iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sliding away, a sequel !

Started by isawlogs, February 21, 2013, 07:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Well we where square in the middle of a snow storm that lasted two and a half days and left me  doing tractor duty in the morning and evening for a few days.... Had to stay busy in between tractor runs.  ;D

I had cut some trees down for fire wood and was cutting them up, I got a few logs out of the butt and cut the rest up to 16", as I had brought the whole tree with tops still attached I was looking at that and trying to see if there was anything I could do with it.. the top that is ....   smiley_lit_bulb   cut_tree
The beginning.  smiley_smug01

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

I did a little wittling here and there a little bending was involved also.

A little drilling was made, some wedges where cut on da bandsaw.

Going to go easy on da dial ups..    :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

Where not done yet, need to do some more work to it, but here is a looksee at what we are doing with the top of the birch.

The seat is a live edge white ash with the center peice of elm. Joan, that is part of the sawing we did when you came to visite.   :)

The side peice needs to be attached and bent at the back, I will use some "Babiche" ( I think it is rawhide in English) to lash that peice to the post and also together at the back once it is bent.

Marcel

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

thecfarm

Why,Jeff doesn't.  :D  I'm all set now, I saw that thread of Jim Roger about the 100 amp breaker. I put that on here,no more blown fuses from too many pictures.  :D  Bring it on!!!!!  ;D

Another Maiden Voyage.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Cool !
So the two rails on top are to hold on to ???

I love rustic things like that.  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

isawlogs

Yes, they are to hold on, this is more a sled to haul the kids around. It would never survive a down hill ride. It is there also to hold the cushion or I was thinking more like a sheep skin or two, or maybe some natural rug... as in bear or what ever. Lots of beaver around here.  :D

Marcel

Lud

Great looking sled.  Should be good for deep snow.  What'll you pull it with?  Four-wheeler?

I have the 10' long bob-sled Dad got us back in the 60's.  He'd pull it with the tractor in long sweeping curves out in the snow covered fields.  We'd tie a rope off the back end and hook our saucer sleds in a chain.  Then we'd pull someone in closer and let go.  The slack would almost always dump them when it jerked! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

isawlogs

Oh ya ! I remember those , we had one on the farm. It was used to haul fire wood with the horse we also had a smaller one towed behind the big one and we did the same, ya had to be real good at staying on to stay on it  :D
This one would not stand being pulled by anything other then a person, I only built it to put the little ones on it and pull them around. Daughter has friends with babies and they go for walks and have these poor looking things as sleds. I put this together thinking of them and once finished will bring it to her.  :)

I am putting together gathering the parts for a bigger one to be hauled by the four wheeler.  I am not sure yet as to the size it will have, more then likely around six feet long or so.

Marcel

Mooseherder

What a great looking sled Marcel. :)

okmulch

Really neat looking sled Marcel!

Did you make this sled to haul the test pilots Mooseherder and Raiderbill to the hospital when they crash the tobboggan? :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

SwampDonkey

It's the sled fever Marcel. Once you start make'n them they keep multiplying. I never got my red sled out yet, I don't want to get the neighbor's kid all jelous. He's just got a ski-doo you know. :D

Great little birch sled. Will could come in handy around the barn yard toting the hay or an oat barrel or bringing downhill an armload or two of firewood for the stove. I used to use a small handsled to haul out axe handle and paddle wood. All downhill from the woods to the house. A 10" - 6' green yellow birch bolt is heavy paddle wood before it's whittled out. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

It is deffinitively catchy  :D , I aint gonna use this one for that, I have plans for another just for that porpuse.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 23, 2013, 07:31:09 PM
A 10" - 6' green yellow birch bolt is heavy paddle wood before it's whittled out. ;D

They built sawmills to help with the whittling, just saying    ;D :D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Axes are cheaper. And you only have to feed fuel to one part to start her up. My mouth and a good breakfast. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Do you split it in two and make a paddle off of each side ???

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Yes, and yellow birch will split easy right down the middle. I usually didn't have to start the axe down it very far with many hard blows from a maul, then it was basically just taps. This was winter time stuff. I've got to dig out a set for a photo. The ones I think I can lay my hands on, should be in the canoe and are over 20 years old now. I've made some in later years, but not for awhile. Those all left the shop in others hands. :D

lowpolyjoe

Looks great !  Love the live edges or whatever they're called  :)  Classic looking

thecfarm

My step son brought up someone that grew up in NC. I treated him to some sliding,he's never been before. But all I have are those plastic ones. I do have a couple of the metal runners ones but no hard packed snow to use them on. I gave him a quick rundown and went down first. I told him when he put the sled down to hold onto it or it will take off all by itself. I got down to the bottom and the sled is coming down with no rider.  :D  He grabbed another one and on his way he was. The first 4 times was not to good for him,but I enjoyed it.  ;D  The 5th time he made it all the way to the bottom still on the sled. Now he can say he's been sliding.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Banjo picker

Really nice job there Marcel....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

isawlogs

Thanks, I have been away from home for a week or so ans won't be back for another, but I will have some pics then of the sled,I only have a few more things to do to it and it will be done.

Functions for the few weeks here are cat sitting   ::)    While daughter is in Bolivia work related for a week, vacation for another week.

Marcel

SwampDonkey

She'll be bringing back some Bolivian hardwoods. :D You know we have a member down there in the lumber trade. ;)

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Busy Beaver Lumber

Marcel

That Sled is awesome. You have quite a talent
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer