iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

strawberries

Started by caveman, February 17, 2017, 10:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

The strawberries we bought when there were at a roadside stand and the Market of Marion.
No cheap but good.
I paid 3 bucks a pint at Marion.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

caveman

My co-workers accepted "donations" for 216 more flats today while I was occupied with yard bird running gear.  I did take a break to unload them off the trailer.  Just got home a few minutes ago and had a bowlful for supper-plum larruping (old saying).

Caveman

horselogger50

Hoping this year to have a good crop of strawberries arond our garden.

SwampDonkey

Plant City berries up here this week for $4.88 for 2 lbs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

caveman

We moved 216 flats yesterday for $5 a flat donation.  I just had some more on Blue Bell ice cream.  They were very good.  The festival begins soon.  My parents said there was a line like at Disney at Parksdale Farms' market today for shortcake and strawberry products.  Many of the growers are already spraying the fields with glyphosate and getting ready to grow squash.

I planted my home garden last weekend.  The only seeds that have sprouted are black eyed peas. 
Caveman

Magicman

And I thought that black eyed peas only came from the grocery store.  :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Price correction, Flats were $10 yesterday. Bought 2 more to cut up and freeze.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

caveman

One of my coworkers got 116 more flats today.  Most are already gone. 

Caveman

caveman

Raider Bill, your $10/flat strawberries were evidently not a champion flat or a smoking deal.  Yesterday, while I was driving our FFA nursery and landscape team home from their state contest in Apopka, one of the kids mentioned that the champion flat of strawberries at the Plant City Strawberry Festival sold for $8,000.  How many dollars does that cost for the average berry? 

Plant City, which is in Hillsborough County, puts some real money behind their festival winners.  As another example, the grand champion market hog sold for $20/pound Friday.  At our county fair in January, the champion market hog sold for $5/pound-Polk (my county) abuts Hillsborough County.
Caveman

Raider Bill

I heard on Bay News 9 that the Strawberry festival is the 40th largest fair in the country. Considering that it's bigger than 10 state fairs  that says a lot.

SwampDonkey

Who would ever think, with a lot of the farms going to suburbia down there.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 06, 2017, 10:37:55 AM
Who would ever think, with a lot of the farms going to suburbia down there.

Florida is funny like that. You can go from beaches/ tourist traps/ Mickeyland/suburbia/inner cities to rural/farm country in a half hour drive. Drive east out of crime ridden Tampa just a few miles and you are in old Florida Cracker country.

caveman

Florida's second leading industry, behind tourism, is agriculture.  Polk County was know as the "World's Citrus Capitol" until fairly recently.  Our state is a leader in winter vegetables, citrus, and is 5th in the nation in beef cattle production.  Believe it or not, forestry is Florida's leading agriculture industry.  In addition to this, south of here, a lot of sugar cane, avacados, mangos and other crops are grown.  Central Florida leads the nation in tropical fish farms too-I probably drive past 4-5 on my way to work depending on the route I take.

Like Swampdonkey stated, a lot of land that was previously in agriculture, especially citrus, has been replaced by residential or commercial buildings.  The citrus trees like well drained soil.  Most folks also prefer to live on well drained sand hills as opposed to poorly drained swampy areas. 
Caveman

SwampDonkey

Shame though good farms get absorbed in the housing. Hard to grow good food on a marsh. Up here a wetland is easily a new building lot with fill and rock on top. Lots of that from the glaciers. ;)

Raider Bill

We need room for Yankees and our funny sounding neighbors across the Northern border. :D :D

SwampDonkey

If I was you I would send them back where they belong across the border.  ;D :D

Magicman

food6  I am a bad man.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on March 11, 2017, 09:49:11 PM

Blue Bell Home-made vanilla ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

caveman

I have a weakness for Blue Bell vanilla and strawberries.  Magicman, that is a smaller serving than I expected you to have unless that is your second or third bowl.

Blueberries are almost ripe here and a friend of mine has a 25 acre field.  Once the price falls, we will go out and pick a bunch of those.  I mush the berries, heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds and put them on Blue Bell vanilla too.  The berries we picked out of that field last year were amazing.
Caveman

LeeB

Quote from: Magicman on March 11, 2017, 09:49:11 PM

Bad man? No, lucky yes. I wish I could eat like you and remain thin like you do.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Yes, Blue Bell.

caveman, that hand is PatD handing me the bowl after she had finished eating her part.   ;D

sandhills

I agree with Lee, heck I think you just have good taste  :)

sawguy21

You just had to show me that, didn't you. :'(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!