iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Staying Fixed

Started by Magicman, January 08, 2014, 08:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I am thinking the heads should be able to pushed by hand and coast to a stop, this is how mine is as well.
By coasting I mean just a few inches,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on January 09, 2014, 05:05:44 PM
Quote from: Magicman on January 09, 2014, 09:06:34 AM
...When you release the drum switch a shunt is placed across the powerfeed motor providing instant electromagnetic braking.

My LT40 does not do that.  It just coasts to a stop in both directions.  Maybe something wrong?

Nothings wrong.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jim H

When I replaced my drum switch the contacts for the shunt didn't touch and the head would coast quite a bit. I squeezed the contacts in and it cut down on the extra movement.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Magicman

Bob, the WM traveling service guy routinely removes one wire from my power feed motor so that he can more easily move the sawmill head.   Yes, it can be moved without doing this, but it is a strain. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on January 11, 2014, 02:45:42 PM
Bob, the WM traveling service guy routinely removes one wire from my power feed motor so that he can more easily move the sawmill head.   Yes, it can be moved without doing this, but it is a strain.

I didn't know that Lynn.  Thanks for posting!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

Quote from: Magicman on January 11, 2014, 02:45:42 PM

???  Maybe a difference in wiring between the older and newer mills?  My LT50 is an '08.  I don't need to do that.  In fact, if the mill is on a bit of a slope the head wants to coast on it's own.  Or maybe there's something wrong with my mill?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

Maybe you need to get fixed, too :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

My mill, being a vintage '93 does not have that type of gearing, it is a belt on pully system. I have a seat for mine but found it so uncomfortable to reach down for the hydraulics that I simple chose not to use it and walk along side of it.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jcbrotz

Mine is a 04 and it is not wired like Magicmans, I recently replaced the control board and diode and went thru the wiring pretty good, so I feel pretty confident saying its right to not ramp to stop but coast to stop. I would however like to know how many would do it my guess would be just supers as they have much larger drive motors that can withstand that the smaller ones like mine would not like it for long.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

arkansas

Guys. Been looking at the orig. Pics mine has a 1.5" cam follower for idle sprocket.  Is this right or as someone done some changing that needs correcting?
Working on a hot LT40HD for now

Magicman

What does your parts manual show?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

arkansas

Got on Wm site and got logged in.  It does indeed have the same cam follower as carriage rides on.  Just didn't think to go look.
Working on a hot LT40HD for now

Magicman

It is really not surprising because WM is continually making improvements.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!