iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Router sled for surfacing slabs

Started by Crusarius, February 06, 2019, 01:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

Around here, the McDonalds also have free wi-fi, although it isn't as quick as the library and it bombards you with ads.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Crusarius

the nearest mcdonalds to me is 30 minutes. I am pretty sure the public library is on the same crappy frontier service I am on.

I live in the middle of nowhere. It takes a while to get to everywhere.

xlogger

I have Frontier also, just lucky now I can get on. They suppose to come out tomorrow for repairing. I hate them also, they have to come out way to often.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Crusarius

they offered me 3 upgrade packages. and each one requires a new junction box to be installed down the road cause the box is maxed out. Each package would have been cheaper than what I am paying now but they still couldn't just give me the price even though they can't give me the service.

crock of poopy. They keep selling me pkg's that I can't get. The service is spotty at best. I hate frontier.

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on February 19, 2019, 07:25:29 PM
they offered me 3 upgrade packages. and each one requires a new junction box to be installed down the road cause the box is maxed out. Each package would have been cheaper than what I am paying now but they still couldn't just give me the price even though they can't give me the service.

crock of poopy. They keep selling me pkg's that I can't get. The service is spotty at best. I hate frontier.
what about cellular service? which cell provider offers service in your area? do they offer a plan for hot spotting? we were working a fire in napa valley 2 yrs ago and the fire had burned the at&t towers down, but verizon towers were up and running. luckily, i buy my phone out right from apple, and always get the unlocked phones. i went to verizon and after a few of arguing with the guy, he learned something new, that an unlocked, using at&t would also run a verizon sim card. i purchased a 10 gb data plan for around $60 a month, which lasted me over a month, but bc i didn't reload the plan, i lost 3 gb of data usage. basically what I'm saying is, see if a cell provider has a plan that you can buy a data plan, and hotspot to your computer and use the cell service to upload. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Crusarius

Charles, great idea. but the cell service is worse than the DSL. I have verizon, it is the only one that works there. and the service is spotty at best. They continue to "upgrade" the infrastructure around me. It seems that everytime they "upgrade" something my service gets worse. I am pretty sure its a planned obsolescence program... Especially since I used to have pretty good coverage at the house.

DWyatt

I feel all your pain with the internet service, we have a Verizon hot spot. It's our only option other than some kind of satellite service and I know better than to ever try that. I listened to Dad complain about the service and Mom complain about the bill for too long :D

On a different note, I surfaced the other side of the slab yesterday evening. I had to take about 5/8" off to get it flat. I did so in 3 passed (1/4", 1/4", 1/8") I used the method Crusarius talked about, taking a cut then backing off ~1/4" on the return. Much nicer surface! Now after spending some personal time with this unit, I would never consider it a primary tool in the shop but it will definitely be a nice one to have in the arsenal.

Here's a picture of the slab, almost no marks from the router. This thing is purdy  8)

Crusarius

That came out great. I am glad to know that my technique worked. I have only tried it on spruce. Was that sanded at all? that is ash right?

tawilson

Quote from: DWyatt on February 20, 2019, 07:28:31 AM
I feel all your pain with the internet service, we have a Verizon hot spot. It's our only option other than some kind of satellite service and I know better than to ever try that. I listened to Dad complain about the service and Mom complain about the bill for too long :D

On a different note, I surfaced the other side of the slab yesterday evening. I had to take about 5/8" off to get it flat. I did so in 3 passed (1/4", 1/4", 1/8") I used the method Crusarius talked about, taking a cut then backing off ~1/4" on the return. Much nicer surface! Now after spending some personal time with this unit, I would never consider it a primary tool in the shop but it will definitely be a nice one to have in the arsenal.

Here's a picture of the slab, almost no marks from the router. This thing is purdy  8)

I had a Verizon hotspot device and wasn't happy with it so swapped it in for a Mifi which replaces a landline with cell. It got a much better signal than the hotspot . I now have Spectrum internet but kept the Mifis because I can put them anywhere with power and connect a surveillance system and access the cameras on the internet. Verizon seemed like they didn't want to push the Mifis but they were much better than the hotspot.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

DWyatt

Quote from: Crusarius on February 20, 2019, 07:32:11 AM
That came out great. I am glad to know that my technique worked. I have only tried it on spruce. Was that sanded at all? that is ash right?
That is not sanded at all, I blew the dust off and snapped a picture. It is white oak. Cut about a year ago and dried in the kiln about a month ago. The areas where the branches are "braided" together was Hard! The 1 3/4 hp router didn't like taking 1/4" bites at 3/4" wide through those parts.

DWyatt

Quote from: tule peak timber on February 13, 2019, 12:35:20 PM
The insert cutterhead that is in the current version of the surfacer I'm working on.

Are you running that Amana surfacing bit on a variable speed router? I looked it up and they say 18,000 max RPMs and the router I have is running at 27,500 RPM. I'm not sure of the implications if you run a bit like that too fast other than my mind tells me it could be bad.

Crusarius

typically if you spin them to fast they have a tendency to come apart. It could be very bad :)

I would be mostly concerned about the carbide inserts breaking and turning into projectiles.

doc henderson

I agree, it may also be hard on your router.  may bend or break the shaft.  may just make more heat.  I have a big PC plunge with variable speed, but they make pedal switches that are also variable speed.  at that diameter, the cutters are traveling fast on the outer edge.  looks great.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DWyatt

That was my thought. Nothing would be better than taking a chunk of carbide in the gut.

Crusarius

Done that plenty of times with wire brush pieces :) 12000 rpm's kinda hurt

tule peak timber

Yes on the variable speed, large motor.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mike_belben

Awesome work but probably oughta put that router on a speed controller before you grenade something and get a not so free ambalamps ride.
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

I don't think that is going to be a problem since it is a router bit. its reasonably high quality for the price I paid.

Besides I am member of the VFD I get free rides :)

mike_belben

Well a variable frequency drive beats calling the volunteer fire department in this case.  If were comparing VFDs   ;D
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

sam-tip

My plan is to use a 9 inch insert planner blade on the swingblade/slabber mill.  Will need to adjust the blade offset so the blade is flat.  35 hp should make quick work of the slabs.  I have a garage and barn full of slabs.  Then use the sanding pad to finish the wood off.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

Crusarius

That would definitely be pretty slick. And make short work of it. It doesn't really take all that long with my setup but could definitely be faster.

aigheadish

Thanks for this thread! Lots of good info as I've contemplated building a router sled for a while now. 

@Crusarius Your sled looks smooth as butter, well done!

@doc henderson Your version looks more my speed and budget

@tule peak timber That setup and slab are incredible!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

great.  I made it and used it the same day.  let me know if you need more details.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

I will, thanks! I've likely got a ways until I've got a slab I like enough to actually use, but maybe that's an excuse to practice on stuff I don't like that much...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!