iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3/8 7-pin picco sprockets

Started by Mad Professor, August 09, 2010, 12:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Professor

I've found someone who will manufacture 3/8 7-pin picco sprockets.

A quantity of 4-20 will run $28 each, which is not much of a savings over the spur.

Anybody else interested so I could order a larger run to get cost down?

If there is enough interest I'll see what a larger run of 50-100 might cost.

I'm not looking to make money, just cost + shipping.

This is for large spline sprockets , e.g. to fit 066/660

P. S. If I can get a bigger order cost will be ~$19 plus shipping

sgschwend

Pardon my asking but what would this sprocket is used for?  Slabber attachment (14 pin)?

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Mad Professor

Quote from: sgschwend on August 10, 2010, 12:03:23 AM
Pardon my asking but what would this sprocket is used for?  Slabber attachment (14 pin)?

For 3/8" 0.050 picco/lopro milling chain (5-10 degree top cutters).  Less kerf/waste and a quicker cut as you remove less wood.  Gives surface as good as any band mill.

I use it on a Logosol mill, but an Alaskan or any chainsaw mill can benefit from it.  Only current sprocket for large spline saws is a spur that is EXPENSIVE!

This will also facilitate going from picco to regular crosscut chain (e.g. 3/8 RSC) on the bigger saws as you just change the rim/bar

Mad Professor

I just talked to Ed. He is going to do a small run and I do not have to be the middle man.  ;D

I'm in for a few of the first run. If others have interest please contact Danzco.
I won't leave him hanging and will buy up ALL of the lot if there is not enough interest.

http://www.danzcoinc.com/

I hope there are enough millers out there to support this as a commodity for Danzco to provide as a regular item. It's up to you CS millers.

Best,

MP

P.S. Milled ,heat treated, solid steel stock used, not cheap cast/powder, should hold up real well

John Mc

Quote from: Mad Professor on August 10, 2010, 09:29:51 AM
This will also facilitate going from picco to regular crosscut chain (e.g. 3/8 RSC) on the bigger saws as you just change the rim/bar

I thought the picco sprockets had a slightly larger OD than standard 3/8 sprockets with the same number of pins. I think this is to make up for the fact that the rivets on picco chain ride closer to the sprocket due to the different chain link profile. The larger OD on a picco sprocket should accommodate the rivets at the same spacing as the higher profile standard 3/8 chain on a slightly smaller sprocket.

If my understanding is right, then using the same OD sprocket for picco and regular 3/8 chain would mean that one of those chains is not going to fit right and will be more likely to jump off or at least have accelerated wear on the drive links.

I may have this all wrong. I don't run picco chain, and have never measured the sprockets myself. Sp somebody set me straight here...

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mtngun

Quote from: John Mc on August 10, 2010, 07:57:29 PM
I thought the picco sprockets had a slightly larger OD than standard 3/8 sprockets.

If my understanding is right, then using the same OD sprocket for picco and regular 3/8 chain would mean that one of those chains is not going to fit right and will be more likely to jump off or at least have accelerated wear on the drive links.
You have it mostly right.   Picco/lo-pro requires a slightly larger rim diameter than 3/8" chain, for the reasons you stated.

You do not want to use the same rim for both, you want to be able to switch to the appropriate rim.    It only takes a couple of minutes to switch rims if the saw has an inboard clutch.

But ..... that has not been possible because no one made a picco/lo-pro rim for the standard spline size.   What Mad Professor is saying is that now, for the first time, you can buy a picco/lo-pro rim that fits a standard spline.

BTW, in my testing, lo-pro mills an average of 25% faster than 3/8" chain.   

Mad Professor

Thanks , could not have stated it better.

I asked for 7-pin as milling takes a LOT of HP/torque.  I'm in the east and mostly milling hardwoods (ash, oak, maple, beech...), even a 066 w/16" bar is taxing things if you feed too fast.  Thats's the reason for 7- vs 8-pin.

You might also try to keep bar size < =25" as picco chain was made for little saws.  I've milled a LOT of hardwood with my 066, but only up to 25" bar.

P.S. I've got to get chains now. Anybody have a source for sthil PMX chain in the USA other than Logosol?

John Mc

Got it. I misread Mad professor's statement "you just change the rim/bar". I thought he had said "you just change the bar", which did not make sense to me.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!