iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Bandsaw Blades

Started by Papa Dave, December 10, 2001, 11:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa Dave

As most of you know, I am not sawing full time, but am a wood worker that enjoys having fun on a limited basis.

With my new custom mill, I have only used three blades which are from Simonds.  They did fine, I guess.  Since I do not have much experience, I really do not have anything to compare with.

So, my question is, Does anyone have a recommendation for a bandsaw blade or are the ones  I am using ok? ::)

Jeff

If you was runnin a cirlcle mill I would tell you don't use anything BUT Simonds. Tried the others, no comparison. Sorry, That didnt help one little bit ::)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I have a mill with a 13' 2" band and have found Simonds 1/14 Red streak with 7/8's pitch to be economical and provide good service.  Other bands I've tried became too pricey without providing better service. Some just won't cut.  

So....I decided to approach it from the standpoint of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Kevin

I`ve been using Wood-Mizer bands and I`m happy with them, the first batch will go back to Wood-Mizer for resharpening.

Jeff

Does Woodmizer manufacture thier own blades? Or are they Woodmizer blades because Woodmizer sells em?

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer has always bragged about being the only mill manufacture that manufactures their own blades.  Something like 5,000,000 feet per year.  I think it's a major part of their business.

http://www.woodmizer.com/domino/html/blades/WWWBlades.nsf

They also make blades of different length for other mills. Even Blue ones. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

LeeB

Email Woodmizer and tell them what yooou are sawing and what lnght blade you are using. They will send you a free sample. You can get the email adress at  WWW.Woodmizer.com. Don't know about thier blades yet. Am waiting for mine to get here. Going to try their DOUBLE HARD blades to see if I can do any better sawing liveoak. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bibbyman

Randy Panko is THE blade man at Wood-Mizer.  I think he made a general offer over on the "other" forum to send a free DoubleHard blade to those who wanted to try one.

His e-mail address is:  rpanko@woodmizer.com
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Hey Bib why don't you invite him over from the "other" forum to "thee" forum :D

Bibbyman

.......Oh-Ta! Master B.   Consider it done! 8)[/color]

Hay!  Now I got three trees.  They grow fastern' I can cut them down!  :o
Sawing since '94

Kevin

Bib,

We can`t let him get away with that.
UP THE ANTE !
Tell him Jeff is giving away bandmills for people to try.

Jeff

Yeppir alls they got to do is go to Sault Canada and look for the guy sitting on a strange lookin toilet full of ice cubes and take it from him.

Randy

Interesting forum with amazing participants!

It's been over 20 years since Wood-Mizer developed its first sawmill with a 14 hp gas engine and narrow 1.25" blade.  Our mills became popular almost immediately, and almost as quickly we discovered that we needed better blades.  We evaluated the materials and processes used to make other blades and decided to take a different path.

We use a higher quality, low carbon steel that typically can be sharpened again and again. Then a couple of years ago we started induction hardening the teeth.  This made the teeth harder and provided more wear characteristics.  Since the body of the blades was hardened at the steelmill to our specification and then hardened again by us, we call these bands the "DoubleHard" blades.  These blades are available in a wide range of thicknesses, widths, and profiles.  We should have a blade for most sawing conditions.

Papa Dave

Randy, I sent you an e-mail inquiring about woodmizer blades and cost and such.  But have not received a reply.  I wondered if you did not receive my e-mail for some reason. I would be interested in trying one. 8)

Kevin

Randy,
Is there any substantial savings when buying a box of say ten to fifteen bands from Wood-Mizer?

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum Randy!  

Looks like you've already attracted some questions.

Maybe we need a new folder on the topic of blades?  :P

While Randy is the BladeMaster at Wood-Mizer,  he also knows everything about the mills too.  (Well, at least orange ones. :D)
Sawing since '94

Frank_Pender

Mobile Dimesnions Sawmills are ORange also!   How about them apples, Randy?   :D :D :D
Frank Pender

Jeff

So are Forestall, CMC technologies and Morbark. Orange must be the mark of a fine sawmill.  Can't speak for mobile dementia (Fruedian slip) never heard of one before Timberbeast!

Papa Dave

Don P

Jeff

What the heck is red other then Kevin after trying to unwinding his first woodmizer band?

Don P

My Timberking! oh and matching Massey Fergie :D

Randy

You guys are too much.  But a little(or a lot) of laughter helps us get through these rainy days!

My mill used to be orange.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to park it in a covered barn or shed and the weather has turned it to a lighter shade of orange and some brown mixed in.

By the way, it doesn't matter what color your machine is I'd be happy to help whomever.

I have a mill/friend in Arkansas and every WM he's owned ended up being Blue Sky before he was done with it.

Papa, let me check your order.  I'm a little behind on e-mails.

Randy

Papa Dave

Thanks Randy, just wanted to make sure you got the e-mail.  

My mill is custom built by me and it works quite well and it is real Ford Tractor RED.  I just love it. 8) 8) 8)

Bibbyman

I've found that AGCO-ALLIS Orange matches Wood-Mizer paint real well.

8)
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!