iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does a poacher **** in the woods?

Started by LeeB, November 28, 2010, 11:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Quote from: Patty on December 03, 2010, 08:46:52 AM
I am of the belief that the more folks who know that a couple of crazy old farts who shoot guns lives down our road, the better!!

That's pretty much the way I have handled the situation.  I have made it a point to be seen with a .45 on my hip, and to be outside at strange hours.  Sure people think I'm wierd, but that's what I want.  People tend to be afraid to mess with wierd folks. ;D  It doesn't hurt to put a couple of rounds into a tree stump occasionally, either, most especially at night.  The neighbors all know what I'm doing, so it doesn't alarm them, but it does alarm the dipsticks that like to make drug deals at the bottom of the hill.  A Q-beam on them seems disturbing to them as well.  There's all sorts of ways to scare them off without actually firing in their direction.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

indiaxman1

Tresspassers are discouraged by gunfire......my place is at the end of a dead end 1/2 mile gravel road...any late night travelers will be greeted with 20 gauge...just the sound in this holler reverberates like a howitzer....I learned the hard way after being broken in back in 80'.....I help lost hikers/hunters...but draw lines when needed....old TR Roosevelt said best.."speak softly, but carry a big stick"..or shotgun...happy holidays fellow woodsmen :)

beenthere

Lost hunters/hikers are not trespassers?  At what point do you recognize which is which, and when the big gun comes out?   ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tim L

We shoot often on our property and my son brings his buddies over to shoot also.I figure it as a deterrent to undesirables. Like Dang I walk around with my Glock on my belt.
Do the best you can and don't look back

ely

i have a turkish 98 mauser, 8mm. and to say it is loud is an understatement. on a clear cold nite you can hear it rolling like thunder thru the area. even stops the yotes from howling.

indiaxman1

Lost folks generally just want to find their way out.....have no malice/intent.....as stated prior, some would take advantage of a situation....so no, you don't need to be a wild eyed outlaw yourself....just a good judge of character...and now for a literary suggestion...the book "Trail Safe...Averting Threatening Human Behavior in the Outdoors"..by Michael Bane....he covers a lot of situations...most of all just use some common sense....check it out

ihookem

Forget no trespassing signs. I know of another sign that works much better. It reads " if I find you here tonight they will find you here in the morning" Saw it in a junk yard once. I hate to say it but it is only going to get worse with the hand slapping judges out there. The day will come when we have to take the law in our own hands or submit to thieves and poachers.

Woodwalker

A small sign a couple hundred feet inside the gate reads
                NOTICE
If you are reading this be aware that;
You have set off an alarm.
Your picture has been taken.
You are in range.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

H60 Hawk Pilot

Well this Post Took Off a Bit, So Here's My Slant and Personal Experience (don't need a reply, it's all free to anybody).

I nearly shot a man when I was 14... all by dumb accident. We had a little shooting area that was right behind our house that was up against the hill side. My dad had shot there for years and we had lot's of fun and right out the back door of our farm house.

It was on a Saturday and I had set cans up on fence post's that were up against the hill. I was hitting them with my 22 rifle. I had a 2 boxes of 22 shells and having lot's of fun hitting the cans. I had been shooting for about a 3/4 of an hour and saw Mr. Binkley come driving up in his car. He was pretty mad and asked it I knew what I was doing ?  I said, ya, just shooting some cans. Mr. Binkley said, I can see that and the bullets are hiting in the tree's by my cottage.  I was shook.. when he told me this; I told him that I had No Idea that this was happening. He left in a huff and I thought about everything and how I could have killed or injured someone.  The 22 bullets had the perfect arc to fly over this little hill and come down at his cottage 1/2 mile away. I remember that it say's, range one mile on the 22 shells. This was a Lesson I Never Forgot ! ! !

Regarding the Poacher Issue, I just had my garage broke into and thousand's of dollars of tools taken in PA.  I'm very angry and if I was there at the time, my gun would have come out to defend what is mine. I believe that if you come in my house and building's... you are in a high risk area to your welfare (because you threaten my life).

Returning fire to the area that is suspected to have poacher's in it... is another thing. Someone said, that once the word or the bullet comes out, it's too late to pull it back, I buy that 100%. Killing or Injuring someone by random fire is Not a Good Thing to live with and would haunt you to the end of your life. Taking someone's life and seeing the end result's of death is Not a Good Thing. Trust Me, Killing or causing Serious Injury to Someone is Your Last Day of Life (except in personal defense).... the Good Life that You (once) Enjoyed is Over (forever) !  

Once You've Crossed this (taken life) Bridge, it's like digging a hole and climbing in, you'll (most people) live a living hell !  Some folks here on the FF have taken life and pulled the trigger or directed guns or rocket's to kill and this was your (military) mission. However, after time has gone by... it's still never quite right and everyone has their own personal demon's inside & haunting memories.... it's all part of killing guilt and much more.    

I need no reply, just sharing information for anyone to use. TV & Movie's Glamorize it, most that have (killing)... Despise It !

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Thank You Sponsors!