iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

About How Long To Cut

Started by billyjean, October 26, 2018, 03:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyjean

I am wondering about how long it would take a pro logger if all equipment is already on the property to log (clear cut)this red area

billyjean

billyjean

all ground is flat and easy to walk

Southside

Not trying to be crass, but what are there 30 maybe 40 trees there?  I could lay that down with my feller buncher in an hour, skid it off in another hour.  That being said, I would not move my equipment for such a small job, so you are more likely looking for someone with a small skidder or tractor and chain saw.  Then it's a few days. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Was thinking the same as Southside, what equipment? With the right heavy machinery they would be finished before lunch. But unless the equipment was already next door doing another larger job, nobody is going to move that sort of machinery in for a small job. My local logger buddy would clean that up quick with a chainsaw and a 20 ton excavator with grapple, and tidy up the mess too. But it would still cost more to move the machine to site than the logs would be worth. 

So that means smaller machinery like a small skidder / tractor / skid-steer etc, and more manual work with a chainsaw, so maybe a couple of days?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Frozendozer

looks more of s job for a tree service then a logger

billyjean

You guys nailed it, it is a guy who is next store with a skidder and chainsaw. Just trying to estimate the workload. He is talkin about hourly work

Frozendozer

should have it all down and piled in one day I would think.

Ianab

Quote from: Frozendozer on October 26, 2018, 08:56:07 PM
should have it all down and piled in one day I would think.
Yeah, something like that if you are happy for him to leave the tops and limbs for you to clean up in your own time. If you expect a manicured park left behind, it's going to take more time and $$. Difference between logging and tree service / landscape gardener.  "Clean up" for a logging crew is usually just to push the brush into a burn pile. 
Anyway if the logger is there, he can eyeball the job and give you an estimate of how long it will take HIM to do it. Cleaning up the mess yourself saves him time, and therefore you $$. Discuss this before you start, so you both have the same expectations about how things are going to look when he's done. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

billyjean

About how long does it take to cut and load one full size semi truck load?

maple flats

Is it just one man or a crew? Too many variables. The more men and equipment he has, the more he gets done in a day, and the more $. Just ask him, agree on what he will do and what you will do if anything. Then make your decision. Don't take too long or he will be gone, then it will either cost a lot more or it may be impossible to get him to come back. Most loggers will not do such a small job, but being right there changes that a lot.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

craigw

You need to realize you have only one option and that is the outfit next door. If you want it done and he is willing to do it then that is the deal. More than likely this guy has plenty of work so if you take to long to decide and he gets finished with the job next door he is not going to wait a couple days for you to decide. He will move to his next job and your opportunity has slipped through your fingers.

mike_belben

Beware that this is also the most common scenario where someone gets a wham bam thank you maam hit and run logging mess they later regret.  

It can still work for you but your chance for negotiating is now, not later.  You want something scribbled down and signed by both of you saying what the percentage of share will be (50 50 or 60 him 40 you etc) abd whether your check is cut by the logger or the mill.  You can say you want copies of the log tally for your records and that is sort of a "better play by the rules" statement in the event youve got a fly by nighter, it should reduce the tendency to be taken advantage of.  The more you sound like you know whats what the less chance youll get burned. 

And finally the after cleared condition is what youll want to agree on because youll be looking at it a while.  The more you want the contractor to do, the smaller your timber share will be.  If you agree to do more of the finish up, negotiate towards more of the share.   Also find out about taxes, timber is income.  Who is the mill recording for a 1099 taxable income distribution?  

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

PS.  If i were to ever hire a logger, id do 2 things.  

1.  Show up with coffees for the crew and handshakes and smiles in the morning etc.

2.  Let them all see me with a clip board, tape and wax crayon keeping my own scale to compare to theirs. 

Its my timber, so i will measure it all i want.  These are small subconscious sort of messages that make up what others think of you and thus how they treat you.  Im a nice guy, who isnt gonna be taken advantage of is the message.   Be nice, be firm. 

Praise The Lord

John Mc

You guys are talking about shares for a clearcut less than 1 acre. I'm thinking they'll be lucky to get out of this without owing money to the logger. Maybe those trees are actually worth something, but even if the guy is a half mile down the road, there is not a lot of return to be had for the hassle of getting there. (I'll be the first to admit, I could be all wet. I don't do this for a living.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on October 28, 2018, 10:35:12 AM
PS.  If i were to ever hire a logger, id do 2 things.  

