iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just Lucky

Started by jdtuttle, November 18, 2008, 08:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtuttle

Hope it works this time!
Went deer hunting & came home with a bear. 32 yds with bow double lung shot. She went 50yds. Dressed out at 330lbs. Right place right time. An old hunter once told me.
"You'll know it was meant to be when they come in & you take em home"
Jim
Have a great day

Roxie

Wow!!  Jeff is gonna be green with envy!   :o
Say when

Norm

Wow, nice bear Jim!

Now excuse my ignorance since we have no bear in Iowa to speak of. Is the meat worth eating, and do you have the pelt tanned?

Warbird

Very nice!  Do you plan to save the skin?  I would really like to have a bearskin with the skull, claws, and all.  Costs a good deal to have it done right, though.

Norm, most folks don't like bear meat but cooked properly, it is edible.  Cooked right, it can even be good.  A lot of the flavor depends on the bear itself.  Up here, "berry bears" are sought after.  The bears who spend most of their time eating berries apparently have a much sweeter taste, as opposed to the bears who eat nothing but roots, salmon, and the like.

jdtuttle

I haven't eaten any yet. But I'll let you know. I printed out several recipes & will try it in a week or two. I'm having a shoulder mount done & they wanted $100 square ft to tan so I didn't keep the rest. Keeping the claws though.
Jim
Have a great day

isawlogs

Norm , I dont want to answer for Jim , but I like the meat , if prepared right ,are is delicious , lip slappin' good. That hide would make a fine rug . Jim How wide was the head on her , great looking bear , and yes not only Jeff could envy that bear .  ;) 8) 8) 8)

Jim wrote same time as me , it takes too long to rewrite  ::) :-\ :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jdtuttle

The taxidermist sends the skull to DEC (Department of Enviromental Conservation) They measure the skull and take the milk teeth for aging & return it with the information. I'll let you know when I get her back.
Jim
Have a great day

thecfarm

Just lucky,yea right.Takes no skill at all to shoot a bear with a bow.  :D  I had bear meat once.Some guy at work brought it in for a Christmas party.I liked it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SAW MILLER

I got one in 06 and took a crock pot full of roast to a church carry in.There was'nt enough left to make a good sameech and everyone said it was good.I like it but it was a young one bout 150#
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

cheyenne

Super nice bear. Bear meat is my favorite, Just have to get all the sinew & fat out when preping it. I have a hind quarter smoked & just shave off strips to eat for months it's great....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Thank You Sponsors!