:

A Timber Framer's Workshop: Joinery, Design & Construction of Traditional Timber Frames by Steve K. Chappell

Building the Timber Frame House by Tedd Benson 

Timber Frame Construction: All About Post and Beam Building by Jack A. Sobon and Roger Schroeder

Timberframe: The Art and Craft of the Post-and-Beam Home by Tedd Benson and Norm Abram

Do you know of some other good reading resources about TF's?

Dave Shepard

I am sure there are some other good books on the subect, but you already have some very good books. I would suggest you add Jack Sobons "Build a Classic Timber-Framed House" It details the complete process of cutting an 18'x36' hall and parlor colonial house. It will give you a good basic plan that can be adjusted for different dimensions, or styles. Do you already have a plan in mind, i.e. a colonial, cape, or saltbox? Do you have your timber framing tools picked out yet? I use traditional antique hand tools, but many people use a combination of old and new (power) tools. If you have the time, I would suggest a week long workshop. I took one last year, and can highly recomend it.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

I don't know of any workshops down your way, maybe some of our other members can recommend one. If you like to travel, there are several different workshops here in the Berkshire's (Western MA). You will obviously need a few of the old style tools to do timber framing, like framing chisels and a slick. The old ones are better in my opinion, and can be had cheaper than buying the new ones.  A good hand saw will be a necessity. I like the Stanley "Sharptooth" saw, it has a Japanese style tooth. Some people also like the Japanese pull type saws too. You will also need to have a sharpening setup, or have someone that can do it for you. Jack's books have sections on sharpening, a dull tool will really discourage you. A good first project might be a pair of trestles, or "sawponies" as they are sometimes called. This will give you a chance to make a few mortise and tenon joints without burning up too much timber, and then you will have the trestles for working on bigger timbers. These are just a few of the ideas that have occured to me. I am sure some of our more experienced members will have some other ideas for new framers.

Dave

Jim_Rogers

Welcome to the forum.
If you have some designs done on paper or in your computer, I'd be happy to review them for you.
If you can email them to me it would be great.
If they are hand drawn take a picture and email the picture....
I agree to get Jack's book, build a classic timber frame house.....
The second chapter is about how to design a house based on the site and which way it should sit and such.... great way to start...
Once you have a frame design done then we can help you find a local engineer who has experience in timber framing designs and he can help you get your plans approved...

The software I use isn't free or cheap, but it does the best job I've seen.
People seem to like SketchUp but it has it's limitations.....

Oh, yea keep asking questions.....
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Also, I posted my "book list" here somewhere.
If you do a search you should be able to find it,,,, if not I'll find it and move it to the top....

Jim Rogers

masonjar

Thanks Dave for the suggestions. I will definately be looking into the details on a workshop. Distance doesn't matter, I like to travel.

Jim, when i get all my ideas together i will definately get back to you on the plans. I guess the biggest problem I can see for me at this point in the design is timber sizing and joinery. Well that is what i think my biggest problem to date is. I know I may be jumping the gun without having taken a workshop but like to invision things in my head.  I'll look for your book list, thanks Jim.

Jim_Rogers

On the site where the program "BeamChek" is sold is a publications page....
On that page: "http://www.beamchek.com/loadbook/startbook.html is a beginners guide in pdf format that you can download for free....
This guide will help you to learn load paths and how to figure out how much load a single beam, like a floor joist, or rafter, is holding up....
Once you understand the principals of loads you can begin to use DonP's calculators in the red tool box on the side of this forum.
He has a nice beam sizing calculator there that works good if not better than BeamChek.....

Download that guide and read it......

Jim Rogers

masonjar

Thanks again. I probably ask questions that were already answered somewhere else but thanks anyways. I'll take a closer look at everything and probably in the future have more questions.

thanks again
Jeff

Raphael

Since you have access to AutoCAD there is a free front end called TimberCAD available.
I'll have to look around when I get home, but I'm pretty sure you can find it through the guilds website http://www.tfguild.org/
  I know there is some older discussion of it on the BBS there.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

witterbound

I did a two month apprenticeship two summers ago in Frankin NC.  It's a big commitment of time, but you'll be exposed to a lot more in two months than you will in a week.  You're basically trading your unskilled labor for an education.  If you can spare the time, I'd highly recommend it.

Thank You Sponsors!