1.  Show up with coffees for the crew and handshakes and smiles in the morning etc.

2.  Let them all see me with a clip board, tape and wax crayon keeping my own scale to compare to theirs.

Its my timber, so i will measure it all i want.  These are small subconscious sort of messages that make up what others think of you and thus how they treat you.  Im a nice guy, who isnt gonna be taken advantage of is the message.   Be nice, be firm.
Being a contractor if I had a land owner do that on a job I'd pack up and leave, an active site is an active site no place for the public or the land owner.

Frozendozer

it's a small job, knock em down hook em up and drag them to a pile.  2 guys 1 day.   I am a logger not a landscaper.    the trees are yours.  cut them up and let them dry to firewood quality and enjoy.  you'll have your view.

Maine logger88

Quote from: John Mc on October 28, 2018, 11:40:57 AM
You guys are talking about shares for a clearcut less than 1 acre. I'm thinking they'll be lucky to get out of this without owing money to the logger. Maybe those trees are actually worth something, but even if the guy is a half mile down the road, there is not a lot of return to be had for the hassle of getting there. (I'll be the first to admit, I could be all wet. I don't do this for a living.)
I log for a living and agree 100 percent. Closest I could count there is about 25 trees there hardly worth doing for the price of the wood. Unless the logs are fairly valuable or the guys operating cost is very low
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

John Mc

Quote from: Maine logger88 on October 28, 2018, 04:45:15 PM
Quote from: John Mc on October 28, 2018, 11:40:57 AM
I log for a living and agree 100 percent. Closest I could count there is about 25 trees there hardly worth doing for the price of the wood. Unless the logs are fairly valuable or the guys operating cost is very low
And this may all be just fine with the original poster, if they are looking to open up their view. They may just be wondering how much out of pocket they can expect to be, since the logger has quoted an hourly rate.
Some good information here, especially the comments about making sure everyone is clear on what exactly is being done by the logger and what is being left for the landowner.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Southside

Quote from: Skeans1 on October 28, 2018, 11:52:50 AM
Quote from: mike_belben on October 28, 2018, 10:35:12 AM
PS.  If i were to ever hire a logger, id do 2 things.  

1.  Show up with coffees for the crew and handshakes and smiles in the morning etc.

2.  Let them all see me with a clip board, tape and wax crayon keeping my own scale to compare to theirs.

Its my timber, so i will measure it all i want.  These are small subconscious sort of messages that make up what others think of you and thus how they treat you.  Im a nice guy, who isnt gonna be taken advantage of is the message.   Be nice, be firm.
Being a contractor if I had a land owner do that on a job I'd pack up and leave, an active site is an active site no place for the public or the land owner.
Around here more and more wood is going by the ton, not to mention that scaling is an art as much as a science.  An approach like that can come off quite wrong. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

I said thats what i would do and i stand by it for my region.  We have logging operations of every size (how many F250s with bunks out your way skeans?)  Lot of con men out here and its tricky to sort them out before hand.  Thats their craft, putting you at ease long enough to score and scram. Ive given the best advice i can to outfox the hidden bandit and that was my goal.  The OP can disregard if it doesnt apply
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Industrial scams go like this... 

"Hey im in the neighborhood sealcoating and i notice your driveway is getting cracked, yeah super cheap.   .... Dont mind the rainbow runoff water when it rains thats normal for a while."

Its diesel engine oil. 

"Hey i just paved a driveway down the street and my son ordered too much asphalt for the job/the guy only had us do half of what we thought/we measured wrong, its going to harden in my bed ill cut you a great deal.. Spread and rolled for $x per sq yard."  

After its down he says its $x per square foot.  This happened to my dad and i was real close to a brawl with stans paving on route 20 in palmer mass over it (dirtbag)

I was hired to repair two really bad residential logging jobs in my life.  Both were 

"Oh hey im next door logging for your neighbor and..."  

Just something to consider.  They cant all be bad, but the bad ones are at it every day.  Buyer beware. 
Praise The Lord

Lumberjohn

"Hey i just paved a driveway down the street and my son ordered too much asphalt for the job/the guy only had us do half of what we thought/we measured wrong, its going to harden in my bed ill cut you a great deal.. Spread and rolled for $x per sq yard."

Funny, I had that offer twice in my life. I didn't take them up on it though, my driveway is cement and not a thing wrong with it the way it is/has been for the last 60 years.....

killamplanes

If that was here. And I was approached with that small logging job and I was next door. And there was a few good trees. I would feel you out to see if you were going to be annoying. If not I would do it for 1k t keep the logs I want pile the logs I dont and you own the tops. I'm one guy, skidder and and trucks. That's me that's here. If they were all walnuts or wo veneer might be free or even buy. But that's border line tree trimming service stuff.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Thank You Sponsors!