iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question for the CTL guys.

Started by BargeMonkey, December 29, 2017, 01:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

I'm waiting to hear back from the forestry salesman, he sold it to this guy, find out exactly on parts, they still make that class of buncher. Yeah you can order a new cat forwarder still, salesman at Boonville tried to talk us into a 564 that was sitting there for 380k new.

140 miles north of me, wasn't a bad ride. I'm going to go back up after talking to Cat and he will get it going. This machine wasn't beat, not all banged up, got in the cab, hit the switch and the engine door opened. I see a few little things, missing the roller covers and 1 cover on the stick. It is the large cable, not a 4 wire computer from what I see. He bought it for a job, used it and kept it as a back up, I think for the money it's not a bad deal. It's not small, I think it's a touch wider than my Timbco and longer track base, he has the books for the machine and the head, said it weighs 57,800 which isn't to bad.
Now... and I'm under the impression that this is the dumbest thing possible....  this guy has a new Ponnse processor... owns 2 grapple skidders and a 384 prentice slasher, cut and delimbs for the skidder, zero forwarder. Says a couple other guys up that way also do it.

1270d

He bunches with a ponsse?   That's interesting..   doesn't seem like it would be at all competitive with a tracked buncher

Skeans1

We do that from time to time doing long log I'll the longer wood into the center or slightly off row center for the logs then pulp I'll put into the thinning for the forwarder.

Skeans1

Quote from: 1270d on December 31, 2017, 08:55:36 PM
He bunches with a ponsse?   That's interesting..   doesn't seem like it would be at all competitive with a tracked buncher
Would it be much different then what we do out here doing CTL long logs?

BargeMonkey

Quote from: 1270d on December 31, 2017, 08:55:36 PM
The guy didn't even blink, stutter, nothing. I said I was under the impression that it doesn't work, he said 2-3 other guys are doing it, he has 2 big grapples, had a pull thru down by his shop he uses when on small redpine.

barbender

There's a few guys around here that run a buncher, and then a 703 Deere processor behind it, delimbing in the woods tree length, then skidders and slasher. I tell some of these guys, you already have that wood in the head you might as well cut it to length and forward it.
Too many irons in the fire

Skeans1

All I have to say is Robyn at Fabtek had set ups like this for 30 years it's nothing new I still do 36' fir CTL in the woods a short log is 20' pulp length if you're interested contact me.

bushmechanic

Looks like a nice machine and I can't get over the low hours on it. I have to disagree with snowstorm on the computer cable size being an issue. I used a Logmax for the last three summers with the larger cable and never had any problems with the wiring. Actually found it to be simpler than the canbus system to troubleshoot, not that either bothers me. One ground for everything and then a single wire to operate a function, simple. As for the carrier most parts are off the shelf for whatever machine make. For example on a 1010D John Deere all the hydraulic pumps and motors are Bosch Rexroth. Wish that machine was close to me I might buy it and go into business for myself  :D

1270d

I've bunched/limbed with the harvester a little.  It didn't seem to work at all but maybe we didn't do it long enough to work it out.  It was a good way to get a few edges that the buncher couldn't get and clean up the softwood without moving the pull through to the site.   

1270d

I'm interested in learning more bargemonkey.  What kind of wood are they operating in and what production level?

BargeMonkey

Quote from: 1270d on January 01, 2018, 07:20:41 PM
I'm interested in learning more bargemonkey.  What kind of wood are they operating in and what production level?
I can PM you the guys #, I think they cut alot of hardwood and softwood.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: bushmechanic on January 01, 2018, 08:03:04 AM
Looks like a nice machine and I can't get over the low hours on it. I have to disagree with snowstorm on the computer cable size being an issue. I used a Logmax for the last three summers with the larger cable and never had any problems with the wiring. Actually found it to be simpler than the canbus system to troubleshoot, not that either bothers me. One ground for everything and then a single wire to operate a function, simple. As for the carrier most parts are off the shelf for whatever machine make. For example on a 1010D John Deere all the hydraulic pumps and motors are Bosch Rexroth. Wish that machine was close to me I might buy it and go into business for myself  :D
Finally tracked down the Cat salesman and doing the paperwork for it, salesman says it's going for a steal, it sold for 150k 3yrs ago. Milton handles logmax, salesman told me there is no issue for parts on the machine.

Thank You Sponsors!