iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your thoughts on a crazy idea?

Started by Lone Duck, October 22, 2012, 06:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneDuck

I've been reading for a while but never posted.  Now I have a reason. I just got a SCMI sc600 and hope to start milling lumber on it. I've seen alot where they push the log through the saw but I would like some feedback on an idea of pushing the saw through the tree. I would like to build a trolley that the saw rides on tracks. There are a few reasons that I would like to try this. I would use less room and can cut longer logs. With a little modification, I can get a 20" cut by removing the table.  The other thing would be setting it up so the place that will hold the log could double for indeed and outfeed tables. I'm just throughing ideas around right now and would like some feedback. I bought a house with shop that is 56' by 24' that I plan on making my woodworking shop. So I will have room but any space is valuable. I would love a bandsaw mill but the one I would like cost more then the property and all my woodworking tools cost. Hell the property was only $10000. I'm very mechanical and can build what I need. All am looking for is do you like this idea and do you think it will work? Thanks

dgdrls

Welcome aboard,  send some pics  and someone here will chime in,

Best
DGDrls

b dukes

beenthere

lone duck
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

What makes you think this is a crazy idea?   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Slabs

I'm crazy too.  Sounds like a plan.

Welcome to the best gang you'll ever hang out with.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

sawmillhand

Welcome to the forum  please add pictures and ask many many questions.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Sawdust Lover

Sounds like some good times are just around the corner! Welcome aboard!

LoneDuck

I live around Cedar Rapids Ia. Tried to upload pictures but it hard from the phone. I managed to get a picture of the saw to my gallery.  As for crazy, most think you have to feed the wood into a stationary bandsaw. It just seems like a good idea when thinking about it. A portable mill feeds the saw through the log so why not use mine like that. So do you think it could work? I could make the trolley move in and out. The main problem is how to keep the log stay stationary. Any suggestions on how to hold the log?

mikeb1079

so if i read it right you want to take a shop bandsaw and turn it into mill?  it'll probably work, but some issues i think you may run into are:

horsepower....how big of a motor is on it now?

speed...i'm not sure how fast my 18" rikon turns but it's way way slower than a bandsaw mill made to cut green logs to lumber (someone corrrect me but i think a bsm runs somewhere between 5-6k fpm?

are you planning on dismantling the shop saw and reassembling or trying to use as is?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Ianab

I'd suggest you start looking at some of the old time sawmills and how they worked. A lot of older mills worked exactly as you describe, as do a lot of newer high production commercial mills.

Modern portable mills like many of us use keep the log stationary and push the saw through the log, but this is mostly about the size, weight, length and cost of the mill. If you are moving the log, the mill needs to be 2X longer than the log. Moving the saw head, the whole mill is only a couple of feet longer than the max log length. But this doesn't mean you can't do it that way in a fixed location.

Any old logging or machinery museums nearby? A visit to look at some old sawmills might give you some ideas. These mills worked 100 years ago, no reason you can't build one that works the same today. Local museum has a number of old mills, even some wooden sash style mills. Only metal parts are a bit of hardware, rollers, and the blade. These were built in the bush 100 years ago, so nothing high tech about them.

The log is held in place by "Dogs" which is a sort of toothed clamp arrangement. Then you move the dogs in and out to position the log. The carriage stays on the rails, the dogs are moved side to side on the actual carriage.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

drobertson

Welcome to the forum Lone Duck,  I almost have to say it might depend on how you plan on off bearing the lumber. Which end of the saw? fixed blades will have a conveyor, so on the return no boards to deal with. Just a thought.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Sawdust Lover

Thats not crazy! Thats alot of guys dream! Good luck with it and welcome.

LoneDuck

I use to help my dad with milling on a Hud son, I'm familiar with milling. As for speed,  I'm not sure the differences but I belive they would be close. I will look closer at it. The dogs are the thing I'm trying to work out. I understand that I would need to make one cut to make a flat side then put that down to hold down.  Will i be able to hold enough off the table to cut but still be able to hold it steady?

thecfarm

Lone duck, welcome to the forum.I will help you out on the picture from your phone.

Seems like a foreign member made one from a band saw too. He laid it down, like a bandsaw mill and used it that way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Axe Handle Hound

I have often had this same thought and my plan was to use the carriage from an old circle mill to hold the log.   

bandmiller2

Ducky,why not just find and restore an old handset circular mill their everywhere, most can be had cheap, and you'll have a real mill.Save your bandsaw for the shop were it belongs.But if your heart is set go ahead there are many ways to slice a log. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

OP was:
Quotebut I would like some feedback on an idea of pushing the saw through the tree. I would like to build a trolley that the saw rides on tracks.

Why try to reinvent the wheel here? Get a commercial WM, Baker, Norwood, Timberking, EZ Boardwalk or .... and your "crazy" idea becomes a reality. The log is dogged tight, and the saw is moved "through" the tree.
Much more free from the headaches
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LoneDuck

Thanks for the picture. As I make out SCMI is the industrial side to Mini Max. As for why I would like to try and make this, I make log furniture on the side and this will open a lot of opportunities for me. This id not my full time job yet. I will not be milling all the time but I have access to a lot of very interesting logs that most mills will not work with. For the $600 for the saw and access to the steel I need, I can make a nice addition to my shop. I would love to have a full mill and someday hope to get one. For now I have to do with what I have. Like I said previously, I plan on making an out feed and in feed tables that will act as the hold down area for the log. Then with a little moving I could use the band saw as it was meant to be. I think having this option of using the saw in two different functions will work best for me. So I will continue taking any suggestions on any of this as I start to design it. Thanks again.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

drobertson

After seeing your saw I have to say, save it for finish work, get a mill, anykind, dry your lumber, and cut finished pieces with the verticle bandsaw.  Unless you just want to play and wrestle logs.  It will come to you on what you want to do,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mikeb1079

so are you thinking of keeping the saw vertical while passing thru the log?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

LoneDuck

Ernie

Quote from: Ianab on October 22, 2012, 08:36:52 PM
Local museum has a number of old mills, even some wooden sash style mills. Only metal parts are a bit of hardware, rollers, and the blade. These were built in the bush 100 years ago, so nothing high tech about them.

Ian where is the museum?  Sounds like it would be worth a drive one weekend.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

QuoteIan where is the museum?  Sounds like it would be worth a drive one weekend.

My "Local", I mean in NZ.  :D

Kauri Museum at  Matakohe in Northland.
But if you are up Auckland way, it's worth a trip up there for the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgB2TO3pyCE

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!