iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing project 2019

Started by customsawyer, February 03, 2019, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

If any of you who are attending Jake's project want to spend a little time doing dendrology (tree id) and wood id, it might be a good diversion.  There are a lot of posts on the FF trying to id certain trees or wood.  With folks coming from all over, we could cover a wide spectrum if each of us brought a few local samples.  
There are some that give me fits - mainly the ones that I do not get to see often, like white spruce vs. red spruce.  If anyone is interested, I'll bring a couple dozen leaf and wood samples of the species abundant in central Florida. 

Danny (WDH) may even bring some challenging samples if we encourage him.
Caveman

terrifictimbersllc

I have a board I'll bring.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

Oh no, not another mystery board ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

Quote from: WDH on March 22, 2019, 08:40:07 PM
Oh no, not another mystery board ;D.
You might want to consider bringing your microscope or whatever you use to magnify the cells.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

I am bringing a Mystery Specimen 'specially for ??  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Danny doesn't need a microscope, he's a sure nuff wood whisperer.  He ID'd a log for me the other day, over the phone.  I just held the phone next to the log, he talked to it, then listened for a second or two, then told me what it was. I think he called it a rare "Osageash."  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

I would think WDH could just smell the wood and know what it is  :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Bruno, with a few species, you can go just that.

YH, your customer's "osage orange" did not have enough osage or orange in it ;D. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

Wish I could attend 
My be next year if there is one.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

If I dont get Kimchee I'll bring a small sample of venison jerky which is all I have left.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

We will bring a side dish and drinks .
Ken
Lowell, Michigan

YellowHammer

I would suggest everybody bring a folding chair for themselves.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Nomad

Excellent suggestion.  The amount of suitable equipment to sit on is very limited. ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

YellowHammer

Yeah, the worst part of going to Jake's place is how expensive it is.  He's got so much nice equipment, I never seem to visit without driving home saying "I need one of those!" and bang, another bank note. :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

PA_Walnut

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 24, 2019, 08:33:21 AMYeah, the worst part of going to Jake's place is how expensive it is.  He's got so much nice equipment, I never seen to visit without driving home saying "I need one of those!" and bang, another bank note.

Oh, NO!!! Say it isn't so. I might be faced with imminent divorce afterwards. :D
Looking forward to meeting you all, and getting some new ideas. 
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

customsawyer

If y'all need one so bad you can buy this whole shebang and have at it. I'll even coach for 6 months or so if the price is right.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Southside

Of course 5% goes to the Forestry Forum right Jake?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

I'm going to get you a T Shirt that says "Team Sawmill - Coach" on it.  :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Sixacresand

We will bring side dishes both days.  

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

doc henderson

If there is down time and you all are interested, I could review the "stop the bleed" info.  takes about an hour and teaches use of tourniquets, quick clot, or whatever you have.  review a little on active shooter.  best if i can dongle my phone to a tv for the video.  might be good on the job, or on the way home on the road.  Off topic, but if interested would be happy to do.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Doc: great suggestion, I'm in.
Most of us are involved in activities that make it a lot more likely to be in a situation where we can help save a life. . . or our own.
A refresher course or an update on new techniques, is sixty minutes well spent. 👍
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

thx Andries.  I usually have the stuff in my pack and will bring it.  we can see if there is time and or how many are interested and will do it if desired.  Would also be willing to facilitate a discussion r.e. cookie cutting and drying.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

K-Guy

Doc
I thought you just stuffed sawdust in and wrapped it with electrical or duct tape? :D ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

doc henderson

No that does not work unless you add some spit and dirt to hold it all together. lol

caveman

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 24, 2019, 08:33:21 AM
Yeah, the worst part of going to Jake's place is how expensive it is.  He's got so much nice equipment, I never seem to visit without driving home saying "I need one of those!" and bang, another bank note. :D :D
You are speaking the truth Robert. 

Several years ago we bought a manual mill thinking we would be content to saw a few logs. It has been a very precipitous and slippery slope ever since.  We plan to add a battery so that we can have hydraulics anywhere and build a small wood sterilization box soon.  We will probably wait until after the weekend at Jake's to start these projects.  Of course with all of the Jones' getting vacuum kilns...
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!